Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fried Chicken is Murder! (First post! Long)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fried Chicken is Murder! (First post! Long)

Hello! Long time reader, first time poster. Very pleased to be offering my first story.

I work for a small chain of veterinary hospitals as a courier/ bookkeeper/ checksigner. Mostly I do the books and ferry the money and medicines, but I also double as a supervisor type if things get out of hand, and an extra hand for whatever's needed, usually transfers or shipments. Essentially, the owner doesn't want to travel to the hospitals constantly, so I do it for him.

I don't have frequent encounters with customers, but when I do, it's because they're upset. So I didn't have to think back too far to offer up a story.

This one is my favorite so far. The manager snagged me, saying she had a furious lady at the front who wanted to talk to "the boss". Wouldn't speak to anything less. Technically I can speak for him (and let him yell about it later), so I come to see what's what. All the manager'll say is she's got a complaint about the cashier.

So, it turns out the cashier, taking advantage of a slow day in down season, decided to have lunch at the desk. Not the brightest idea with four legged critters running about, but hardly warning worthy. I try to explain this to the customer (a tiny little lady with blue hair). But no, it's not the lunch that matters. No, eating lunch is fine. It's that the lunch is fried chicken.

"Fried chicken is murder!" she chirps. "You are a vet office! You care about animals, but you allow murder in your wait room?! Think of the face you are presenting your customers! You would do well to find more caring staff members!"

I bite the inside of my mouth in attempt to not snigger. "Fried chicken... is murder."

"Yes! What do you have to say for yourself?"

I glance at her leather jacket. "Nice coat."

She did the open mouth scoff thing for a moment, then whirled, nearly lost her balance, and strutted for the door.

The cashier (sweet, sweet gay guy) bats his eyes at the manager. "You're not going to discipline me, are you?"

She snorts. "No, but I'm stealing your roll. Bread is murder, you know."

Oh my dog, all those wheat stalks that gave their lives for that man's roll! And the yeast cells that were cooked alive in a hot oven!!
    How can people be so cruel??

"Nice coat" ! Priceless!

That is a great story...a very wise choice for your first time. I hope you share more.

Oh, and to CS!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Welcome! We need more people with a smart mouth, makes this place more fun.
      I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
      less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Mmm....murder never tasted so good......

Comment

Thanks for the laugh, and welcome. We appreciate folks with a smart mouth and a sense of humor around here!
          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Quoth Skandranon View Post
            "Yes! What do you have to say for yourself?"

I probably would have thrown in a "What died to make it?" just to make sure she got the point.

But then again, I have so little faith in people right now, it's almost pathetic.
            I AM the evil bastard!
            A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

i wonder what she feeds her dog or cat, being carnivorous little beasts... maybe she never read the ingredients on the kibble bag!
              "we're forced to bed, but we're free to dream." TTH

Comment

mm, glorious, tasty, deep fried murder...

i'd have looked at her as if she'd lost her mind, then laughed my ass off at the stupidity of it all.

so she's never eaten poultry, seafood or red meat? riiight.
                look! it's ghengis khan!
                Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Quoth Skandranon View Post
                  Priceless. You are a very welcome addition.

BTW.... I love the gryphon novels and that is my favorite character in that trilogy.
                  Everything sucks. I must be living in a vacuum.

Comment

Welcome to the board, lovely story, funny as hell, loved the "Nice Coat" line.

I think she was well and truly PWNED!

Hope to hear more from you.

Besides, as Dennis Leary once said. "If meat is murder, then murder is pretty damn tasty."

Mongo
                    I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

"i wonder what she feeds her dog or cat, being carnivorous little beasts... maybe she never read the ingredients on the kibble bag!"

She might be one of those idiots who feeds her cats a vegetarian diet. Which to me, is a far more abusive practice than eating a chicken.

At least lopping off a chicken's head is quick.

Comment

We've had people phoning up and expecting us to provide vegan cat food (we do a vegan dog food). We have to point out that cats die without the trace elements found in meat and nowhere else. (There's a new product that came about recently that supposed to be vegan for cats, but we don't stock it).

One famous incident had the person answering the phone telling them to take their cat to the RSPCA so it could be adopted by someone who would care for it instead of killing it.

Rapscallion

Comment

About two hours ago I was in the middle of typing this post, when I heard a screech and a honk outside, followed by a series of crunching sounds. But don't worry, she rode the whole ditch, popped out and caught air, landed in the other ditch and wound up parked perfectly outside the white line (facing oncoming traffic). She's ok, and the road crew, bless their hearts, did their best to replant my iris.

That aside, OP you're a woman after my own heart. And if you can't pick on the jacket, you can usually get em on their shoes.

(LOL I finally got to type something past the word "you're")
                          ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Vegan animal food!? Why!?

Do they hate animals that much? Or do they lack a basic understanding of nature and biology?
                            "Wait... he's alive, but his head's gone..." -Crow

Comment

Yeah, how dare you eat animals that are raised for food?
                              "We were put on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise." -Kurt Vonnegut

Comment

Working...
                              X