This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go gripe about prices somewhere else!

I'm going to preface this with a bit of information into my state of mind. The Student Stage Production that I've been building costumes for opens on Tuesday. I have a convention this weekend that also requires costumes to be completed. I've not slept more than 3 hours a night for the last week. So I'm still polite, but not as patient as I would normally be.

A pair of women just left my little shop after buying a modest (read cheapest I have) flower arrangement. The older of the two looked at my table of Lucky Bamboo and said "I'd love to be your middle man! These prices are outrageous! $10 for a potted bamboo?!"

I should insert the fact that we have a decent supplier of potted plants, and the bambo in question has 5 stalks and is in a very ornate blue ceramic pot. $10 is reasonable.

"I think our bamboo is pretty well priced. Where do you get yours?" I reply as sweetly as I can.

"I won't pay more than $2.50 for something like that! I buy mine from the Korean Market down on Federal." She says with a pound of condescension for every pound in her Shamu-like body. "your prices are just too high!"

"I've bought bamboo from there and it had bugs, the pot leaked, and the poor thing died after a week. They are inexpensive, but I don't think the quality is as nice." I offered back, still as sweet as I could be.

She continues to rant on about our prices and how the Korean market is cheaper, I tried to talk over her to the other woman who was actually spending money with me tonight. We're actually quite reasonably priced, and it's cheapskates like her that are hurting this business. Bah. </very tired vent>

Yeah, we get that a lot. Usually along the lines of "I'll drive somewhere else rather than pay that!"

Which is fine by me, driving so they can support Walmart or another big box's evil empire (rather than my paycheck lol) is either one or two hours away. Feel free. I will admit some of our margins are steep, perhaps steeper than they should be, but I don't own the place. Still, driving 70 or 120 miles for perhaps a few dollars less..I just don't see it.

Sadly, the majority of people here really do it though. One of our vendors summed it up pretty well; "Your customer base will drive a mile to save 50 cents. And then expect that item to last forever, or be replaced for free years from now."
    Last edited by Strikesfirmly; 04-19-2007, 12:59 AM. Reason: Tired.
    "There are times in your life when you'll have to eat crow. Actually, you don't have to eat it-just hold it in your mouth long enough until nobody's watching, and then spit it out."

Comment

Anyone wanna bet that the customer comes to Fenig's place to return some crappy, dead, bug-infested bamboo, without a receipt?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

*best Marlon Brando voice*

"The horror...the horror..."
        "There are times in your life when you'll have to eat crow. Actually, you don't have to eat it-just hold it in your mouth long enough until nobody's watching, and then spit it out."

Comment

Quoth FenigDurak View Post
          She continues to rant on about our prices and how the Korean market is cheaper,
          "Then go live in Korea..."

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Strikesfirmly View Post
            Which is fine by me, driving so they can support Walmart or another big box's evil empire (rather than my paycheck lol) is either one or two hours away.
            I'm surprised nobody has noticed how Wal-mart (and similar stores) are Borg-shaped

But seriously, why do they think we care if they go somewhere else? To me, that's one less jerk I have to deal with, and (as a customer) more stuff for me For example, the last time I was in the hobby shop, some idiot was whining about how "expensive" certain model (usually Tamiya or Fujimi's "Enthusiast" series) kits are. Never mind that the kits sometimes contain several hundred pieces and have *awesome* detail--Tamiya's recent Nissan Skyline GT-R even includes a sheet of cloth mesh for the grille! (Most cheaper kits just include a solid part.) Yet, in their minds, the kits are always "too expensive." Since I want my cars to look as real as possible, if the price isn't too bad, I'll lean towards the more-detailed one. However, I will *not* pay ridiculous prices for it!

Anyway, getting back to the whining idiot...he was saying that he'd go to Walmart, as the kit was cheaper. Uh, no, it's not! They do not carry Tamiya stuff, so we'll see you again in an hour
            Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

ten bucks for a quality potted plant is VERY reasonable. Apparently, this woman has not figured out that you get what you pay for. She'll replace a 2.50 plant five times, each time thinking she's getting a bargain.

