• Show
Clear All

• Burnination Is Bad

Jesus please us, this just happened.

Me = Me
    SC = Sucky Customer

*receive call, get serial #, bring up machine info*
    Me: So what seems to be the problem?
    SC: There's a burning smell coming from the copier!
    Me: Ok, turn it off NOW. Red power switch on the side. Also, unplug it.
    SC: *clickety-clack* Ok, I got it.
    Me: Where is the burning smell coming from?
    SC: Ummm....it's the upper right-hand side.
    Me: Damn, that's the fuser. Of course. Ok, open up the duplex unit and look in there.
    SC: AW FUCK! It burned up my t-shirt!
    Me: .....what?
    SC: My t-shirt! It burned it!
    Me: Sir, what was a t-shirt doing in the machine?
    SC: Well, this thing does these great color copies and I saw it does thick paper so I wanted to do a transfer onto my t-shirt and I put it in the bypass tray with some transfer paper on top and sent it
    Me: How in the NAME of HOLY GAWD & THE BABY JEEBUS did you get the rollers to push a t-shirt through? Must be damn thin.
    Me: Sir, this machine can't take transfer paper.
    SC: It can't?
    Me: No, it can't. It uses heat to fuse the toner to the paper. The was coating on transfer paper melts off onto the fuser. I'll need to send a tech; the machine is going to be unusable until we determine what's wrong and can fix it.
    SC: Ohnoproblemdon'tworryaboutitI'lltakecareofitThanky ouBye. *click*
    Me: Phwah? *check account* *notice SC name is not the name of the primary contact* Huh. Crap for him. *note call an hour ago....where the rep told SC it can't take transfer paper*
    Me: Oh, motherless son of a goat.
    Me: *dispatch tech, refer to previous call, damage is billable, probably will need full copier replacement*

Dude. If the nice tech lady earlier said don't do it, DON'T DO IT.

-BIC-

Captain: What you say !!

Seriously, he probably heard, "Blah Blah Transfer Paper blah can blah be used blah blah"

I hope the tech lets you know how it fares.
    Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

I swear, love, you get some of the worst customer SNAFU's I've ever heard. You told me just the other night that transfer paper in those copiers was A BAD THING. I don't even know what copier it is, but I know I'm not putting transfer paper in any of 'em, right? So what made this doofus think he was smarter than you or the nice lady previous? Did he never notice that the fresh copies are all hot? Which would imply there's a massive heat source in there? Which in turn implies that something melty would not do well in there? Not to mention the sheer stupidity of shoving a t-shirt through a copier. Brilliant, just brilliant. Sheesh.
      There is a slight flaw in my character.

Comment

Quoth ladylabyrinth View Post
        Did he never notice that the fresh copies are all hot? Which would imply there's a massive heat source in there? Which in turn implies that something melty would not do well in there?
        Y'know, babe, I wish I could tell you. But like I was talking to the others around here, this happens an average of once ever 2-3 months with transfer paper and at least twice a year with t-shirts. No joke.
        It's just..... I really, really don't get it.

Comment

Quoth BlackIronCrown View Post
          this happens an average of once ever 2-3 months with transfer paper and at least twice a year with t-shirts.

But... but... copiers aren't made to take cloth... most of them have trouble even with cloth/paper blends! My brain hurts. You owe me dinner and a movie for that.
          There is a slight flaw in my character.

Comment

When I worked at Kinko's, we had a chick call wanting to know if we could copy onto a...wait for it....

A coffee table.

I kid you not.

Think THAT might get stuck in the rollers?

Comment

A..coffee table?! How...why...did...ack. I better stop trying to puzzle that one out before my brain cells stage a mutiny.
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

i think dreamstalkers avatar captured my reaction to the coffee table nicely.

stupidity like this makes baby jesus cry.
                Kim: She's got one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

I'd like to exercise my constitutional right to not give a fuck.

Comment

Well, I'm sure when I had the initial conversation with the girl over the phone, my face was much like Dreamstalker's avatar, too.

In her defense, though, given the number of busses driving around the city that are printed on (and I worked for the place that did that, too!), I guess it's not really all that crazy a question. I mean, if someone can print on a bus, I guess it's not so nuts that someone might be able to print on a coffee table. She could have taken it to a place and had a Scotch print applied to it or something.

And a lot of folks don't know the difference between a copy shop and a print shop, so I'm gonna give her the benefit of the doubt that maybe, just maybe, she wasn't a complete drooling burned out light bulb.

But it's still a funny story.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                    And a lot of folks don't know the difference between a copy shop and a print shop, so I'm gonna give her the benefit of the doubt that maybe, just maybe, she wasn't a complete drooling burned out light bulb.
                    I'm going to grasp at slim straws and assume that is the case - otherwise my reaction is only going to be ".....the fuck?"

-BIC-

Comment

(After reading OP)

*Sniff......sniff.......sniff.....*

Hmmmmm, something's burning!

OH NO!! It's my BRAIN!!

Mike
                      Meow.........

Comment

One moment, sir. Our tech is on his way to your location. You'll know him by the way the air smells like burning. He should be there, oh, about now.

Thanks for calling, and have a nice day.
                        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                        X