Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hotel Tales: "Makin up the Rules" Edition (lengthy)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotel Tales: "Makin up the Rules" Edition (lengthy)

ID... 10 T

Had a guest come in on my shift the other day. He had booked the room through our website, and showed up around 1 AM.

Since I ask for ID from ALL our guests, I asked him for "Photo ID, and the CC used to book the room."

He handed over the CC, but held back the ID. First he wanted to know what I wanted it for, and when I told him it was to verify who he was, he said "You have my CC, with my name on it, it matches the Reservation, right?"

I insisted on ID, and he held it so I could see it, but still refused to hand it over.

I finally managed to wrangle his ID from him, I then informed him that we have to photocopy ID's from all of our guests (not actually true, but when you act THAT suspiciously, I am gonna take a few additional measures).

He did not like that.

He asked why, and I gave the standard hotel response that we've had guests mess up our rooms, and we weren't able to make additional charges to the CC, so we now copy everyone's ID.

He then demanded that we give him the copy when he checks out (which defeats the purpose of copying the ID in the first place ) and I refused, stating that we need it to make sure the room is in order after he leaves. Then he wanted us to mail it to him, and I told him that wasn't gonna happen.

He then tries to pull the it's against the law routine, stating that keeping ID copies without the individuals permission violates Some Federal Act, and that he insisted we give it back to him in the morning. Whether or not that was true, I'm not sure, and rather than play chicken with the law, I told him that if he didn't want us to retain a copy of his ID, he was welcome to go elsewhere. He didn't wish to take me up on that offer, and finally relented to have his ID copied, stating he was going to make a complaint to corporate (which really isn't gonna care too much).

Did I mention he was a Canadian "Police Officer"?

I'm Gonna Sleep in my Truck

The first half take place before I came in for my shift.

We had a guest check in at the Weekly Rate, which you pay the full amount up front, and it is NON REFUNDABLE (you sign an agreement and everything). He left after one day.

Later that day either he, or someone from his company, called to say that they had someone coming in to occupy that room. To be nice, we agreed to allow them to pick up the remaining days on this agreement.

We shoulda known better.

The woman comes in, and signs the reg. card. The she finds out that the room is on the 2nd floor. Well she can't climb the stairs as she is handicapped. She insists we move the room. Sally can't do this as their isn't a 1st floor Handicapped room available for the remainder of the week left in the reservation. This sends the woman into orbit.

She insists that we MUST provide a handicapped room to anyone who is handicapped, per the ADA (i.e. the law says I'm right). When Sally explains that that is NOT the case, the woman doesn't want to listen.

At some point the woman asks for pillows and blankets, which Sally refuses, as their are plenty of them in the room she is supposed to be in. The woman then says she will sleep on one of our Lobby couches, which Sally also denies her.

She then goes to sleep in her truck. Sally asks the GM what to do, and he says he'll be there soon, and he'll take care of it, but to lock her out of the room.

This all took place around 12:30 AM.

I came in at 1 AM.

At 2:45AM she walks through to use the bathroom, followed by my GM. He asks me if that's the lady, and I say yes, but then retract it, because I never actually saw her before.

My GM starts to talk to her, allowing her the opportunity to get into the original room, but she starts off belligerent. She insists (as she did to Sally) that the company paid for the room with a check, but eventually concedes our point that the OG paid for it with his CC. Since some of the rooms were being held on a management hold, he tells the guest that if she wants a ground floor room, she will have to pay for it separately.

She refuses.

She eventually leaves (after my GM threatened to call the police on her if she continued to sleep in her truck on our property) while threatening to call AAA, our corporate, the BBB, and the company she's contracted with (which doesn't phase my GM in the least).

SC
    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Identification is required

At the hotel I work at we have a scanner which reads the barcode on the back of the drivers license. If the computer can't scan it then we are required to make a photocopy and attach it to the registration card. Everybody who checks in is required to present us with an ID. There are a few reasons for this:

1. God forbid there is a tragedy (fire, bomb) and guests die then we can tell the authorities who was in the room.

2. Sometimes criminals check in and if the cops come around asking about someone we can find the guest for them.

3. We know for sure who was in the room if the room is damaged.

4. We can check the Id against the credit card to be sure the person owns the credit card. We can't check you in with someone else's card.

5. We can be sure you are old enough to checkin. Most hotels won't check someone in who is under the age of 21. I make exceptions only for the military and kids coming to check out the University of Michigan.

Comment

I just can't understand how people operate. If a person is going through these efforts to keep their identity hidden, they're definitely hiding something.

And who would sleep in a hotel's lobby sofa? I know I wouldn't want people that I don't know watching me sleep.

