Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Came very close to losing it on a 'customer'...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Came very close to losing it on a 'customer'...

We had a 3-day sale over the weekend on a few items, one of which was white grapes for 88 cents a pound.

An angry-faced Russian woman came through my lane with a few pounds of grapes, apples and a container of chicken livers (which is leaking, fun fun). I get a royal CBF when I grab a small bag to put the livers in and sanitize my hands.

Me:
    SC: duh
    Imagine everything SC says being delivered in a grating voice at a volume level to rival any live concert.

Me: Hi, do you have your store card?
    SC: *ignore*
    Repeat above. I start scanning. Grapes, apples, livers.
    SC: "How much? How much?!"
    The guy who is bagging for me is a nice kid, but I have noticed he gets extremely agitated if anyone starts yelling, so I try to get SC to lower her voice. No dice.
    Me: *thinking she means the last item scanned* "1.49."
    SC: "I have this!" *thrusts a raincheck in my face for the grapes, along with her card*
    Crap, I recognize her now. She was haranguing our FEM-in-training on Monday about a raincheck for the damn grapes...and she was in the store while the sale was running so she easily could have bought her precious grapes then. If we had plenty on the table, why was she even able to get a raincheck?
    Given that I already scanned the grapes, I have to void them off before doing the raincheck (if it were up to me, 3 day sales would not be eligible). Turns out whoever wrote it didn't get the right number, so I have to nip to the service desk to get a flier.
    SC: "88 cents! 88 cents! You no understand! How much?!"
    Me: *eerily calm, anyone who knows me knows that this is a precursor to my going 'wolf mode' on someone* "Do NOT yell at me. The grapes are 88 cents. I scanned your card."
    SC continues ranting. I can feel phantom ears on my head pinning back, so try to keep my mouth shut.
    SC: "You stupid! 88 cents! You should not work!"
    OK, that's it. I need a reason to get away from this nut before I jump over the counter and try to bite her. I get FEM involved.
    SC: "She no ask for card! I need card! I give her card! She should ask! She should not be working if she not understand!" Then starts in about her apples being the wrong price. I know they scanned correctly, but don't want to say anything else. FEM enters a price + department to humor the bat...so she got charged twice and never noticed (I think what was going on was that if the final price of something was on more than one line she couldn't grasp it).

As it happens, I'm also watching selfscan*, and the one next to my register has a question so I happily switch focus to something I can actually help with. After I finish with that the grocery guy lets me help him out for a few minutes by tearing down some empty boxes in the back.

Later, FEM tells me that she was as pissed off as I was. The woman clearly had issues if she got that worked up over produce...and she had to know how rainchecks worked. This illustrates why we need to enforce bans.

* Scheduling fail. I can't ring and watch selfscan at the same time. Nobody can.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 09-19-2013, 12:39 AM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post

* Scheduling fail. I can't ring and watch selfscan at the same time. Nobody can.
    I understand that. They used to constantly assign my daughter to selfscan as she was the only one that didnt bitch about it, and had no problems handling all 6, but also would make her open up the register next to it and check out people. Then they complain that selfscan has walkouts. On her shifts the only walkouts occurred when they also had her running a register. other shifts they occurred often even when the person didnt also have a register.

Comment

Oh, there's a special place in hell for the programmers of this company. The 3-day-sale stuff was put in the same way the "must buy X" stuff is put in, so it will not show on the screen on selfscan. So cue every customer this weekend screaming "WTF THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE 88 CENTS" while I say "It's already calculated in your total, it won't show on the screen but rather on your receipt" like a robot. It's especially unfun since I have twice the selfscans to watch now...

Comment

Yes. I've lost track of how many times I've had to explain that. Very tempted to post signs during a week with those sales "Yes, all your discounts WILL come off". One of the stores I shop at (just opened in the spring, close to one of my petsitting jobs) has the new SCO units; I have yet to test if the sales show up on those screens.

I prefer selfscan over running a register; I'm too tall for the keypads/screens on the regular lanes so if I'm standing there for more than two hours at a time my feet and back start killing me. I don't mind hopping on to cover a break, but if you know I was scheduled for selfscan don't expect me to stay open any longer than necessary. Especially when the far end SCO needs the assistant key for almost every single item. I need to be over there.
        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
          SC: "How much? How much?!"

SC: "88 cents! 88 cents! You no understand! How much?!"

SC: "You stupid! 88 cents! You should not work!"

SC: "She no ask for card! I need card! I give her card! She should ask! She should not be working if she not understand!"
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfUU6coziu4

Comment

Like most SCs in the wild, they only pay attention when they want to. You ask 'em for the store card and their humming a mindless Barney song in their heads. But get a price wrong and Barney becomes a T-Rex with all the trimmings.
            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
            X