Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oddly, despite the fact I actually HAVE been unhappy all this last week, no one has commented on my expression. Makes me think they actually CAN tell the difference.

Comment

I definitely have this condition. Have people telling me to cheer up out of the blue with no context all the time, confuses the hell out of me. My mouth actually is permanently turned downward at the corners unless I am actively laughing or smiling. Even if I try to pull it to a "neutral" zone or slight smile, if I look in the mirror I can barely tell the difference. I feel your pain at having people annoy you over how you look.
      "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
      Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
        My reply was something like "Erin, it's 8am. I'm not awake yet and I'm lacking caffeine." I wasn't trying to be rude, that's just how I am at 8am
        My friends mother had us both up their to stay for a week recently. I had to remind her that she'd forgotten that the tone of voice he was using was his 'pre 3 cups of coffee voice' and not him being grumpy or annoyed!
        I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I have a similar problem around medical people. I'll be concentrating on what they're telling me about my condition; and they'll be perceiving my expression as 'worried' or even 'desperately afraid'.

No, I'm just listening, to make sure I understand what's happening to me. You've already explained that (whatever) is not degenerative or fatal, so stop reassuring me and get on to the part about how I live with it.

... and then I remember that I look scared when I'm thinking (or A or D remind me of it).

(Aside: Yes, I fully understand that reassuring patients who ARE scared is part of a doctor's job. I'm just joining in the griping about having misinterpreted expressions. The doc is doing the right thing!)
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

"You would be so much prettier if you smiled" ***fuck you***
            Here Mr Customer, let me pull that out of my arse for you!

Comment

Working...
            X