This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "My mom has the reciept!" "I do?"

I used to work as a cashier for a grocery store in Brooklyn that had a small town grocer feel to it. The bulk of our customer's were die-hard regulars, some even coming all the way from Staten Island (if you're not familiar with New York City, this means at LEAST an hour drive), and once you've served them, they never forget you. I still occasionally get people calling out to me "Hey, [store name]!" Now, along with regular shoppers, they also have their share of asshats. A lot of those asshats are folks who think they're smart, and try to run a con.

One particular case was one involving a middle aged-older woman with her mother and the manager of the meat department (I'll call him "T"). Now, one of the many policies held up in this store is that all meat must be paid for prior to being cut/ground up for the customer (unless it's chicken... yuck... I still have nightmares about leaking backs of chicken...). Well, this woman comes to my counter with wrapped up ground beef, all the tags from the steaks she used on the package to be scanned, which had me confused. I was about to scan them when she stopped me saying she had paid for it at the back. I was still pretty new at the time, but I knew there wasn't a cash register back there, so, I asked for a receipt.

Well, this is where the woman really gives herself away. Quickly, she says "Mom's got the receipt!" quickly turning to the previously mentioned mother, she says "Mom, the receipt's in your bag."

Her mother begins searching her her bag, the poor woman, saying "Did you stick it in there? I don't remember you giving it to me..."

"No, Ma, T gave it to you and you stuck it in your purse, remember?"

See, if this were a movie, she would have added extra emphasis to the word "remember" to clue her mother in. But she didn't, because this isn't a movie. And because this isn't a movie, her mother never caught on to what her daughter was trying to do.

"Look, I paid for it, you have to to get it ground up." she says, to which I replied with "Yes, I know, but I need to see a receipt."

Well, this becomes a bit of a back and forth thing, with the crap ass womans mother still shuffling through her bag.

Eventually, my manager, N, tells me to run and ask T if she gave him a receipt. When I ask him, he immediately comes to the front and tells the woman off for trying to scam me (now, I'm wondering why the hell he ground up the meat anyway...).

So, in the end, I scan up ALL four tags (which rings up to $40. That's what you get for wanting expensive burgers!) while the woman keeps on saying "Okay, but I already paid for them..." and her mother looking woefully confused as to what the bloody hell is going on.

Believe me, that wasn't the first, nor the last incident. Though, a rather tame one. I just remembering being very calm (and confused) throughout the whole thing, then thinking "That skunt!" about 10 minutes after she left.
    6/16/2008: Best. Day. Ever.

Things I've Learned: Birth is not a miracle, it's a science, and science is damned disgusting. It's also really, really, cool.
Working...
X