This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Faxing My Phone

I, just now, got of the phone with this guy.

Me: Stuff Distribution
    SC: You gotta stop faxing me. So-and-so (in sales) keeps faxing my cell phone. You're using up my minutes.
    Me: Ok, can I get the last 4 digits of your number? (for some reason, people don't want to give us their whole numbers even though we already have it in the fax program)
    SC: Yeah. It's XXXX.
    Me: Ok, I'll -
    SC: XXX-XXX-XXXX. There it goes again.
    Me: All right, I'll just have to -
    SC: You gotta stop it. You're using up my minutes. All the way from California. You're gonna cost me a fortune.
    Me: I'll go ahead and get this taken care of.
    SC: Yeah, you're using up my minutes. Make it stop.
    *click*

Ok, pal. I get the idea that you've got a cell phone and every time you answer and it beeps in your ear, you're having to pay for a 6-second chunk of time. I have heard and I understand. But if that's the case, then why in heck are you harranging me to make it stop for five minutes even though it only took the first 30 seconds to explain the problem and get my response?

What I really want to know, however, is why on earth would it matter that we're calling from California? It's not like you're billed based on the originating caller's location. And you're with the military. It's not like you, personally, even pay for the minutes! The whole 30 seconds of them that were taken by the auto-repeat feature of the fax system. The fax system that was already stopped. When you called last time and spoke to So-and-so.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Apologies if this is a silly questions, but do customers have to pay to receive calls as well as make them from mobiles in the USA?

Comment

Quoth Best Made Tacos View Post
      Apologies if this is a silly questions, but do customers have to pay to receive calls as well as make them from mobiles in the USA?
      It's not a silly question at all... Some companies do take minutes away from mobile customers for every call they receive as well as the ones they make... Luckily for me, I have free incoming minutes, so people can call as much as they want and I don't have to worry about losing minutes...
      I'm sorry to inform you that my capacity to care has taken a plunge, much like the popularity of Tom Cruise after his "you don't know the history of psychiatry" rant on national TV.

Comment

I have free 'incoming minutes,' I guess. I've never been charged to receive calls, and I don't think I'd ever sign up to a plan like that. Seems odd.

Anyway, I keep getting calls at home from a private number, and all they are is that fax-beeping, whether I pick it up and hear it or it leaves a message of beeps. No idea how to tell them we don't have a fax connected, cos it just comes up as 'private caller' on my caller ID, and *69 doesn't work. My parents won't just connect up the fax machine and receive the message though, and I honestly have no idea how to use the fax part of our scanner/printer/fax machine. I might go look for the instructions now. Deleting 3+ fax-beep messages every weekday is getting annoying.
        Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
        Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
        <3 Arrested Development

Comment

Quoth sarahj View Post
          Anyway, I keep getting calls at home from a private number, and all they are is that fax-beeping, whether I pick it up and hear it or it leaves a message of beeps.
          Actually, depending on the fax, if it is confidential information, that could be iffy to hook up your machine to get it to go through. First thing I'd do is call your phone company and tell them the problem. They can try calling the owner of the number and tell them to stop, or possibly put a block on. That's what we ended up doing for my Grandmother years ago when she had the same problem, only that one was trying to fax at 1 in the morning.
          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth sarahj View Post
            I have free 'incoming minutes,' I guess. I've never been charged to receive calls, and I don't think I'd ever sign up to a plan like that. Seems odd.now. Deleting 3+ fax-beep messages every weekday is getting annoying.
            Never heard of a plan that charged for incoming calls. There doesn't seem to be a logical reason for it. Anyone got a link to these plans so I can see what BS they are trying to sell to people?

About the only thing I could think that someone would be charged for incoming calls would be if they were on a satelite phone which hooks up to a satelite in orbit. They allow you to make calls from pratically anywhere even possibly in the middle of the ocean.

FYI the faxes you getting messaged on those could very well be spam faxes. Even though it is illegal and a ten thousand dollar fine each fax spam sent people still do it and a lot of the recievers don't know it is illegal.
            Reason it is illegal is because it costs the reciever money and companies were losing a ton of money from the incoming spam faxes.

Spam emails caused far worse money loss to companies and it took a lot of effort to finally get that outlawed.

Comment

Quoth infavorofnaturalselection View Post
              Never heard of a plan that charged for incoming calls.
              Well, I guess you haven't heard everything, then, because there really are plans that charge for incoming minutes. Our cell phones do.
              Also, most pay as you go phones use up minutes on incoming calls.

The fact that so many companies have the line, "unlimited incoming calls" or "No charge for incoming calls" in their advertising should be proof enough that it does exist.
              Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Incoming call minutes

I don't have a problem being charged for incoming calls. I don't give out my cell#, and my phone is off most of the time. Someday I'll leave it on just to see how long the battery life is. Oh, and I haven't figured out how to set up the voicemail, either. Silly, li'l ol' me....

Comment

I pay for incoming calls, and I pay by the minute. So I would get charged a full minute, even for a six-second wrong number fax. I only have 200 minutes included in my plan, so a couple of those a day would chew off a huge chuck of my available minutes.
                  There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I never checked to see whether I was charged for incoming calls. I don't use my cell phone enough, ever, for it to matter. Now that my brother is no longer a roommate, I'll be using it even less.

I would, however, make a point of avoiding a company that charged in 1-minute blocks. There's no real excuse for that. At least with charging on incoming calls it's because the company is still providing the connection, regardless of the direction of the call.

Unfortunately, my company can't seem to find people who can reliably dial a fax number. We've gotten complaints from the local police about faxing 911 semi-regularly for years, now. That's only a little bit worse than the ones who send faxes to our own fax machine, or (even better) fax our own phone number.

^-.-^
                    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                    X