This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Dips' Coin-Shop Roundup

These all happened over the last few months. I noted them but didn't get around to posting them until now.

Some of these fall more under the category of weird and/or funny rather than sucky, but that won't stop me from sharing.

Comb Guy

This particular fellow has taken a shine to Mr. Dips co-worker Jane [all names are changed]. He likes to send presents for her along with his order and payments. Usually it's a dirty, beat-up plastic comb which looks like he found it lying in the streets.

Organized Religion

This fellow is named John Doe. He is a mail-order customer who buy precious metals. John always signed his orders "John Doe" until he was, apparently, ordained. Then he started signing them "Rev. John Doe." A few weeks after that he started signing them "Bishop John Doe." Last month, though he got elected to "Pope John Doe." Nobody knows what church he is pope of yet, but he expects to be addressed as such in all correspondence, so that is how he is addressed.

They're Precious!

A woman came in with a bunch of circulated state quarters (25 cent pieces) she gathered from her change over the years. She wanted to sell them. They are worth slightly more than 25 cents each since they aren't rare and are in circulated condition. The store was willing to pay 25 cents each for them since they couldn't mark them up much more.

She not only had a fit that the store was "trying to rip [her] off." She also gave Laura, the clerk, a had time because she didn't wear gloves when handling these circulated quarters. She threatened to sue if Laura had done any damage to the quarters before storming out.

90=100

This was another seller. He had some 90% silver pieces which were very worn and worth only bullion value. He was offered the going rate for 90% silver. He insisted that he get the rate for pure (100%) silver because he insisted that 90% silver was pure silver. Nothing could convince him that is wasn't. He also left unhappy, but convinced he was right.

Back to the Future

This was another mail-order customer. He sent in an order form and his payment two weeks ago. Sadly the order form was from 1989 and had 1989 prices on it. Thank the Gord the boss had a "prices are subject to change" disclaimer on that form. You never know when or why those disclaimers are going to come in handy.

The Money Sniffer

A woman walked into the coin store. She asked to see some of the large-denomination currency which was on display. It's kept in plastic sleeves. She opened the top of the sleeve and took a deep sniff, closed her eyes and...started moaning. Yes. Like that.

Here you go...

Then she stuck her finger into the sleeve and started...stroking the money and...panting.

Laura bravely tried to make the sale, but the woman just stopped, thanked her and left without buying anything.

She's come back and asked to see money since and has been politely refused unless she plans to buy. She just says "OK" and leaves.

Well. That's it for this episode of Coin-Shop Roundup.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Quoth Dips View Post
    Then she stuck her finger into the sleeve and started...stroking the money and...panting.

Laura bravely tried to make the sale, but the woman just stopped, thanked her and left without buying anything.
    Just ... wow.

I really don't know what to say, but I couldn't let it go without saying something... Way to go Laura on trying to sell it - I'll be damned if I would have tried.

Comment

Well, Laura was trying to avoid having to touch the currency again.

However, she didn't think about the fact that at least she had her eyes on the currency at all times and knew exactly where it had been...

Unlike any form of payment the Money Sniffer would have tendered...

Oh. Sorry. Here you go again...

The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post

Unlike any form of payment the Money Sniffer would have tendered...
        Ewwww! Just... Ewwww!
        I used to be disgusted... Now I'm just amused

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
          She not only had a fit that the store was "trying to rip [her] off." She also gave Laura, the clerk, a had time because she didn't wear gloves when handling these circulated quarters. She threatened to sue if Laura had done any damage to the quarters before storming out.
          If finger oils could do so much damage to nickel and copper, why would we be using those metals to make our currency? Say, do you ever get people bringing you wheatback pennies or silver quarters and expecting you to give them a mint for them?
          You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
            Say, do you ever get people bringing you wheatback pennies or silver quarters and expecting you to give them a mint for them?
            Mr. Dips has a rather amusing story about that.

Comment

Laura is a brave salesperson, I would have ran to the bathroom and locked myself in and let Mr.Dip's handle the ........erm.... currency "lover"......... that story requires gallons of
              Last edited by LabCat; 04-21-2007, 02:44 AM. Reason: left out "let"

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
                Say, do you ever get people bringing you wheatback pennies or silver quarters and expecting you to give them a mint for them?
                I used to work for a similar shop, and I can tell you, we certainly did! We'd get people who want us to tell them what their coin is worth over the phone, and couldn't comprehend that we had to actually see the coin to determine its value.

We'd have folks who bring in their beat-to-hell 1923 Peace Dollar that they've been carrying in their pocket since it was minted, rubbing it every day for good luck, banging it against their car keys, pocket knife or other coins, sending it through the washing machine and dryer several times a month, then freaking out because we don't offer them as much money that we are selling the Brilliant Uncirculated 1923 Peace Dollar in the certified slab for!

Every so often, we'd get this call: "Um, I got this, like, penny? And it's got these, like, feathers on the back? Is it worth anything?"
                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                My LiveJournal
                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                  A woman walked into the coin store. She asked to see some of the large-denomination currency which was on display. It's kept in plastic sleeves. She opened the top of the sleeve and took a deep sniff, closed her eyes and...started moaning. Yes. Like that.
                  Ummm . . .so she gets off with the larger denominations.

Not so sure if bigger is always better though . . .
                  Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                    The Money Sniffer

Was it old money by any chance? I've heard it can affect people that way.

Maybe EmoSmurf ought to wear clothes made out of large-denomination money...

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                      Was it old money by any chance? I've heard it can affect people that way.
                      Heh. I suppose we could bottle that up and sell it as a men's fragrance:

"Old Money: It Makes the Unattractive Man Attractive"

I suppose we could also market a female version...

"Gold-Digger: For Golden Memories...and Opportunities"

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                        Back to the Future

This was another mail-order customer. He sent in an order form and his payment two weeks ago. Sadly the order form was from 1989 and had 1989 prices on it. Thank the Gord the boss had a "prices are subject to change" disclaimer on that form. You never know when or why those disclaimers are going to come in handy.

Damn, there goes my chance to get that spiffy spy camera for 50 cents, plus a dime for S&H. *pouts*
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                        X