Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We use butter. Margarine is not allowed in our house. Fun fact: margarine is a manufactured product and is not considered a food or drug by the FDA so it's completely unregulated. They do all sorts of weird chemically stuff to alter oils to turn them into margarine (basically, they rearrange the atoms in it). Butter is at least an all natural product. Of course, if you go putting a stick of it in everything it's gonna clog your arteries right up. I do a lot of baking and my buttercream is made with butter, not shortening, so we go through a lot in a year. There's no way in hell you're going to find decent butter at 50 cents a pound though. That is sketchy as hell.
    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
      Fun fact: margarine is a manufactured product and is not considered a food or drug by the FDA so it's completely unregulated. They do all sorts of weird chemically stuff to alter oils to turn them into margarine (basically, they rearrange the atoms in it).
      margarine is indeed a food and is regulated by the FDA.
      http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...cfm?fr=166.110

Mind you, it's not a particularly GOOD food. They don't so much rearrange the atoms as they introduce hydrogen (hydrogenated!) to vegetable oils, making the fat chains behave more like saturated fats so they'd be solid and stable at room temperature. the idea was to have a cheap butter that didn't have saturated fats. Except whoopsie, the trans fats created in the process are worse for you than saturated.

Some of the vegetable spreads now are made without trans fats, but frankly, I hate tub spreads. I find them watery and not tasty, and you can't bake with them. Ever try to make grilled cheese with a tub spread? It's not pretty. Frankly, I'm betting on the 9 calories per gram of fat to get me before the difference between saturated and trans fat will.

Also, amen on the real butter in the buttercream. I'm a pastry student and I do a lot of baking at home. If I'm going to go to the trouble of making my good italian buttercream, I'm not gunking it up with shortening. The bakeshop at school uses real butter in almost everything we make. The only class that uses shortening to any great degree is wedding cakes, and that's because the emphasis is on decorating, not on the actual cake making, and there's a limited budget. The only time I choose margarine over butter (aside from cost) is when I'm cooking for my no-dairy friend.
      My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

And let's not forget that yummy yellow dye in the oleo (margarine), too ^_^ IIRC, the stuff comes out white-ish if they neglect to include it.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Indeed, and some stick margarines are paler than others. The Imperial sticks are much paler than the meijer or kroger brand sticks.

If my knowledge of pioneer life is accurate* (Laura Ingals, don't fail me now!) variations in the cows' diet would lead to paler butter in the wintertime, and people might dye the butter then, too, if they wanted it yellow. But they used carrot juice.

*srsly, I read this in Little House in the Big Woods. I don't know if it's actually true or not. Grain of salt.
          My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
            If my knowledge of pioneer life is accurate* (Laura Ingals, don't fail me now!) variations in the cows' diet would lead to paler butter in the wintertime, and people might dye the butter then, too, if they wanted it yellow. But they used carrot juice.

*srsly, I read this in Little House in the Big Woods. I don't know if it's actually true or not. Grain of salt.
            I grew up reading those books as well.

My mom grew up on a tobacco farm and my grandmother churned her own butter. Don't recall if she ever had to dye any of it, but the first time Mom ever bought butter from a grocery store was in the late 60's after she moved out of the house and married my Dad.

And IHO, store-bought butter doesn't taste quite as good as home-churned butter, but it's close.
            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I read those books too, and I seem to recall the carrot juice in the butter as well. I need to re-read them soon. It was very interesting to learn how they prepared food back in the pioneer days (anyone want some head cheese? Heh heh heh...)
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

margarine is indeed a food and is regulated by the FDA.
                http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...cfm?fr=166.110
                Well, that's a change, then. It didn't used to be.
                Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                  Well, that's a change, then. It didn't used to be.
                  Not really a new thing (though the regs were recently updated) - I found some old copies of 21cfr166 going back as far as 1982.
                  Life: Reality TV for deities. - dalesys

Comment

*snip*

Really? That sounds ... interesting. Wonder how much it changed the flavour of the butter? Not to mention you would get some additional vitamins and minerals on your morning toast.

Comment

Working...
                    X