This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Ellf View Post
    They're basically a tank that is used to store and heat up water. This water then flows through your hot water pipes in your house/apartment to whatever you need it for.

Most places have one.

And if you weren't being serious, I'm running on three hours of sleep.
    I must have misread your post..I thought you were talking about a "water heater" on the computer screen. Figured it was a "new technical term" for something on screen.

Comment

I wonder if there's a way to convince customers that gaudy websites use more electricity.

"Okay, we want a little kitten chasing the mouse, a pair of eyes that follow the pointer everywhere, a background of sparkly eagles, an autoplay MIDI file of "Nearer my God to Thee," a pop-up where visitors have to register to receive E-mail from us before they can read the site, at least three webrings, a counter, and our 17-minute commercial playing in the corner there in an unstoppable window."

"Hm. Have you considered how much wattage a site like that will take up? All those features are going to pull down more power than an air conditioner. The kitten alone costs about seven cents a day. Far better we design something simple and informative."

"Oh, I hadn't even thought of that. You're right; maybe it's best if we keep it simple."

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        Enough of dasblinkenlights to outshine the sun strobing with enough power to give a tree an epileptic attack.
        Which would make them Epileptic trees, would it not?

Warning: TV tropes link and corresponding time sink...
        "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
          I'd say set them up a Geocities site and see if that make 'em happy. Sites like that are why the little red X box in the corner exist.
          Glad I wasn't the only one who thought of Geocities.

Comment

Quoth Draper Mel View Post
            And check around and see if there are any webrings we can join. Kids love webrings.
            I actually did like webrings... I kinda wish they hadn't faded away like they did. Does that make me a bad person?
            If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
              I wonder if there's a way to convince customers that gaudy websites use more electricity.
              They do use more bandwidth, and probably do increase electric use measurably, since it requires a significant amount of computing power to run the scripting compared to a static page. Yeah, I'd tell the customer it may require heftier servers and they may have to pay more for bandwidth.

Comment

I had a Geocity site - it was plain medium blue background, white lettering. One static image on the front page, links to 3 internal pages, one of photographs I wanted to share. No blinking, spinning, flaming or otherwise active images.

And I did like random walking around webrings now and again, there were some fascinating web pages in the early years.

[and I was geek enough that my Virginia license plate in the mid 80s was CYBER-1. I had to change it after moving to Connecticut because in the 90s it started referring to sex online. *sigh*]
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                X