This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Banrion View Post
    What I wanna know is, what do all the school children use for book covers now that most grocery stores are being stingy with paper bags?
    My school had special-made book covers that they handed out to the students the beginning of the year. They were high-gloss things that were hard to fold, and even harder to hold on to while carrying.
    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

We have both but we are required to bag in plastic unless the customer requests paper. A big peeve I have is when someone feels compeled to go on about how if they get plastic, their groceries end up all over their car blah blah blah. Sorry, but I get plastic all the time, and I don't have that problem.

The BIGGEST "Paper Bag" peeve is the following conversation....
      SC: "Paper please"
      Me: "Paper bags?"
      SC: (snotty and pissy) "Yeah....what other paper would there be?"
      Me: "Sorry, maam, but some people say the exact same thing when they want a newspaper. I learned the hard way, and the customer wasn't very nice about it, so I appologize if it bothers you that I like to be sure."

It really happened. I used to just assume "Paper please" meant paper bags, and thats what I did for this real sweetheart one time. So he got all his $200+ of groceries bagged in paper. Then as he left, he grabs a paper off the newstand. I informed him that I didn't charge him and he goes ballistic, because he told me!

Grrrr....please, just say "Paper Bags" or Newspaper"
      Otherwise, I will confirm.
      Don't get pissy if I confirm.
      WELCOME

Be Nice or I'll Make the Sun Go Away.

Comment

Quoth Banrion View Post
        What I wanna know is, what do all the school children use for book covers now that most grocery stores are being stingy with paper bags?
        My daughter uses those spandex type bookcovers you can find at any local department store now. They're OK, but a real bitch to stretch on the book. I thought it was much more fun making my own out of paper bags. Ah, the good ole days are all but gone.

Comment

I really do not mind plastic bags, as long as you don't have that bagger who tries to put four gallons of milk in one. With my children, they have been great for later use, like disposing of diapers properly. And, plastic bags save on whatever trees we have left out there.

Comment

Kill a tree or choke a fish.
            ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

My local store is a Stater Bros (way cheaper than Albertsons, which is way, way cheaper than Vons) and they have paper, but never ask which you want, so if you want it, you have to ask for it.

I used to love making my book covers. With the brown paper, you could scribble all over the damn things, and if they fell apart, you'd just put a new one on and start all over.

I always get plastic, myself, then reuse them for stuff like the bathroom wastebasket, especially now that I'm in an apartment and can't just dump the basket itself into the garbage bin for collection.

^-.-^
              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My store still has paper and plastic. And if you're lucky, paper IN plastic.
                I DO NOT GET THAT COMBO! WTH?
                What is the point?!

And, yes, my store has both options.
                Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
                  What is the point?!
                  The old people looooooooove the paper in plastic. When i worked at the grocery store i would always get them coming in and asking for paper in plastic. God forbid we not have paper bags on friday mornings when they bring the old folks in from the retirement community down the street. All hell would break loose.
                  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Quoth OfficeSlug View Post
                    What is the point?!
                    You get the reinforcement of double-bagging, protection from rain (important here in Seattle), the ease of carrying of plastic (handles don't rip off like paper) but the structural integrity of paper (doesn't let the oranges roll out on the floor of your car). And you get paper bag for storing stuff, wrapping parcels, or lighting the fire; and plastic bag to line the little wastebasket in the bathroom.

[/geezer soliloquy]
                    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
                    TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

[/geezer soliloquy]
                      I'm glad you clarified that - I was gonna say, "My, you're long-winded!"

We get a LOT of boaters in my store - they're stocking up for a day out on the water (lucky bastards) so I guess the double-reinforced thing KINDA makes sense for them...
                      Teach a SC to fish... and they will whine about you not catching, filleting, frying, and serving it up on a silver platter for them. - EvilEmpryss

Comment

My local grocer uses plastic bags only. But that doesn't really apply to me, since I bought one of their fancy denim reusable bags to get groceries in. I find it easier to manage than plastic bags, plus it won't rip.

Comment

Our superWalmart only has plastic. Copp's has both and will ask, "paper or plastic?" I'm glad they do because I prefer paper bags. I put my paper/cardboard recyclables in them and just toss into the dumpster. There's another grocery I go to where they don't ask, but I'd rather have plasic there because the paper bags have no handles. My complaint about plastic is that I have to go out of my way to recycle and I end up with a gazillion of them that I don't know what to do with.
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                          X