Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stop Talking and Listen to My Instructions!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth EricKei View Post
    Yeah, but their partners seem to prefer them once they're no longer quite so floppy...i.e., once they're in a solid state.
    The best configuration has always been dual floppies + one hard.
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
      I once had someone with the weirdest colour settings on their monitor. When you went into their folders it was black with green neon writing.
      Sounds like that individual had some kind of color blindness. Most are blind to certain color combinations, no most don't see everything like a black & white movie. I speak from experience, I had to support some users with such problems--their displays were headaches waiting to happen from those with normal color vision.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I've mentioned this before; but I used to work with a programming team, and none of us ever wanted to see the code on each other's displays:

White/grey on black,
        Black on white/grey (me),
        Green on black,
        Magenta on blue.

Mr Magenta-on-blue had trouble reading high contrast text, for whatever reason.

All our eyes are different!
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I had a similar situation once when I was doing tech support for Red Checkmark. It wasn't that she just kept blabbering, but the caller just kept insisting she simply could not do it. No amount of assurance from me could convince her that I could help her.

Quoth thehuckster View Post
          ...then you realize the guy's been on an iPad this entire time (or, worse, a Blackberry!)
          As a newly-minted Crackberry Convert, I bite my thumb at you sir!
          Supporting the idiots charged with protecting your personal information.

Comment

I can see someone setting up the entire system to do green/amber text on a black background -- there used to be a time when that's all many monitors could display. Maybe that's just "what they're used to" ...?

dale - Well, there was that guy who did an AMA on mos eisley reddit who has a *ahem* matched pair of his own...
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Soulstealer View Post
              I once had someone with the weirdest colour settings on their monitor. When you went into their folders it was black with green neon writing. And that was the least head ache inducing part. I swear it took longer to work on their computer because of the colour scheme than the actual problem.
              Sounds like my computer when I was 12. Windows 3.1, high contrast color scheme.

Quoth dalesys View Post
              Real men have 8" floppies.
              I never had one of those, but I have a QIC tape drive.
              Last edited by EricKei; 07-16-2015, 07:06 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                Real men have 8" floppies.
                NAAAAA They use 12 inch reel-to-reel tape drives

or

50M removeable multi-platter HDDs.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth thehuckster View Post
                  I think 1024x768 is still the defacto standard for minimum resolution, which itself is pretty low, but still probably used by some budget notebook computers. Any lower than that and I'd have to wonder if you still have a CRT monitor and floppy drive to boot.
                  I know for a FACT that one parent still uses the 800x600 resolutions, because anything else makes a 24-size font look like Ant Man to them. At least that's their reasoning, I know people with worse eye sight that uses a different resolution and they get on fine.
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                    At least that's their reasoning, I know people with worse eye sight that uses a different resolution and they get on fine.
                    Eye problems are not limited to "not being able to see past x feet" or "not being able to read small fonts". My mum has better distance vision than me, but she's nearly blind in strong light or watching overly bright screens due to cataracts. There are certain eye conditions which mean the person has to wear glasses with a colour tint to be able to read but they can still have otherwise near perfect vision.

Eyes are complicated and can screw you over in many new and interesting ways.
                    "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth Silent-Hunter View Post
                      ...I never had one of those, but I have a QIC tape drive.
                      First time I've heard someone brag about their quarter-incher.

I had a Stringy Floppy for my TRS-80 Model I...

... If I ever catch whoever hooked the fence charger to the urinal...
                      Last edited by dalesys; 07-16-2015, 07:18 PM.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ugh. I overheard a couple of my coworkers talking about the same issue as in the OP.

"If you don't have the web page full screen, you can only seen the one box for the User ID, but not the Password." <Apparently, she doesn't know how to use a scroll bar, either. And never mind that if you type in your User ID and then hit tab, it scrolls the screen over so the Password box shows.>

"They should have the User ID box on top, and the Password box below." <Would that really make any difference?>

"It's not user friendly." <Ooooh.... Change. Scary!>
                        "I look at the stars. It's a clear night and the Milky Way seems so near. That's where I'll be going soon. "We are all star stuff." I suddenly remember Delenn's line from Joe's script. Not a bad prospect. I am not afraid. In the meantime, let me close my eyes and sense the beauty around me. And take that breath under the dark sky full of stars. Breathe in. Breathe out. That's all."
                        -Mira Furlan

Comment

Working...
                        X