Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's kind of part and parcel of my job to have sick kiddies crying near my counter. I guess I've just learned to not care a whole lot at this point, because the only time I really mind is if they're motoring around the store after 10pm and the kid is obviously overstimulated because they're out waaay too late.
    I just think of it as my own personal birth control

I do have to admit, though, there was a little girl the other day who was the sweetest little thing. She came up with her mom, and she saw me and blurted, "Wow! You're pretty!" I laughed, thanked her and told her she was very pretty too (and she was). She just blushed and smiled.

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
      It's kind of part and parcel of my job to have sick kiddies crying near my counter. I guess I've just learned to not care a whole lot at this point, because the only time I really mind is if they're motoring around the store after 10pm and the kid is obviously overstimulated because they're out waaay too late.
      Oh, I hate that. And it's not like I worked somewhere that was vital for your health. I can understand needing to go to the grocery store, and especially the pharmacy, late in the evening, and sometimes you have no choice but to bring the little one. But I worked in a BOOKSTORE!! You don't need books that badly that you need to bring your small child at 10pm to wander around and get that decafsugarfreevanillasoy latte. Double points if you start yelling at your kid when they get cranky. I always wanted to yell at those parents, "Go home and put them to bed! They're TIRED!!"

*Note, books are vital to my mental health but I don't need to shop for them that late at night

I am reminded of a story that Dr. Phil's wife told on his show once. When their older son was small, around 4 years old I think, she took him grocery shopping, and had collected a full cart of groceries when he started acting up. She told him that they would leave if he didn't stop, and she could see him eyeing the full cart and thinking, she wouldn't leave all that behind. So he didn't stop and she did exactly what she said she would. Left a full cart of groceries, marched him right out to the car, and went home, where he spent the rest of the afternoon/evening, not just in his room, but on his bed, except to go to the bathroom. And he never did it again.
      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 05-26-2007, 06:15 PM.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth AZangel View Post
        Any suggestions as to how to ignore the noise?
        Two words.
        Tranq gun.
        "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

Working...
        X