This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This scam might have worked......

if the guy had used two different game titles! Allow me to explain.................

I was over in the fiction section of the Books Department when I hear some man (I shall call him Stupid Scam Idiot, or SSI) say in a loud and fast paced voice "ok, what you have to do is, ask me what the fault is with these games, I will tell you, then you slap a faulty sticker onto the games and write what I said was the fault on the sticker then you give me my refund, ok"?

So, I think "wtf?" and head over to the tills. As I am walking over I think to myself that this must be some kind of trainer from the company or something, telling my coworker how to process a faulty item (even though there is no reason for this at all). It never entered my mind that this could be an SC. To my suprise, it was! Joy!

So, I get over to the till and see my coworker looking dumbfounded and see this guy holding 2 games. My coworker tells me that the guy has 2 XBOX 360 games that are faulty and does not have the reciept. So, he wants a cash refund. I happen to look at the games in question and see that they are both the same. He explains that he bought the games for his boys and they are now faulty. He says he bought them from our store a "cuppla months ago" He explains that he doesn't have a reciept, but since they are faulty, he is entitled BY LAW to get his CASH back. A few alarm bells went off all at once in my head.......

1. I noticed that both games were the German World Cup 2006 football (soccer) games for XBOX 360. I know for a FACT that we have never carried the game in the 360 format. We have had it for PC and PS2, but we started recieving the 360 games after the World Cup, and had already had the other formats of the game recalled. So, it is verrrry fishy.

2. He says that the reason he has 2 of the same game is cause he has 2 boys and 2 XBOX 360's. I am not a parent myself, but I know plenty of people who are. And who have 2 boys. I know that unless you have the money, you do not spend almost £700 on 2 360's and then spend almost £100 when a new game comes out, buying 2 of the same games for each boy. You buy different games, and let them share, even if they each have their own games consoles. And this guy did NOT look stinking rich at all!

3. He says that the games were bought a "cuppla months ago", but they are just now faulty? If the games were FAULTY, you would have noticed when you first tried them. If they do not work now, it is through something you have done to them.

4. This is a game from 2006....it is now almost 5 months into 2007....a bit late, don't you think. I am sorry, but they were not bought a few months ago.

5. How convienent to not have the reciepts, and to start stating the "law" to us straight away. You are trying to scam almost £100 cash from us (we sell each game for £44.99-£49.99). I am onto you, LOSER! Hahahahahaha

So, I tell my coworker, Annie, to wait while I get the Assistant Manager, Rosemary.
    I tell Rosemary of the situation, and of my alarm bells and she comes right out.

So, the converstaion went a bit loke this:

Rosemary= R
    Annie= A
    SC= SSI
    Jackie (coworker)=J

R. What seems to be the problem?

SSI. Yeah, I bought these 2 games a cuppla months ago, and they are faulty, so I want my money back. They are the same cause I have 2 boys and I buy them the same games so they don't fight. I talked to Ann upstairs and she already said I could have the refund and you are required by LAW to do it!

A. Actually, sir, you say you bought them months ago, but that they are faulty now, and you can't prove either when you bought them, or what the fault is. We are allowed to refuse any refund without proof or purchase or fault. We would exchange it for you, but you have said that you only want a refund.

SSI. It is THE LAW that you refund me! They are faulty, and I have already been told by Ann that you can do it.

*Annie, Rosemary and SSI continue to argue, when Jackie comes over. Jackie is the Entertainment person, and is, like me, a human computer as to what we have had and do have in stock. We know all, and she pipes up*

J. I work on the Entertainment Department, and I know that we have never had this game for the 360..we started getting 360 games in a long time after the World Cup games came out. You couldn't have bought it from this store.

SSI. I know where I bought them from! That's it, if you will not do the refund, I am calling Customer Services! Give me the number!

J. I remember you! You have been in here before with the same story.........

*at this point, Rosemary gets pissed and walks up to SSI*

R. Ok, sir, I am going to stop you there and refuse the refund and ask you to leave. I also remember you from my old shop, and you pulled the same scam there with me, and after all the commotion, I gave you the refund, but not this time.

SSI. I think you are mistaking me for someone else.

R. No, I remember you quite clearly. You had the exact same story. 2 of the same games, 2 boys, they were both faulty, no reicept, reciting the law.

SSI. Yeah, I remember you, and you were dissagreeable then too. And, I said the same thing, cause it was the truth. This is the second time this has happened, and I am not happy!

R. I will give you the customer service number and then I want you to leave.

SSI. I will call them and when they tell me that you MUST do the refund, I will be back. What time are you here to?

So, I give him the number, she tells him she is here all day and he leaves....never to return. Rosemary was yelling at him too! LOL!

Honestly.......what and ass. And he may have gotten away with it if he didn't have 2 of the same OLD games! Idiot!

As for Ann, who "told him he could have the refund", she said he came up to her asking her what the return policy was. She never told him he could have a refund.
    "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

what a dumb ass. Probably bought em at a pawn shop trying to make a buck.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Do scammers even TRY to think of every contingency to their plan(s)?
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
        Do scammers even TRY to think of every contingency to their plan(s)?
        That would require them to have a THOUGHT process, and do some WORK. These people are scammers, something for nothing. If hey actually have to put some effort into it their heads explode like a watermellon.
        "How bloody difficult is it to take care of a DVD?"
        ~Me after any time I look at the back of a disc~

Comment

should have had his worthless ass tossed in jail for fraud.

pretend to be "calling a regional manager for cash refund approval" when you are actually calling the police.
          DILLIGAF

Comment

One time, I had a woman try to return two of the exact same, expensive, designer robe. Give me a frickin' break! And while she was keeping me distracted at the counter, her partner was in the back pulling more merchandise off the rack and stuffing it into a bag. She finally realized that I was delaying her, waiting for security to show up, and she grabbed the merchandise and her partner and left.

But, the most annoying part of it was that my idiot manager, despite this woman being listed in our store's statewide notification of known thieves, had given this woman a refund. The manager NEVER checked the list. So this thief decided our store was an easy mark.

However, after dealing with me twice, she never came back. Yea!
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth WHShit View Post
              I was over in the fiction section of the Books Department when I hear some man (I shall call him Stupid Scam Idiot, or SSI) say in a loud and fast paced voice "ok, what you have to do is, ask me what the fault is with these games, I will tell you, then you slap a faulty sticker onto the games and write what I said was the fault on the sticker then you give me my refund, ok"?
              No, what you need to do is stall the guy long enough so that somebody can hit the silent alarm or call the police and have them haul his butt away for fraud.

I have a sinking feeling if this dry-pool diving team member calls corporate customer services, they will fold like a card table and give him his refund because they either don't have your side of the story or don't care.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
              X