Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And to prove the point, I have to ask, OP, when you say a check put in as cash. do you mean they just get their check cashed, instead of depositing the amount? Or what? I'm confused. Don't point and laugh at me, please.
    Yep, they ask me to cash the check, sometimes when it isn't drawn on the same bank as their account and deposit it as cash.

Comment

Quoth jb17kx View Post
      A check is not anything! Say it with me: "cheque... cheque.... cheque..."
      That's true only here in Aussie land

Same as, "it's tyre, not tire!"
      Total surrender
      Your touch is so tender
      Your skin is like water on a burning beach
      And it brings me relief
      "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

Quoth jb17kx View Post
        Got it in one, although Americans are the best at it!
        Oh, no. For that, you really need to hit some of the third-world countries.

Comment

I don't know about other states, but it's not legal in California for a bank to not provide funds from a printed, signed paycheck pretty much immediately. I've actually gotten into a fight with Wells Fargo over this and had them remove a large number of "overdraft" charges.

In the US, checks are a form of promisory note, an official form of IOU.

Also, in the US, any private business can allow or disallow any form of payment they want, including refusing to use official currency. If a company wanted to, they could require payment entirely in uncracked green M&Ms, it just has to be stated somewhere obvious and they can't give the impression that they take anything that they don't actually accept. The only people who are required to take "legal tender" are those who are part of the government.

I use direct deposit myself and love it. I am curious how using DD would make budgeting any harder than it normally is. I know that in my company, if you have DD, you get almost the same thing as those who don't, only the part that would be a check has a note across it that says it's not one.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

ok, but is this your check?

I remember when I had to verify every check with a service, stamp the back of the check, and take down the person's drivers license number. One gentleman got all uppity, and stated: "This is legal tender (or something to the effect)"

too bad I didn't state: "Yep, well we still have to check if this is your legal tender."

of course, the most annoying thing about that job: a kid thinking I was going to use up my time to count $5-10 in pennies so he can have paper money.

"Yes, well there's a bank just right across the parking lot, and they can help you."
            "Wha?"
            "Thank you."
            HI, I'M NEW TO ALL OF THIS wave of approval ™©®

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
              I use direct deposit myself and love it. I am curious how using DD would make budgeting any harder than it normally is.
              *Also has direct deposit*

For me, it's great--there's no way in hell I can get to the bank after work. The bank near the office closes at 5, and by the time I get home, that one's closed too. I don't know how budgeting with DD could be difficult. I get paid every 2 weeks on Friday, so I know what's coming in, and usually before then, I know what's going out. For example, I know that the car is going to need new brakes, the house needs some minor electrical work, and that I have a mortgage payment at the end of the month. Until I get paid again, the only things I can get done are the house work, and the brakes. I *could* possibly do the mortgage early...but that would leave me *dangerously* low on funds!
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

legal tender only means that if you are in debt the creditor must accept payment unless there is a pre-existing agreement to pay in some other way.
                DILLIGAF

Comment

Working...
                X