This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My newest pet peeve already

After a week of working at a gas station, there is already a question I despise.
    "Why are your gas prices so much higher than everywhere else?" (variations, "I was just in Carson and it was cheaper" or "it is cheaper in Fernley" or my personal favorite "it's cheaper up near the GSR")
    Well my friends, there is two parts to that answer.
    First, we aren't more expensive... the nearest gas station that is actually cheaper than us is a little over 5 miles away and requires a membership, everyone closer than that is more expensive than us (well, Smiths is cheaper if you are redeeming fuel rewards, but I'm only looking at advertised price).
    Yes, it is cheaper in Carson and in Fernley, guess why? They don't have a county fuel tax, Washoe county has a county fuel tax on top of the federal and state. So your gas isn't really that much cheaper there, you just aren't paying as much tax on it. As far as why it is cheaper than by the GSR, well, within 2 miles of the GSR there is something like 10 different gas stations competing with each other and they are all selling their gas at cost or even at a loss to get you into their store to buy overpriced soda and candy rather than go to a competitor... we're out in the suburbs (just like all those other places that I mentioned that are more expensive), we don't have to compete with each other to get people into the store... we have to compete with people who are already driving 5 to 10 minutes to get to us and what is an extra 3 to go to Wal-Mart... we actually have to make money on our gas sales because a lot of people are buying only gas.
    The second part to the answer is that I have less than no control over the gas prices... I can't even get anything done by telling my manager that people are complaining because she has no control over the prices... they come directly from corporate. Seriously, here's how a price change works, we get a notice on our cash registers that a price change is going to happen in 20 minutes and then we have 20 minutes to change our sign before it automatically updates our pumps. So all you are doing by complaining is raising the stress levels for both of us without any benefit. You want to complain, here, let me get you the number for the corporate office.
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
    we get a notice on our cash registers that a price change is going to happen in 20 minutes and then we have 20 minutes to change our sign before it automatically updates our pumps.
    20 minutes?! God help you if there's a rush right then...
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Welcome to convenience store work, Smiley. After twelve years of being a c-store slave, I can tell you that those questions will never go away. Ever. Doesn't matter what price the gas is. It could be a penny a gallon and people would bitch that it was a penny too much. I wish I was joking. On the flip side, it's nice to develop a rapport with your regulars, get to know them enough to be able to joke and BS with them. That's one of my favorite parts of the job! Good luck with this new gig of yours!
      "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I would reply to them the exact same thing you said but in the driest, deadpan voice complete with thousand yard stare directly into their eyes, giving them a glimpse of how utterly annoying and common their question is. You'll probably never get to the end as they squirm from your gaze and slink out the store. If there's a line, one answer should prevent the entire crowd from asking.

Comment

I used to live in Pittsburgh and, gas stations were few and far between; the price often varied 50 cents or more, just depending on where you were in town.
          "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
          -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Do you have many people who believe you (meaning the station) make gobs of money because the prices are so crazy high?
            "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
              Do you have many people who believe you (meaning the station) make gobs of money because the prices are so crazy high?
              Of course... because someone has to be making gobs of money off of it

And soon I will have to do my cigarette customer vent.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I started telling them that if I had control over the gas prices wouldn't be behind the register, I'd be behind a desk. They usually shut up.

Comment

Working...
                X