• I Cut Like Copier Paper Because I Care

Sometimes, karma is just a tad too sweet

Cast
    ----
    Me = Me
    SC = Sucky Customer
    M = Manager
    CW = Co-worker

These first parts are from memory and so therefore shortened.
    5 Weeks Ago, As Remembered:

I have been taking calls for 2 weeks now, after a bloody-minded 6 weeks of intensive training. I'm still slow, but all right. SC calls in.

*standard call greeting, gather machine information, bring up contract; the machine is an enterprise-level office color printer*

Me: What seems to be the problem with the machine?
    SC: It's kind of complex. We're printing duplex on 11'x17' paper, four pages to a side. It's then quartered and cut for printing.
    Me: Ok, essentially creating paperback book size pages, correct?
    SC: Yes.
    Me: Got it. Go on.
    SC: We're noticing that the duplexed side is off from the first side. The words are skewed. You can see it if you hold it up to the light.
    Me: Ok. When you say skewed, how far is it skewed?
    SC: I don't know. It's just skewed.
    Me: Can you fax me a page?
    SC: Sure!
    *faxes a page over*
    Me: *squints* So the words are skewed. Ok...I think I'm seeing a difference of maybe 1/2 a compass degree. That should be within the specs of the machine.
    SC: Oh, that won't do for us. We need it to be perfectly aligned.
    Me: Oh? Why?
    SC: We're printing for publication and everything needs to align. We can't send this to customers with it skewed like that.

A light bulb dawns on me.

Me: Sir, are you doing desktop publishing on this machine?
    SC: Of course!
    Me: Ok. What type of desktop publishing are you doing?
    SC: *tone of the disbelieving* What else? Print-on-demand!

Long Story Short: The explanation SC gave is that he is starting a print-on-demand business, similar to that of Lulu.com. He would print out books on demand, bind them, and then ship them out. He plans to not only operate these in Texas and the southern states, but also open up branches in South America. He is expecting to print around 5000 books a month on each printer.

Me: Sir, to be honest, this printer is not what you wish to use for that. While it is one of the best color printers on the market, you are going to be doing approximately over 100,000 prints on the machine per month. That's well beyond the life cycle of the toner cartridges, the fuser, and the photoconductor unit.
    SC: I'll worry about that. Just get the skew problem fixed.
    Me: I can certainly send a tech to check the rollers. However, there's a good chance nothing will be found, as the type of printing you're describing isn't within the specs of the machine.
    SC: *snide* We'll see about that! I have another problem too.
    Me: Ok, what is the problem?
    SC: It won't do a full bleed on the paper.

For those who don't know, full bleed is edge-to-edge printing, no white space. Like you would see on a paperback book cover.

Me: What does it do?
    SC: It leave what looks like a few millimeters of white space on either side of the paper.
    Me: That would be the space it needs in order for the rollers to operate. This printer doesn't do a true full bleed; it has to have space for the rollers or the toner will smear.

Oh dear Gawd, the 'splody.

SC: THAT'S NOT FUCKING GOOD ENOUGH! THIS GODDAMNED FUCKING PRINTER NEEDS TO DO FUCKING FULL BLEED OR I'LL FUCKING RETURN IT AND GO TO XEROX!!
    Me: *frosty* It does not do a true full bleed. No printer [MyCompany] produces does a true full bleed. This is an office printer, not a desktop publishing printing unit.
    SC: THEN I'LL GO TO XEROX AND USE THEIR [BLAH].
    Me: *clickety-click* Specs on that machine show it does the same full bleed our machines do, sir. Any office printer requires roller space.
    SC: *menacing* Then what the fuck would you suggest I use?
    Me: If you need a true full bleed and are doing the print runs you describe, I would use a color digital micropress.
    SC: That costs thousands more!
    Me: Yes sir, but it would do the job.
    SC: Just send the fucking tech. *click*

I notate the call and dispatch the tech. For the printing uninitiated, let me lay this:

[MyCompany] Uber-Color Printer:

- 40 color pages per minute, 40 B&W pages per minute
    - holds up to 1100 sheets of paper
    - 600 DPI
    - cost of about $6000

Standard Color Digital Micropress

- 48 color ppm, 184 B&W ppm
    - holds up to 15,000 sheets of paper
    - 4-600 DPI
    - cost of about $15-20,000 for a low end, $50k+ for a high end

Now, tell me, which would you invest in for your soon-to-be-expanded print-on-demand business?

================

4 Weeks Ago, As Remembered:

M: Hey, BIC, can you c'mere for a minute?
    Me: Shit. Sure. *go in meeting, exit to office* What's up?
    M: Close the door.
    Me: Shit.Shit. *shuts door, sits down, waits*
    M: Do you remember a customer by name of SC?
    Me: Shit.Shit.Shit. Yes, that I do.
    M: Ok. His sales rep just called in. She says that you told him to go to Xerox.
    Me: WTF? Ah, hell no. No, I definitely did not. Here's what happened: blah.
    M: That's no problem, I figured it was like that. Although, you know, try to promote [MyCompany] as much as you can. We don't have anything that would work for him, but *eye roll* you know, we can't exactly say that.
    Me: Yessir. Gotcha, boss.
    M: All right, that's cool. Don't worry about, I got it taken care of. I already went over the recorded call, so we don't need to do that.

