This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
    Not to sound like the commercail, but Diet Dr. Pepper DOES taste remarkably like regular DP. Seriously. I'd consider drinking it more often, but Pepsi has such a hold on my heart...
    Sounds like it does on his as well.

Quoth Lurkergirl View Post
    I guess this ends the thread hijack. Sorry if I'm butting in where I shouldn't be.
    I don't know about anyone else, but I think you're performing sterling service for your fellow forummers. Thank you.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
      Not to sound like the commercail, but Diet Dr. Pepper DOES taste remarkably like regular DP. Seriously. I'd consider drinking it more often, but Pepsi has such a hold on my heart...
      I've lost count of how many times I've tried to get her to drink that . . . I actually prefer it myself over the regular - but she can't stand it. She says she can taste a difference.

I give up.

And yes, I do like the Diet Pepsi as well . . . it's great w/Canadian whiskey mixed in.
      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

The biggest problem with a large percentage of diet foods is that the person who is eating or drinking them is craving the sugars or nutrients in the regular versions and so will consume a much larger quantity of the diet versions in a vain attempt to satisfy their cravings. It would be better to figure out what the craving is really for and find a healthier source of that nutrient.

You get cravings for things usually because your body needs something that it would get when you consume the thing you're craving. Unfortunately, diabetics can have notable sugar cravings not because they aren't getting enough sugar, but because they don't have enough insulin to process the sugar they have. (it's like needing copper to process iron, or vitamin D to make use of calcium)

As for why diabetes is so damaging to the body, it's the sugar. Sugar in the blood is a very harsh substance. Over the long-term it does damage to circulatory system, and nervous system. The optic nerve is one of the most sensitive nerves in the body, and that is why diabetics who don't take care of their sugar levels end up with failing eyesight. If they don't exercise enough and/or let their sugar levels get too high, then the circulatory damage will eventually result in the loss of sensation and function to the lower legs, and to a lesser extent the hands as well.

If you really want to learn about diabetes on a continuing basis, there are a few excellent newsletters you can sign up for.

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm so happy to hear you reported it! That's ridiculous! THAT Much candy? Heck the least she could do is buy that sugar-free candy, couldn't she? But taking him OUT of the hospital when he's on Oxygen???? WHAT????? How did she get him out of the hospital anyway? Yeah I can understand maybe slipping him ONE sugar-free candy every once in awhile but NOT while he's in the freakin' hospital! Heck buy him some gameboy games or a gameboy - or heck that dance dance revolution game so that when he gets out he can exercise a bit..... but THAT much sugar? That's seems close to trying to kill him.....

Comment

"Dear Mom, since you are unable to stop giving my son candy, even after I and the doctors and nurses have told you why, you are now banned from seeing my son. I am tired of explaining his diabetes over and over to you. If and when I decide to let you see him again, it will only be as supervised visits. If you try to give him sweets again you will be banned again until you get it through your thick head that you are killing my son."
            Figers are vicious I tell ya. They crawl up your leg and steal your belly button lint.

I'm a case study.

Comment

Quoth DGoddess View Post
              I've lost count of how many times I've tried to get her to drink that . . . I actually prefer it myself over the regular - but she can't stand it. She says she can taste a difference.

I give up.

And yes, I do like the Diet Pepsi as well . . . it's great w/Canadian whiskey mixed in.

For me, it's not the taste, per se--I've found several diet sodas that taste like the normal variety. Dr. Pepper is indeed one of them, so is Vernor's ginger ale.

Sadly, even in the best-case scenarios, what kills it for me is the after-taste; I wind up wanting to get something to kill the flavor that's left in my mouth once the beverage is gone. I've pretty much given up on diet soda as a result.

I've found one odd exception to this--Snapple diet teas (particularly the Peach and Raspberry). I don't know why, but something in them cuts out the after-taste; it works on diet lemonade and other sugar-free powder mixes (ala Crystal Lite), too, so I'm suspecting it may have something to do with the citrus.

Comment

I keep having to explain to my friends and coworkers that the reason I drink diet sodas isn't because I think I'm fat, but because my dad is diabetic (type II) and we never had regular in the house, so regular soda is too sweet for my "palate."

My dad can be a bit of a pain, as he loves candy, especially Twizzlers, choc-covered cherries and malted milk balls, as well as Girl Scout cookies. I'm kind of glad I moved out, just because I can now have those things in my apartment without worrying about him eating them.

A few things I've found/learned through the years? Diet soda gets better the more often you drink it, and putting a slice of lemon or lime (we're big on lime in my family) in your Diet Coke makes it infinitely better. Sugar Free Popsicles (the classic kind-orange/grape/cherry) are actually pretty darn good, and don't taste that different.
                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

This is serious child abuse and you have to report it somebody immediately. Preferably somebody who will do something about it.

If the kid dies at least you can be a witness for the prosecution when grandma gets charged with murder.
                  Total surrender
                  Your touch is so tender
                  Your skin is like water on a burning beach
                  And it brings me relief
                  "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Working...
                  X