This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift Box Lady

Ahhh, another gem from my day at work yesterday (Side-note: It's MY WEEKEND OFF Y'ALL! I have a whole weekend off! But my floor-set is this week...three days in a row of floor-set. BLAH!). It's a quick one but kind of hilarious. So, normally I don't ring on the register unless it's busy because I have too much other stuff to do, but it was busy and so I jumped on the register. One of the part-time managers was standing next to me at the cashwrap filling out some paperwork (important later). So this lady saunters up to my register, plops her stuff down impatiently and before I can do the standard greet, she brusquely asks me, "Do you have any gift boxes?"

Now, this is a common question based on the type of items that we sell, so I don't mind so much when people ask. We do not have any gift boxes, but we do sell some gift bags for a couple bucks. So I politely said, "No, ma'am, I am sorry but we do not. However we do sell these cute little gift bags right here." To which she rolled her eyes at me and sighed loudly. "Are you KIDDING me? I asked you if you have any GIFT BOXES. I need something to put the gift IN to put inside THE GIFT BAG!" as if I were a complete moron. I replied, "No, I am very sorry but we just do not have any gift boxes. I do apologize."

Then she just rolls her eyes again, sighs loudly, and says in a wounded tone, "Well I don't know WHAT I'm going to do NOW!" as if it was a great travesty (and there were not literally dozens of shops nearby that carried gift boxes, as well as a big box retailer across the street and a drugstore just up the road a bit). Then she just stared at me like I was supposed to magically pull a gift box for her out of my ass, or go to another store and buy her one with my own money or something. I absolutely cannot stand when people say the phrase, "I don't know what I am going to do now!" in an expectant tone of voice, as if I am supposed to do something about it. You can tell the difference between someone saying that in a defeated way like, "OH crap, what will I do now?" and in a way of, "You need to figure out a solution for me and if I start quavering a little and fake sniffling, I know you will be able to pull it out of your ass."

I almost wanted to be sarcastic and be like, "Well, ma'am, I'm actually hoarding ALL of the DOZENS of gift boxes we DON'T have in the fabled Back Room just to fuck with people like you." But of course, I held my tongue and just repeated my apology and rang her out. I did offer her the names of some stores that would carry gift boxes and she just sighed at me again, so I finished the transaction and handed her her items. I cheerily told her to have a great day and good luck, when she snatched the bag out of my hand and turned to the part-time manager who was still next to me. She goes, "I'm going to ask YOU this question since I am sure you have extensive knowledge about where everything is in the store. You don't happen to have any gift boxes, do you?"

WTF. I just stood there with my mouth open. Of course the part-time manager replied, "No, ma'am, my manager was right, we do not have any gift boxes whatsoever, I apologize." Then the lady stormed away. Apparently my answer was not good enough and this woman did not realize I was actually the full-time manager but that one actually stung me a little - to blatantly ask another employee for something I just told you we did not have in any way, shape, or form, and to ask in a condescending tone right in front of me as if I don't know anything, just to be nasty, is just mind-blowingly awful.

Did she really think that by treating you like that, she would gain any sort of favor? Unless your coworker was a horrible human being, why did she think she would get anything different as an answer? That is seriously messed up, and I'm glad the other person stuck up for you, in a way.

Comment

Who was that woman? Hyacinth Bucket?
      Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Ah, she operates under the theory that if you ask enough employees the same question, one finally will give you the answer you want to hear.

Of course there also is that definition of insanity as doing the same action numerous times expecting a different outcome...
        "Ignorance is no excuse for a law."
        .................................................. ..................- Alfred E. Newman

Comment

Whuh....She needs to put the gift in a box FIRST before she puts it in the BAG?? Does she not understand the concept that the bag can be used in place of the box???

I could see if it was something really tiny like a small pair of earrings, but she could just wrap those in tissue paper first. I've done that.

Geez. Weird.
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
            it's BOUQUET!
            Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
            What's the difference?
            We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Some people just have to hear it from more than one person. :/

I would say don't take it personal, but she was an ass about it. Chipper it is for her!
              Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

What a rude woman! I can't stand people like that

Comment

Quoth Kristev View Post
                  Quoth rose_metal_nz View Post
                  it's BOUQUET!
                  Ma'am, have you taken your son to see the doctor? He's a little pail.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Ma'am, have you taken your son to see the doctor? He's a little pail.
                    Of course he is, the lad poked a hole in himself trying to take a leak.
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                    X