Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not my story, but my mothers, however worth sharing.

We used to live in St George, a small country town in outback Queensland, Australia. My mother ran a small computer store attached to the house. Since it was a small town, we got very little in the way of "walk-in" customers and most of the time Mum was in the house with a sign on the door of the shop indicating this.

So, in 1999 Mum is doing stuff in the kitchen and she hears a knock on the door. She goes to the door, opens it, and is quite shocked to see Hugh Jackman and Deborra-Lee Furness standing in front of her.

Hugh was in Dirranbandi, an even smaller country town, about an hours drive away from St George filming the movie Paperback Hero. Because he was going to be away from the city for a while during the filming, he had bought himself a laptop computer and bought an internet connection for him to use during the time away. The problem was he had no idea how to use it.

He had asked around and he was told that my Mum was the person to speak to about any computer problems so he drove over on one of his days off.

So, Mum spent about and hour and a half with the pair of them, showing them how to use it all, setting up the connection, showing how email works, etc. Mum said they both were exceptionally polite, well mannered and easy to work with, and she's never had a bad word to say about them since.

My only brush with "celebrity" is that I'm good friends with one of the actors who played Mr Skyfish in Mad Max 3: Beyond Thunderdome. He also owns a Logie!
    Last edited by HalloranElder; 04-17-2007, 03:32 AM. Reason: Don't you love typos?

Comment

Quoth HalloranElder View Post

Hugh was in Dirranbandi, an even smaller country town, about an hours drive away from St George filming the movie Paperback Hero.
      I love that movie, btw.

Thanks for confirming my own thoughts on celeb interactions, everyone. I think no matter what your job, everyone likes to hear positive feedback, especially the actors/writers/musicians/etc who don't think of themselves as celebrities, but no need to cause a scene, eh?
      "Clothes make the man. Naked people have very little influence in society." - Mark Twain

Comment

Quoth RogueThinker View Post
        And to get back on topic, what do you guys think is appropriate behaviour when serving celebs? Can you ask for an autograph? Should you say you liked their last movie/concert/game/etc?
        I think it is tacky to ask for an autograph if you are working, or for that matter, if said celeb is just trying to enjoy themselves. (If you catch a musician before/after a concert, or an actor at PR event or on set, that is another story.) If they are on their own time, let them enjoy their own time. That is not to say not to say hello or how much you like their work....one can do that politely and professionally, whether working or not.

Personally, my not asking for autographs has resulted in me dancing with/doing magic for [Hot Famous Movie Actress] who I utterly worship, and with me having done magic for/hung out with/had several beers with [Famous Movie Actor/Comedian] on more than one occasion. I don't fawn over them, I am myself with them, and they appreciate it. Because they are regular people.

Well, most of them, anyway. Some of them like to think they are different or above the rest of us peons, and in my opinion, if they are an ass, feel free to bother them. For example, my extreme dislike of Vanessa Williams (from personal experience) is well known on this website. Bother her all you want.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

I have never, ever asked for an autograph. The most I've ever done is shake hands and tell them I like their work. Being respectful like that usually gets me more. That's how I got to jam with 3 Dog Night.

Willie Nelson saw me and some other 4-Hers hanging around that night and asked if we were waiting for autographs, he looked surprised when we told him no, and when we told him that we were making sure the drunks weren't harassing our animals or sneaking into barns, he invited us in for food cause he thought we were cool.

I think being able to tell the story, or just enjoying the experience for yourself is much more important, and valued more, than hounding a celeb for personal attention. (Unless you're a groupie, then you have to follow the general rules for working your way through roadies!) (No, I have never worked my way through roadies!)
          ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
            We get the local city mayor.

He's an ass.
            My God, that's funny.
            "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

I have a couple more celeb stories, one my own, and the other not. Neither are work related.

First, I've spent a bunch of time chatting with Terri Nunn backstage at a couple of shows and at dinner, once. She's my ex's aunt's half-sister. She's an absolutely delightful person. Very warm and friendly and open.

Second is a story that comes to me second-hand from a friend of my boss. His wife used to be a grade-school teacher and was approached at one point by the people who do the show Biography to talk to them about one of her former students. She didn't recognize the name at first, but it turns out they were asking her about "Little Nicki Coppola" who everyone knows as Nicholas Cage. Reportedly he was a very good student.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

We just had Charlie Brown in my store.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
                  We get the local city mayor.

He's an ass.
                  Yea, Same here. Douche wanted to return a pressure washer and used the "I'm the mayor" line. My buddy used the ever great "I don't care" line.
                  90% of the people complain because of the 10% that ruined your day........

Comment

I posted this on another thread, but it bears repeating. Ex-coach Huskers coach and now-congressman Tom Osborne came into the gas station one day to purchase sodas. The line moved too slow, he piled his drinks onto the nearest sturdy surface, and he shouted something to the effect of "CAN THIS LINE MOVE ANY SLOWER?!" and stormed out.

Jerk.

As for asking autographs, I don't do it. I'm pretty against the idea of human beings being elevated above others simply because they're famous. I like to keep them on my level and speak with them on human terms. I've been known to stand an autograph line just to shake hands and say "good job."
                    Your dignity shredded in five minutes or less, or your abuse is free.

Comment

Quoth Red Briggs View Post
                      Yea, Same here. Douche wanted to return a pressure washer and used the "I'm the mayor" line. My buddy used the ever great "I don't care" line.
                      Next time, try "And you're losing votes even as you speak."

Comment

Working...
                      X