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
        I just can't understand how people operate. If a person is going through these efforts to keep their identity hidden, they're definitely hiding something.
        Not nesicarrily

I've been out and about in the world for long enough at this point to say that 90% of the people who refuse to give out "personal" information are just being contrary for the sake of being contrary. They don't see why they should give it out, so they won't, until forced to.

The remaining 10% is a weird mix of those who do legitimately have something to hide and the actual paranoid.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Quoth figgyx View Post
          At the hotel I work at we have a scanner which reads the barcode on the back of the drivers license. If the computer can't scan it then we are required to make a photocopy and attach it to the registration card.
          Hmm, that's a great idea. I'll bring it up with my husband. Maybe we can add that to our system. We can take a photocopy, sure, but the scanning thing would be so much easier.
          Last edited by MadMike; 10-12-2013, 10:52 PM. Reason: Would you PLEASE stop quoting the entire post?

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
            Not nesicarrily

I've been out and about in the world for long enough at this point to say that 90% of the people who refuse to give out "personal" information are just being contrary for the sake of being contrary. They don't see why they should give it out, so they won't, until forced to.

The remaining 10% is a weird mix of those who do legitimately have something to hide and the actual paranoid.
            There's also the ever growing number of people that have been victims of identity theft. I don't think the SC in the OP was right, but just throwing out a legitimate reason somebody might be hesitant to let their ID's get copied. I like the scanning thing. That's a great solution.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

When people refuse to show me their ID, I put their credit card back on the counter and tell them their card is no good to me without ID, and I can't allow them into the room. We've had far too many people try and check in with someone else's credit card, which is against the law without proper authorization, so I refuse to play games with people. No ID, no room. No negotiations!

Comment

I'd just make 2 copies of the ID and keep one and give one back to him. What he doesn't know won't hurt him.
                "Some times you just need to punch someone in the face"'Dalia Lama

Comment

you know what? If you hold the id so I can ensure the copy matches the id, that would be fine with me. cant speak for anyone else.
                  Last edited by MadMike; 10-12-2013, 10:53 PM. Reason: Please don't quote the entire post. We've already read it.

Comment

IDs

we are required to check your ID to check in, if you need extra keys for your room, if you lock yourself out of your room, if you stop by the desk to have housekeeping or maintenance go to your room, etc. If it has anything to do with your room we check your ID. If you don't have your ID, I'm sorry but we cant help you. This is for your security and our security. We have over 600 rooms in the hotel and I don't know you from Ben Affleck (unless you are batman, always give keys to batman).
                    "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Quoth neon81159
                      Howard Johnson's in Texarkana, Tx took mine to photocopy.. didn't return it..
                      Rule of thumb to fix that is you don't sign anything, hand back the pen, or leave the area of the desk until the card is back in your hand. Whatever you do, just make sure you get it back before you leave. Bites that they didn't find it though. Usually most places find it and store it in the safe or the money room's safe, while trying to contact the person. I'd have filed a corporate complaint.

On topic: Uggghhh, I hated having people argue with me about needing their ID for just a moment. At MW repair, we had to have an ID# for two things and it was a requirement to have them! If you were picking up a repaired item, we had to see an ID to make sure it matched the name on the WO. Don't wanna give it to someone else after all. And we had to have an ID# written on the checks. No, customer writing it on there didn't count! I had to see and write it down myself, to not only make sure we knew who we'd be sic'ing collections on, but to make sure the person using the check was the person on the account.

But UUUUGGGGHhh! You can imagine how many idiots complained that I shouldn't need it for either! It was even sillier when they were picking up an repair and paying us by check!
                      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Just a reminder - If you wish to debate whether hotels should require the actual, physical ID's at all/vent about that, please take it to Fratching. We've already had to delete a FTSTS post.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth king4aday View Post
                          we are required to check your ID to check in, if you need extra keys for your room, if you lock yourself out of your room,
                          I've heard that it's fairly common for people to step out of their room in the middle of the night wearing only a bathrobe (or less), and wind up locked out. Needless to say, they don't have their ID on them. Does this mean your hotel won't let them back into their room?
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth king4aday View Post
                            (unless you are batman, always give keys to batman).

Batman better not need a key to get into a room!

Quoth wolfie View Post
                            people to step out of their room... and wind up locked out.... they don't have their ID on them.
                            Perfect reason to have a copy of the ID with the registration. Man in towel appears at front desk, wanting back into #253, front desk pulls 253's paperwork, ID matches towel guy, boom, he's back in.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              I've heard that it's fairly common for people to step out of their room in the middle of the night wearing only a bathrobe (or less), and wind up locked out. Needless to say, they don't have their ID on them. Does this mean your hotel won't let them back into their room?
                              In this instance we verify information on the reservation. So we ask for the address and phone number on file. This is pretty much the ONLY instance where this is acceptable.
                              "I hope we never lose sight of one thing, it was all started by a mouse" --Walt Disney

Comment

Working...
                              X