This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lying Complainer

Ok so I work night audit at a small motel (61 rooms). On Friday night I had a no show which means I must charge guest as a no show since we held a room for that person. (keep this in mind for the next exciting chapter)

On Saturday a woman shows up to check in and tells me she has a reservation (which threw up red flags since I had already checked in my last guest) Sure enough she was the person who was a no show on Friday.

I politely inform her that her reservation had been made for Friday and she had been charged as a no show- cue the disbelief and rants about how she had made the reservation for Saturday and it was not her fault.

Now (keep this in mind) I next told her that I would be crediting her card for Friday's charge and therefore she would be exempt from the no show charge. I told her that since we were nearly sold out tonight it would be a room with two queen beds instead of one single king bed. She walked out and I thought that would be the end.

Oh no - it would not be that simple. Her boyfriend storms the front desk not two minutes later and demands a king bed or they would be leaving. I don't understand the dillema at this point since a queen bed is still a rather large bed. I look in my system and see that our apartment suite is empty so I offer this up. He takes a key to look at room and comes back five minutes later and states that would be satisfactory. I tell him as well that the charge from the night before was in the process of being voided.

You would think this would be the end of it. The situation had been handled to the guest's satisfaction. I believed I had done a credible job of turning the bad situation around. (well you would think wrong) This woman went on line and completed a guest survey and said that she would never stay here again because it took turning her boyfriend loose on me to even get the situation handled - and to top it off she complained about the room.

Why did I even stoop to believe that she did a good job of listening to me. I even left a copy of her voided credit card payment at the desk to give to her when she checked out. aaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Quoth figgyx View Post
    On Saturday a woman shows up to check in and tells me she has a reservation (which threw up red flags since I had already checked in my last guest) Sure enough she was the person who was a no show on Friday.

I politely inform her that her reservation had been made for Friday and she had been charged as a no show- cue the disbelief and rants about how she had made the reservation for Saturday and it was not her fault.
    I've had that happen enough that I am usually pretty sympathetic...though we had one unfortunate guy who was supposed to have a 4 night stay coming in on Wednesday no show. When he came in on Thursday, not only were we sold out, but every hotel within an hour in any direction was sold out. Nothing to do for him...he was nice to us, but you could see the frustration (said his secretary booked the room for him).
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

You know some of this ends up on the guest's head anyway. I am sorry, but as a travel agent rule number 1 was double check everything and confirm reservations before leaving the house. We live in an imperfect world, mistakes happen.

Its my expectation that MOST of these mistakes are on the guests's part. Not because I'm a jerk but because I used to be a travel agent. I had a client that I'd priced a trip for come back at me telling me he was booking with that damn gnome on the internet because the rate was $200 cheaper. Then a week later he called me to get me to help fix his reservation, the reason it was cheaper was because he had a crazy flight schedule that bounced him all over and he had one less night at the hotel because of it (instead of Cancun his first night was set to be in Chicago O'Hare LOL) At which point I happily told him that if he needed help with his package at this point he'd need to speak with his travel agent. "But you ARE my travel agent?" "Not on this trip buddy, you should call the gnome."

Comment

Two reasons I suppose - some people don't know how to stop being angry once they start... and some people think that "I am angry" means that others are obliged to appease them.

You removed her reason to be angry, but her emotions were still up there, so ... she apparently felt you owed her something still.

And of course, by complaining she might get a free room cos some hotel corporations cave in regardless. (well i guess that's 3 reasons then, hoping for a freebie from corporate)

Comment

Working...
        X