==============

Today:

CW: Hey, man. Need you to go into meet for a moment.
    Me: Sure. *meeting* What's up?
    CW: They got me working on this guy, he's a real nutcase. I saw you did one of his calls a while ago. His name is SC.
    Me: SC?
    CW: Case number blah.
    Me: Oh, HIM! Yeah, I remember him. He's the one doing the print-on-demand thing.
    CW: Yeah, man, that's the guy. Can you brief me? I've got to do a write-up.
    Me: *gives gist of call*
    CW: He's shit out of luck.
    Me: Why's that?
    CW: He's pissed off two of the three service techs in that area screaming at them. They refuse to go to him. Now the third isn't going out 'cause he's over his service contract counter limit and he doesn't want to pay the 190/hr.
    Me: Really? What's his print counter?
    CW: Somewhere around 350,000.
    Me: 0.0 Dude. Monthly cycle is supposed to be no more than 40,000/month on those machines.
    CW: Yup. He's also gone through 2 photoconductor units and 3 fusers. He's saying he can't afford the toner anymore or the service calls and he can't get his books out fast enough to make more money.
    Me: Mmmm. Did the techs tell him that the machine wasn't good for that business?
    CW: Yup. Several times.
    *shrugs all the way around, CW goes off to write report to corporate saying that the contract with the client needs to be terminated for abuse of the machine*

Moral of the story: Use the right machine for the job.

-BIC-

SC is trying to use a child's play hammer to drive a railroad spike. (No offense meant toward OP's company.) Gotta love the SC mindframe.
    This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

Damn, dude, if you're going to compete with Lulu, you need equipment like Lulu's.

(I was rather pleased with what I got from them.)

Comment

Holy shit, he's trying to full blead 11 X 17? Hes' trying to do print on demand books on a copier like that, and he's running up meters that high and killing the fuser units that fast? My god. Talk about someone jumping into a business that they have no business getting into. If you don't understand that in order to get a full blead you have to over print on a larger sheet and trim it down then you don't belong in the business. If you don't understand that there will be a certain degree of skew and offset allowable in the equipment specs (set by the manufactor) and all copiers/printers have them, then you have no business doing this kind of work. This guy is more then a SC, he is a complete and utter tool.

P.S. he would have known that the recommended duty cycle for that machine is only 40,000 per month if he researched it prior to getting it (I've done all my homework everytime i've picked up a new copier myself).
        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

I like this one:

SC: Then what the fuck would you suggest I use?
          um, a machine that's designed to do what you want to do?

Just a thought...
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

I love it!

Those self publishing companies are the devil anyway, nice to see another one that's soon to be out of business.

Comment

*blink* wow. just wow. That's like sending out a horse and buggy to tow a Full-sized, 3/4 ton, extended cab, crew cab, fourwheel drive truck with lift kit and huge mud tires.
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Yeah, buddy. Nothing like using the right tool for the job.

Good luck finding that full bleed copier.

Idiot.

Comment

I think that findind a full bleed copier is going to be like finding a fart in a jacuzzi.

Funny thing is I made a similar mistake once. I bought my first inkjet printer back in 1997 it was a Canon BJC-600. I also started an Internet RPG store selling all sorts of Geek Games.

It was also a good way for me to be able to get my books at the cheapest prices I could as I could get reseller pricing.

Anyway I was running the business off of this printer and it only lasted me 5 months before the print head started to die.

I was miffed. Brand new printer and I'm already looking at buying a $190 print head for it. So I call Canon's tech support and I'm ready to pitch a big old fit, swearing that I'll never buy another Canon. I'm on hold and I'm reading the manual (something I rarely did at the time) and I found the duty cycle of the printer.

I hung up before I got to a live voice. I saw that the print head was rated for three years of use at "X" amount of prints per month. I quickly did the math and figured out that I did six years worth of printing on a three year printhead and I did it in half a year.

Oops, my bad.

When I realized that the printer's death was my fault and not the printer itself I went out and bought a printer that did the job I needed it to. I'm on my 5th Canon printer since then.

M
                  I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                    Hes' trying to do print on demand books on a copier like that, and he's running up meters that high and killing the fuser units that fast?
                    Oh heck, it's not even a copier. It's just a printer, nothing more. An enterprise-class color printer with beautiful capabilities, but still just a printer. It's based off of one of our more successful copier units. I wish I could post the model, but it'd be a dead giveaway to my employer.

-BIC-

Comment

Oh, wow. I'd have hung up when he started cursing.
                      "Because that's how magical meteoric size-altering space goo works." IMDB Message boards.

Comment

While there is a part of me that feels a small, involuntary twinge of sympathy for someone who's sinking themselves on expenses that badly, the vast majority of my brain is responding that natural selection is way too damn slow and we should find this guy and speed it up.

*sighs* Sometimes I wonder if it's bad my brain votes by committee...
                        "Maybe the problem just went away...maybe it was the magical sniper fairy that comes and gives silenced hollow point rounds to people who don't eat their vegetables."

Comment

My sympathies for you. I answer the switchboard for a well known copier/business machine company and I get my share of screamers and cursers. I've been authorized by my manager that should anyone curse as I me, I can hang up on them.

I usually warn them ahead of time when they start in that if they continue, that I will disconnect the call. Most of them do calm down, but there have been a couple of times where they continue. And they have been hung up on.

The only problem is that if they're still on a contract, chances are it's probably written in fine print that they'll have to pay a hefty penalty to cancel.

Also it's never a good idea to piss off the techs. You don't screw with the person who's fixing your machine. ever.
                          Random conversation:
                          Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
                          DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                            I answer the switchboard for a well known copier/business machine company
                            Hmmm. The letters CVC don't happen to mean anything to you, do they?

Quoth fma_fanatic View Post
                            Also it's never a good idea to piss off the techs. You don't screw with the person who's fixing your machine. ever.
                            That's the straight truth. Strange how those parts can get delayed in delivery...

Comment

Working...
                            X