This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking me questions on my day off

Just happened to go to my convenience store to buy a drink and some chips. Out of uniform of course. I noticed that whoever worked in the cooler last didn't clean up their trash out of the cooler door area. So I figured I'd be a nice guy and help out since the two people working were busy.
    In the 30 seconds or so it takes me to gather up the empty cardboard boxes to bag them up a customer tracked to me like I was holding the last sandwich in hungry town.
    I helped her out of course. Afterwards I had to laugh about how fast that happened.

Happened again today. I was just shopping for some pretzels and drinks. I wasn't in uniform and unlike last time I wasn't doing anything to indicate I was on the job.
    My answer to the do you have ? was I've been off for two days so I don't know.
    I could have said I'm not being paid to care right now but that is a tad too snarky.

Comment

It's the Retail Aura, man. They KNOW.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Another good one, in a slightly different category. The convenience store I work at has three registers. It was right after shift change from first to second. Two people were on the clock. I'm clocked out, hat in hand and ready to go. I paused for a sec to talk with another coworker who is clocking out on the unused 3rd register. Then I notice a guy about four back in the line looking longingly at us and the unused register.
        I didn't say anything but it was pretty funny. He was staring at us as intently as if we had been a pair of busty young women in the middle of a wardrobe malfunction.
        Last edited by Roland; 07-09-2015, 01:27 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Quoth Roland View Post
          Then I notice a guy about four back in the line looking longingly at us and the unused register.

And how DARE you not call him up to that register!
          Last edited by EricKei; 07-09-2015, 07:17 PM.

Comment

I can't go in to my own store without fielding questions from customers and/or employees. Kind of inconvenient since the store I work at is closer than any other convenience store.
            I go in to get a drink and I have to explain something basic to someone.

If it was a genuine problem that would be one thing. When a customer refuses to believe that her card will be refunded for the amount of any gas she paid for but didn't pump until every fricking employee at the store plus an off duty assistant manager tells her that...well that just makes me tired after a while.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              It's the Retail Aura, man. They KNOW.
              Oh yes. It's the air of looking as if you actually know what you're doing. They home in on it like a mosquito on an exposed midriff.
              Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

My store is about 50 minutes from where I live. It is not in a town that I have a reason to go to unless I am scheduled to work. The corporate staff were all sorts o f concerned that I lived "so far from the store." My response was simple...it keeps me out of trouble and allows me to enjoy my days off without walking in and seeing the mess that I will invariably be compelled to clean up. Besides, the assistant is covering when I am not in the store...why pay that person to mind the store if I am gonna be a helicopter manager.

Comment

Working...
                X