This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Acted Suckily? -- The Next Generation

Here's the text, slightly modified, of an email I just sent to a guest. Who is in the right here, and who is in the wrong?

---

Dear Ms. Guest,

Thank you for bringing your issues with your stay to our attention.

After investigation of your complaints we have concluded the following:

According to your reservation you reserved a handicapped-accessible room with double beds at the rate of $9.95 plus tax for the first night and $59.95 plus tax for the second night. However, when you checked in, you asked instead for a standard room with two queen-size beds. When we changed the room type the rate changed to $99.95 plus tax for July 8 and $59.95 for July 9. The entry of a rate of only $9.95 was a clerical error, but we would have been obligated to honor it had you stayed in the room type originally reserved. As you did not, we will honor the rate for the room type you chose instead. By signing the registration at check-in, you agreed to the rates for the room type you chose – $99.95, plus tax, and $59.95 plus tax.

We understand that you found the condition of your room unsatisfactory upon check-in, and for that we apologize. When you informed us the next morning, we told our housekeepers to pay special attention to your room. However, you left your dog unattended in the room. When housekeeping went to clean the room the dog was barking loudly and our housekeepers were afraid to open the door. You told us later that your dog was in a cage, but from the other side of the door, our housekeepers had no way of knowing if a barking dog is harmless and caged, or loose and liable to attack if it sees an unfamiliar face.

According to hotel policy, the dogs should not be left unattended in the room, and housekeeping will not enter a room with unattended animals because housekeepers have been injured by doing so in the past.

When you called the desk about your room having not being cleaned, our desk clerk apologized and explained why the room had not been cleaned. He then offered to move you to another room that had been cleaned that day. You declined because you had “a lot of stuff” and did not want to move it all, despite the fact that you kept one of our two luggage carts, which are provided for use of all guests, in your room for the duration of your stay.

Regarding the issue of a maintenance man entering your room without knocking, the man who walked into your room was not hotel maintenance. We understand that your daughter left the room door open when she left to walk the dog, and can only assume that a male guest wandered into the room by mistake or deliberately. Our clerk did not tell you that the man was a member of hotel staff. While we urge you to be more cautious in the future, when you checked in, you signed the registration and thus an agreement that hotel management is not responsible for accidents or injury to guests on our property. While we apologize and understand your being upset over this matter, and while we are very glad that no harm came to you, we are not responsible, and only would have been had our desk clerk given out a key to your room. Again, we urge you to be more cautious in the future.

We are very sorry that you were not happy with your stay at our property. We sympathize, but we are not liable for any inconvenience you might have experienced. We hope we have provided you with sufficient explanation, but if we have not, please feel free to contact us with any questions you may have.

Sincerely,
    The Boss
    Blah Inn of Hendersonville
    Drive it like it's a county car.

what an idiot. he scores an insane deal on a room then switches rooms to blow it?

not to mention bringing a dog to a frelling hotel room. boarding a dog isn't THAT expensive and is much safer than letting the dog ride in the car for a long trip.
    DILLIGAF

Comment

Oh yeah... in the matter of some random guy blundering into the room, here's what happened.

It was a woman and her grown daughter who were staying with us, and the daughter took the dog out for a walk one night. She left the door open behind her and a man, who was probably a member of a construction crew that had been there for several nights, walked in.

I don't know what he said to the mother, or even if he was able to talk to her in English (most of the construction crew members were Hispanic and didn't speak very good English if any at all -- we communicated through the foreman), but he refused to leave until she started screaming. Later, he called the room from his room.

I was working a double shift that night and patrolled the hallways a couple of times an hour for the rest of the night, but I never saw anyone in the hall or hanging around the womens' door.

Understandably, both ladies are extremely upset, and they've already complained to corporate, and to us personally. They want some moolah for their trouble.
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

This is too easy! (For us, not for you who had to endure it.)
        I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Quoth Lehk
          what an idiot. he scores an insane deal on a room then switches rooms to blow it?

not to mention bringing a dog to a frelling hotel room. boarding a dog isn't THAT expensive and is much safer than letting the dog ride in the car for a long trip.
          B/f and I brought our dog for a trip from Norther VA to NC (he loves riding with us). Made sure we had a pet friendly hotel too.

I'd understand about the "frelling hotel room" if it didn't state either way if it was pet friendly or not, but people like to bring their pets with them on trips.

Perhaps she tried to kennel the dog and there were no more vacancies? Or if there were, she didn't know anyone around that she trusts to take care of her dog?

And, boarding a dog can be expensive, depends on many things... how long they would be away, if they want to give him play time, etc... it may have been cheaper to bring their doggie along.

She really shouldn't have left the dog unattended though, esp around housekeeping time. Like the letter said, you really dunno if the dog is in a crate or not, and shouldn't be left unattended anyway.

As for the OP, that letter was nicely worded. Did she know about the price change of going to the standard room before switching (or when she requested to switch)?

Comment

Oh Jeebus Cripes! Of course YOU were in the wrong! How was the lovely guest to know that the Housekeeping Staff was too stupid to realize that her barking doggie would bring no harm, and at the worst, smother the Housekeeper(s) with loving lickies, and thus should have been exempt from the barking dog=do not enter room policy?!? [/sarcasm]
            Meow.........

Comment

When I was working on a nature road show, the housekeepers refused to enter our rooms because they thought we had snakes in our rooms.

They were pretty much right. But it was cool, only one room had a live one in it. My room only had a dead one. And that in the bar fridge. We didn't give them a hard time about it, but at one point, I had to swear blind to them the snakes were all gone before they'd come into our rooms.

Comment

That was a very nice letter.

The customer was in the wrong. Sounds like the woman really wanted to be difficult.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Somehow, I don't think this lady would have been satisfied even if she'd been given the Presidential Suite at the Singapore Ritz-Carlton for 25p a night....

Frankly, I think she was lucky not to be asked to leave after leaving her dog in the room unattended. Yuck. A dog owner that negligent is probably not going to do the best job in the world cleaning up after their dog either.
                  A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                  - Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
                  X