This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tillicide Is Painless

Well, it is to us cashiers. To customers, and especially, SCs, it's another thing entirely. A few weeks ago, there was a mega till crash. We have three tills; the first one committed tillicide in the afternoon. Since we can function with just two, we left it. However, at around eight, another till crashed, and it was the master till so I called IT. They advised a master swap later on, about ten minutes to closing so we'd have to close early. Since the manager was unlikely to allow us to close cuz of the tillicides, we figured that we wouldn't bother calling over.

Then, an hour later, the third till crashed. Oh dear. Luckily, at the time, we were dead and had no customers. I called up the manager and informed him that all our tills were down, he told us to close up and phone IT. My colleague phoned IT while I went out and put the cones across the entrance. Remember I said we were dead? Well, we were til I put the cones across, which must have sent out a signal to every single customer in the area, saying, "Get petrol now this instant!"

Most people just drove up, saw the cones, then drove off. Four didn't, instead, driving in thru the back. I told the first two that we were closed cuz all the tills crashed; they accepted this and drove off. The second were SCs. And how.

SC1: Why are you closing early? It's not closing time yet.
    Me: (thinking, "I know, arsehole.") I'm sorry, but all our tills have crashed so we have to close.
    SC1: Bullshit. You just want to go home early.

As if. Even if we were allowed to leave, I still wouldn't want to cuz I'd lose one hour's pay.

SC1: Look, I really need petrol right now. Can't I just fill my car, then fill out a form and come back to pay?
    Me: I'm sorry, but I'm not allowed to let you get petrol when there's no way for you to pay.
    SC1: Oh, for fuck's sake.

He eventually drove off with a screech of tires when it finally got thru his thick skull that I wasn't going to let him get petrol. SC2 drove in while I was dealing with SC1, went to a pump and started trying to get petrol. My colleague inside had no intention of authorising the pump, so it wasn't long before she called over to me, a little while after SC1 had left.

SC2: Excuse me, but this pump isn't working.
    Me: (thinking, "Didn't you see the cones across the entrance, you stupid cow?) I'm sorry, but all our tills crashed so we're closed.
    SC2: What?
    Me: We can't allow anyone to get fuel when there's no way for them to pay.
    SC2: Where's your sign?
    Me: I haven't put it out yet. (Cuz I have to close off the entrance first, moron! Wouldn't be any point in sticking a sign out if the forecourt was full of idiots like you!)
    SC2: So you're not going to let me fill up? My car's bone dry!
    Me: I'm sorry, but we're not allowed to let people fill up when the tills are broken.
    SC2: I'm going to complain about this.

She then got back into her car and drove off. Bring it, bitch. I am simply obeying the manager, who told me to close and if you don't like it, tough. I went inside, got the sign and put it outside. We kept the lights on for the moment, just in case of a reprieve but none was forecoming. My colleague got off the phone and told me that IT had told him that cuz by now it was 9:30pm, that we would not be able to reopen as the tills would not be fixed in time.

I called over the manager and told him this; he said to just stack shelves til our finishing time and to fully close the petrol station. We did so. Would you believe that while we were waiting out the time til we could go home, a steady stream of customers kept trying to get into the petrol station? I'd locked up the pumps and turned the lights off, but still they kept trying. And we had loads of window bangers walking up to the doors and knocking. We didn't bother to go out and tell them that the petrol station was closed, as we had cones across the entrance and a sign up. Also, we didn't want to risk anyone darting inside as we opened the door so we ignored them til it was finally time for us to go.
    Last edited by Lace Neil Singer; 11-06-2014, 06:48 PM.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

"...and how is complaining going to get you that gas, huh?"

Comment

Through early morning fog I see
      Morons at my Store of C.
      The pains they bring, they save for me --
      The cones and signs, they do not see, for...

Tillicide is painless,
      We're closed now, are you brainless?
      It brings to me all of those damn S-C's...
      Would you believe that while we were waiting out the time til we could go home, a steady stream of customers kept trying to get into the petrol station?
      Yeah...
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth emax4 View Post
        "...and how is complaining going to get you that gas, huh?"
        Not to mention that in the entire time they wasted whining and complaining, they could have driven to another station, got their petrol and been on their merry way.

I wonder what kind of effect it would have had if the police had been summoned for a possible riot. . . .
        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Morons at my Store of C.

Tillicide is painless,
          I wish there was a like button so I could like this. XD

I swear, some people think that if we close early we either:

a) Are just pretending
          b) Are doing it out of sheer spite
          c) Will change our minds if they verbally abuse us

There is no way back from tillicide. If the tills are down, then no fuel for you!
          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
            I wish there was a like button so I could like this. XD
            'Twas a pleasure. I caught the reference immediately (the original song was written by a kid), so I had to step up to the plate. 'Tis a moral imperative
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

If her car was "bone dry" how was she able to drive away?

I've never understood people who think that a place closes early because people just felt like going home! Businesses can't make money that way! Gahhh....the stupidity...it burns...
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

It seems as if people use the lowest level of brain function in situations like this.

Oh, I need gas.
                Ooh! There's a gas station!
                Wait, you're a gas station. I need gas. And you won't let me get gas. (And yes, more often than not it's YOU because you just happen to be there.)

And that's where their brains just stop working because things just don't make sense. I get this all the time. Customer wants item and we're either sold out or it's something we don't carry, so they ask usually a couple more time sometimes with more detail and different ways. You can ask however and often you want the answer will the same.
                I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                  Clearly she had one of those "air-powered" diesels* Jeremy Clarkson drove on one episode of Top Gear.

*not really air powered just a very inaccurate fuel gauge.
                  Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I bet you wish you could install spike strips for such occasions.
                    "If we refund your money, give you a free replacement and shoot the manager, then will you be happy?" - sign seen in a restaurant

Comment

Quoth CrazedClerkthe2nd View Post
                      I bet you wish you could install spike strips for such occasions.
                      Or a point defense turret.
                      "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                        Her car was powered by the energy of her extreme self righteousness. We often get SCs who try to get in at closing time who use the excuse of "I'm running on fumes!" or "My car is bone dry!" Sorry, but you're mistaking me for someone who gives a shit.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          Morons at my Store of C.

Tillicide is painless,
                          I try to find a way to make
                          Signs with which they can relate
                          And stop that ever-present hate
                          But it's already far too late, and ...

<refrain>

(The) cashiering game is hard to play
                          I'm going to lose it anyway
                          The 'race card' they will always play
                          I'm going postal any day ...

<refrain>

(To) balance my till I have to cheat
                          Fudge the numbers nice and neat
                          And from the next shift hide deceit -
                          "Hey would you please sign this receipt?"

<refrain>

I watch the time clock slowly spin
                          It doesn't hurt when it begins
                          But as the hours work their way in
                          The pain grows stronger - watch it grin

<refrain>

A brave customer requested me
                          To answer questions that are key
                          "If I buy one is this one free?"
                          And I replied "Oh why ask me?"

And Tillicide is painless,
                          .... and you can have more S-Cs if you please.

(Erik, I couldn't resist.)
                          Seshat's self-help guide:
                          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                            (Erik, I couldn't resist.)

Awesome ^_^ I kept it short because I couldn't think of any other verses at the time. Thanks for finishing it out!

I am officially adding this to the list of songs I need to perform terrorize you guys with. Yes, the Glittermas song is still at the top of that list I can handle multiple parts on the vocals -- So now we just need someone willing and able to mix the audio and add background music, to increase the level of poetic Vogonosity.
                            Last edited by EricKei; 11-08-2014, 01:02 PM.

Comment

C*A*S*H

Sunday Nights at 8 on CSTV!
                              "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X