X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's only six inches

Oh what you people are going to do with that thread title

Anyways, we installed some new workstations, replacing the old ones. I go up the next morning to check on everyone and I'm virtually tackled coming through the door. This one woman is furious about her "small" workstation. (For the record, the station is roughly 10' x 10', a palace compared to what you'd get in other buildings). She lays into me asking how I could do this, why would I give her a station so small. I'm dumbfounded at this attack because the dimensions are virtually identical to the previous ones:

Me: Ummm, the stations are the same size.
    SC: NO THEY AREN'T! Look at how much further out those stations are. (pointing out the other stations that haven't been changed yet)
    Me: Oh, okay, well that's just a couple of inches.
    SC: WHAT?!? That's at least a couple of feet.
    Me: Okay, umm, you see these marks in the carpet, that's where your old station ended... see, it's only about six inches.
    SC: No, it's way more than that.
    Me: (pulling out my trusty tape measure), Five and a half inches, that's not very much.
    SC: Well it's way too small, I need it changed back.
    Me: I can't do that.
    SC: Why not?!?
    Me: These decisions are made by the facility manager and your manager, you'll need to discuss it with them.
    SC: FINE!

So I carry on with my business. In the 10-15 minutes that I was there, she made two scathing phone calls to the managers, and had stopped at least a half dozen co-workers to let them hear her complaints about the small workstation.

As an added bonus, I got a call later in the afternoon about a problem with her workstation. The little baby was so upset that she threw a temper tantrum and litterally ripped a door off of the thing. I could have fixed it on the spot, but since she was such a bitch I told her a part would have to be ordered in, let it wait a week, making note on my workorder that it was damaged by use of excessive force.
    D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    Quoth = Crossbow "EvilHomer, Irv, Gravekeeper, and Seraph: the Four Horsemen of the Dumbpocalypse."

Yep . . . six inches is a short subject, isn't it?

I shudder to think how that woman would have reacted if it were, say 8 or 9.

And on that note, I shall go crawl back into the gutter now
    Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

It's not the size that matters...

Comment

I take gymnastics photography at the elite (Olympic) level as a hobby. I am not a member of the press, therefore do not have credentials and photograph from the stands. I am *constantly* fighting with arena/gymnastics officials that my camera lens is legit. I even bought a 2nd lens just to fit into their "less than 210mm and 6 inches" criteria. Grrrrr.

There is no logic to the restrictions other than they don't like fans/amatuers competing with their pros (and we do, in terms of quantity and quality of photos). Or that they're jealous that our equipment is larger.

So yes, I am all too familiar with a fuss over six inches - and every single one of us hobby photographers have made every joke possible (and then some).

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
          SC: WHAT?!? That's at least a couple of feet.
          Me: Okay, umm, you see these marks in the carpet, that's where your old station ended... see, it's only about six inches.
          SC: No, it's way more than that.
          Why do people have so much difficulty judging distance and size? I once had someone tell me that the original iPod was "literally the size of a brick," and insisted so even after I said the standard brick is eight and half by three and a half by two and a half inches. The original iPod was maybe a little larger than a stereo cassette case.
          You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

They say that width is actually more important than length...
            ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
              Why do people have so much difficulty judging distance and size? I once had someone tell me that the original iPod was "literally the size of a brick," and insisted so even after I said the standard brick is eight and half by three and a half by two and a half inches. The original iPod was maybe a little larger than a stereo cassette case.
              Had he not said "literally" and stick to the wrong mindset like he was, that would be a cliche similie. Currently, the most recent iPod could almost be the same size of a cassette right now.
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

It's not the size of the station, it's how you make it work.
                This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

She sounds as though she has been lied to for many years over the difference between inches and feet. No doubt, her husband has also been lying to her over the true distance of 6 inches.
                  Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Quoth Kilamon View Post
                    No doubt, her husband has also been lying to her over the true distance of 6 inches.
                    It sounds like that woman hasn't been getting her 6 inches for quite some time
                    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth evilhomer View Post
                      Oh what you people are going to do with that thread title
                      Ah, you know us way too well.
                      -"One ring to rule them all!"-Elias
                      -Ask yourself, "WWRKHTSCCJ:TMD?"

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
                        Why do people have so much difficulty judging distance and size?
                        Well, we women have an excuse...for our whole (adult) lives, we've been told that this |-----------------------| is 8 inches!
                        Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
                          It's not the size that matters...
                          it's the way you use it...

She sounds as though she has been lied to for many years over the difference between inches and feet. No doubt, her husband has also been lying to her over the true distance of 6 inches
                          Ah kilamon, see how his lies have lead to her creating dramas over nothing, in the futile hope of injecting some excitement in her life.

Last edited by Ackee; 04-26-2007, 12:46 PM.
                          ...but I'm a bastard and so desensitized to the scum of humanity that I'm immune to the Stun status effect.
                          Quoth Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Primer View Post
                            Well, we women have an excuse...for our whole (adult) lives, we've been told that this |-----------------------| is 8 inches!
                            In that case, maybe I should start carrying a tape measure with me wherever I go . . .

Gotta have truth in advertising, ya know.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I could say something right now....

...but I won't.
                              I've been here for two years, work harder than most others, and I'm getting paid $1.80 an hour
                              less than the 17 year old slacker you hired two months ago. Maybe that's why I'm not chipper at work.

Comment

Working...
                              X