Comment

Alot of folks now days don't understand cost effective. I had a friend tell me that the cheap walmart light bulb was cheaper than the Phillips brand.

He kept saying, it's only a dollar. I tell him. I replace my light bulbs every 2 or 3 years. When you use walmart brand how often you replace yours? He says 3 or 4 months.

He still couldn't get it. Cost over time is very difficult for people now day for some strange reason. Even through it's not that hard to understand.
                I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                  He still couldn't get it. Cost over time is very difficult for people now day for some strange reason. Even through it's not that hard to understand.
                  I think in one of the other threads there's a big discussion about this problem with cellphone users. For some reason in their minds it's cheaper to pay a $200 cancellation fee, a $70 activation fee, change their number AND lose their promotional to get a $500 Blackberry for $250. Or pay a $200 cancellation fee, plus activation and cost of new phone at some other provider because the $70 deductible on their cell phone insurance is 'too expensive'.

However, I think I know where this comes from. Ever notice that if you give a 3 year old a tall glass of milk, he'll say it's too much. But pour that same glassful into a wider, shorter glass of the same capacity in front of them, and he'll say it's just right? That's because very young children have not yet developed mentally enough to comprehend relative volumes. Normally they pick this up as they go along, and by age 5 or so you can no longer fool them with this trick.

These customers are displaying all the cognitive signs of a 3 year old when it comes to relative savings. Explains a lot about their behaviour, too.
                  Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind View Post
                    Most people just see the dollar signs, and assume it'll be cheaper. But, you get what you pay for.

For example, years ago, my father either never took care of his cars, or went to the cheapest mechanic in town. Sure, it cost less, but after having the same repairs done multiple times, or even more-expensive ones because the first ones weren't done right...did he save any money? No matter how I tried, he couldn't figure that out...and would bust my balls when I'd go somewhere else, pay a bit more, and get it done *once* Apparently, the price was more important

*Needless to say, my mother no longer tolerates that crap--get it fixed once, or else
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

The problem here is a lot of people don't understand the concept of Value.

They see the price, and they see the product, but they just can't quite wrap their minds around how the quality is important.

For whatever reason, I'm able to talk little kids around to understanding this odd concept, but if I try it with adults they just flat-out won't accept it. They hear it and can repeat it back to me, but when it comes down to it, they'll still go for the "cheaper now, but 5x as expensive in the long run" option every time.

Me, I'll pay $25 for a florescent bulb that gives stronger light, uses less electricity and lasts nearly forever than buy a dozen replacement incadescent bulbs. (which reminds me that I need to take my florescents with me when I move this weekend)

^-.-^
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Polenicus View Post
                        Ever notice that if you give a 3 year old a tall glass of milk, he'll say it's too much. But pour that same glassful into a wider, shorter glass of the same capacity in front of them, and he'll say it's just right? That's because very young children have not yet developed mentally enough to comprehend relative volumes. Normally they pick this up as they go along, and by age 5 or so you can no longer fool them with this trick.
                        Conservation... one of Piaget's stages of cognitive development. It is part of the Concrete Operational stage, usually beginning about age 7. I think you've met some smart kids if they were catching on by 5 (and dumb SCs of course...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_...ve_development

Cheers,
                        Kim
                        (currently supposed to be studying for a Psychology exam... oooh look, avoidance AND displacement activity! Heh)

Comment

This is a hospital gift shop, right?

At many hospitals the proceeds from the gift shop are used for in-house charities which pay for things that aren't re-inbursed by insurance and government programs. Things like a library for patients, toys for the playroom, etc.

If that is the case where you work, maybe you could put up a sign to that effect. Then you can point it out to make the price-whiners feel bad. It's not like anybody forces them to use the gift shop.

Of course, I'm not actually delusional enough to think my idea would work. My guess is the SCs would start demanding that you give them merchandise for free because you are a "charity" and they are "in need."
                          The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
                          X