This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth CrazedClerk View Post
    My last name is European in origin, but it bears a resemblance to a common Spanish/Mexican surname.
    :: laughter:: I have the exact opposite. Mine's a common Mexican surname, but when people hear it, they say, "Oh you're italian!" :: facepalm::
    "I live in Los Angeles, and I was on the walk of fame. I was drunk, and I got a henna tattoo that says, 'Forever.'" -Zack Galifianakis

Call Sophia Moore or Kent E. Ryder for a good time!

Comment

• Quoth Mark Healey View Post
      Anyway I'm thinking if I receive the amount of shit that I do, how much do actual jews get.
      A lot. Believe me, they get a lot.

I'm not Jewish myself. I have a distinctly Christian given name and a Scotch-Irish surname. I am, however, a 20+ year veteran of the jewelry trade -- which a great many slackjawed cretins apparently believe to be an exclusively Jewish business. You don't even want to know how many times I've thrown an SC out of the store after he/she/it started shouting anti-Jewish slurs at me because their credit card was declined or because I refused to accept a personal check or whatever else. All I can say is, thank Gawd I'm not in retail anymore.

<SEGUE>
      You CS oldtimers have heard this one several times before, but here it is again for the newer folks: The most ridiculous racist SC I ever had was undoubtedly the woman who, upon becoming pissed off at my Indian salesgirl, bellowed at her to "Go back to Indiana!"
      </SEGUE>
      "Who is this preposterous snob?"

Comment

• Quoth Ace of Diamonds View Post
        <SEGUE>
        You CS oldtimers have heard this one several times before, but here it is again for the newer folks: The most ridiculous racist SC I ever had was undoubtedly the woman who, upon becoming pissed off at my Indian salesgirl, bellowed at her to "Go back to Indiana!"
        </SEGUE>
        Awwww... that's so pweshius.

Comment

• Quoth thegiraffe View Post
          Haha I'm a youngin' I guess. I was BORN in 1985. I'll have my Bachelor's in December. I'm a baby of the boards
          Yeah, you're not even close. You're only 3 years younger than me.

Greenday is finishing up high school, or just starting college. Ryu's in college.

I just scanned the calendar. We have at least 2 17 yr olds, at least 1 19 yr old, and it goes up from there.

It seems the average age of the group is early 20s.

As to sexism and ageism, sexism, I only got in high school. Once I left computer and German class there, no one really cared what gender I was.

Ageism, I've been getting a lot of. I look young for my age, and I don't have money to update my wardrobe, so everyone still thinks I'm a student. The AAFH talks down to me because I'm roughly 10 yrs her junior.

Jenni
          SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
          SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

• Quoth Ace of Diamonds View Post
            I'm not Jewish myself. I have a distinctly Christian given name and a Scotch-Irish surname. I am, however, a 20+ year veteran of the jewelry trade -- which a great many slackjawed cretins apparently believe to be an exclusively Jewish business. You don't even want to know how many times I've thrown an SC out of the store after he/she/it started shouting anti-Jewish slurs at me
            For a great example, check out Ace's Mr. Assfurter story at http://www.customerssuck.com/board/showthread.php?t=295
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

• When I was 19 or 20 - I had a job as the sales coordinator for a heavy equipment company - excavators, bulldozers, cranes, etc, etc.

I heard it ALL the time. I was completely capable of helping find the right equipment and it's attachments etc etc. But I always heard "No, I want to talk to a sales GUY!"

Bastards. It killed them when the sales guys would come up, speak to them breifly and turn them back over to me.
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

• I have to tell my story of my time volunteering for the homeless shelter. I don't think my coordinator was intentionally sexist, but it was either that or my short ass made him think I couldn't lift anything heavier than a tote bag.

He wanted me to label and move some boxes full of stationary and envelopes to another location. Boxes full of paper are heavier thant they look, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. Before he left, he said that he was going to find someone to move the boxes for me. When he came back, I had already labeled and moved half the boxes. He chided me for doing so and the guy that was supposed to help me was scratching his head and wondering what I needed him for.

There was another time when I was putting up a new bulletin board and he told me to come get him if the guys in the front of the church harassed me. The guys didn't even talk to me, even though I was going back and forth for paper and stuff. Then one of the women, who doubted my "Christian values" because I dated an atheist and wore all black, grilled me with questions as to why the background was black. It was the only color that they had enough of to cover the entire board. The coordinator joked that it was my favorite color.

I turned back around to him and said that it was, in fact, purple. The color of kings and that of our Lord and Saviour.
                A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

• Well, my story isn't your usual prejudice. I guess I'd have to call it "locationist". It's a well-known stereotype here that those who live on the east side or right around State Street are more wealthy, the schools are better, yada yada. They're upperclass, and we're ONLY middleclass, so those of us on the West Side are usually looked down on by them. The bookstore I work at is ON State Street, so we get customers from both sides. When I started working there, they were building a new location way out west, closer to where I live, actually. And customers were always talking about it, saying how glad they were to be getting something closer soon. This one lady SC heard the previous person saying something about this, and when she came up she just had to comment. "Why are they building a Bookstore out on the West side? Those people can't read!"
                  Any fool can criticize, comdemn, and complain—and most do. ~ Dale Carnegie

Sarah: That's not fair!
                  Jareth: You say that so often. I wonder what your basis for comparison is...

Comment

• Quoth Amalthea View Post
                    This one lady SC heard the previous person saying something about this, and when she came up she just had to comment. "Why are they building a Bookstore out on the West side? Those people can't read!"
                    Why, actually, yes, they can read. And they're computer literate, and can post your bigoted, abusive remarks all over the internet. Would you like to pose for a picture to go along with your comment?
                    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                    HR believes the first person in the door
                    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                    Document everything
                    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Working...
                    X