This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whaaargh, get AWAY from me

Had a guest come up last night and ask if we had a room for tonight that was an upgrade from the kind of room he was booked for. I looked, no such room. Suggested he come in this morning as sometimes we have cancellations. He asked me who he could talk to, I told him who was scheduled this morning and which one to talk to (he insisted on asking who could help him, and you could easily toss a coin between Manager and Coworker, they both know what's what, but I told him to ask Coworker because I figured she'd be less busy at that hour).

Perfectly normal thus far.

Same guest comes up to me this afternoon (and, with my propensity to forget the faces of people who don't act weird, I don't remember him right away) and thanks me. I'm, of course, standing there wondering what I did (I hope I'm not the only person who BLANKS on people's faces like this ), but I'm able to figure out from context clues what he's talking about (and it helped that he used Coworker's name in explaining). He actually did manage to get an upgraded room this morning, and now needs to be checked in.

I check him in and I'm almost to the part where I give him keys and he asks if he could buy both me and Coworker drinks as a way of saying thank you. I tell him that's quite nice, thanks, but politely decline and also mention that Coworker doesn't drink.

He insists he's going to take me for a drink, and tells me what time he and his wife are going to dinner (which is, incidentally, 15 minutes before the restaurants close, so I just *know* this guy made somebody stay late on Christmas). I thank him, but make no commitment.

At this point I'm pretty flustered, and he goes to the room before he realizes I didn't give him the keys (I knew I forgot to give him the folder they go in, but thought I had handed them separately to him). So he comes back and gets keys and then is all like "I really mean it, I'll take you to get drinks, what time do you get off?"

I give him a vague ballpark time because he's making me really uncomfortable and he's like "Just leave a voicemail in the room, or I'll give you my cell phone number!" And I'm like "ok..." wait til he turns away "um...no..."

There are three very good reasons I turned him down, notwithstanding the squick factor.

1.) Employees are not allowed in company-owned bars or restaurants in uniform or within an hour of their shift. And he was not talking about taking me somewhere else.
    2.) I'm in the middle of 9 work days in a row. If I were to be caught drinking, I'd be drug tested and be out on my ear the next day. Yeah, Merry Christmas (and by this I mean that I'd be drug tested and test positive for alcohol. We aren't allowed to have any amount of alcohol in our system while on the clock. So even if I were off the clock while drinking, I'd still test positive when on my shift the next day, because there's a zero tolerance policy).
    3.) The other kind of "Eeew!" Just....I already have to help you people for 8 hours a day. What makes you think I want to be your buddy?

Seriously, if you're grateful for what someone in customer service has done for you, and you want to thank them, either give them a tip (if it's permitted for them to take tips), or write/talk to management/corporate and tell them what a good job they did! Offering drinks is creepy and weird and...

Am I overreacting? Just the way he offered me his cell number gave me major jibblies.
    Last edited by Dentarthurdent; 12-26-2013, 06:23 AM. Reason: clarifying about drug testing
    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

No, I don't think you're overreacting. Some people think if you do your job well they have to go overboard to express their thanks. But you have a great built-in excuse to get out of it. If he persists, tell him what you said in your post: You are not allowed to, and enumerate why if you have to. Good luck!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I can remember being hard core pressured to accept a drink when I was sitting in a bar waiting for my BF of the time who was the booze manager for the place. Jackass didn't want to take my excuse of 'I don't drink' [at the time I was still on some pain meds for the broken back physio] because I didn't want to announce to some random customer I was there waiting for my BF to get off work. You would think someone sitting at a bar drinking a plain basic cup of coffee [which was in a regular cup and saucer instead of a monkey mug] might be a clue they were not there to get drunk.

[at one point about a week later he was feeding me water in a shot glass to avoid a similar situation, a guy was trying to get me drunk to take advantage of me. I was well hydrated that evening. ]
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

In my part of my culture, the traditional 'thank you' for exemplary service is either a tip (money), or a small gift.

A six-pack of stubbies (beer) is common, especially among tradies. Upgrade to a 12-pack or more for something really out of the ordinary; or to tip a worksite full of tradesmen.

The chocolate and sweet companies have gift packs ranging from small to enormous: they're another way to tip someone. Or to tip a large group: one of the big gift packs would be appropriate to take to an ER.

A thank-you card is also always appropriate. Always. As is a letter; especially one that can be put into the person's file and used to remind the boss that X gives exemplary service.

So no, you're quite right in feeling wrong/funny about being asked to dine/drink with them after work. There are plenty of ways to say thank you that put no pressure on the person being thanked. He should be using one of those.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I think it was kinda creepy the way he just wouldn't accept no as an answer.

Comment

That's the creepiest part of creepers, that they just don't GET rejection. You could slam a 2x4 with a rusty tetanus-infected 16 penny nail through their SKULL while screaming "NO!" And they still wouldn't get it.

That mix of denial of reality and ego is certainly a sight to behold
            - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

A few years back we had a discussion about flirting. Jester and I were on quasi-opposite sides (what a surprise!), until we finally found out that we actually agreed: we were just lacking in the right words.

We coined a phrase.

The 'gentleman flirt' (who may be female) will flirt once, and wait for a response. If the flirted-at responds with flirtation, all is fine and the gentleman flirt will continue for as long as his/her flirting partner shows signs of enjoying the game.
              If the flirted-at/flirting partner doesn't flirt back, or stops flirting back, the gentleman stops. No problems, no harm, no foul, and definitely no whining or protests.

Jester is a gentleman flirt. I'm one of those people who doesn't 'get' flirting. We both agree that the above is a perfectly fine social interaction.

The creep ... is what happened to poor Dent. Starts to flirt, and continues regardless of what the flirted-at says or does. And whines if he doesn't get a flirt response when he wants it. Or worse than whines.

I hate, hate, LOATHEHATE creeps with a feiry passion.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

While this could be a creep, and Dentarthurdent just lost out on a threesome.

There is also the possibility that this is the 'group' lush. I used to work with some guys like this decades ago at GM, each of these people drank too much - but they were sure they were okay because they would invite others to join them at the bar/restaurant, push drinks on them, and feel okay because if you are drinking too then they can't be drinking too much.

People like this are never happy if you just take one drink, they will push and push to have you drink more

Comment

That's also unacceptable (to me) social behaviour.

Comment

Quoth earl colby pottinger View Post
                    While this could be a creep, and Dentarthurdent just lost out on a threesome.
                    Um... this guy was not my type. And I would be oh-so-very-fired.
                    "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                    Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

I would have called him out on making people stay late to make his Christmas dinner. What a dick.

Comment

I used to work at 2 hotels and this used to happen a lot. You were not in the wrong to turn him down. You're red flags were going up before he got too far anyway so it was a good idea to say no. Plus never go against company policy, even if you don't get caught right away someone might accidentally say something to your boss or someone who talks to the boss and you don't need that.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                          That's the creepiest part of creepers, that they just don't GET rejection. You could slam a 2x4 with a rusty tetanus-infected 16 penny nail through their SKULL while screaming "NO!" And they still wouldn't get it.
                          Got a bit of news for you - a railroad tie with track spikes sticking out of it isn't any more effective than the implement you described.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                          X