Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free dvd's with newspapers! Absolute Hell!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL...yes, it is the paper you are thinking of. And YES Carry On movies. LOL! They could BUY the dvd's with the proper cases in WHShit as we sell them for £1.99..seriously, Carry On movies are £1.99. Idiots!
    "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

For fellow Yanks wondering, the "Carry On" movies are a series of comedies that are approximately the Brit equivalent of "Hee Haw". I.e. older cornball humor. I think they were mostly made in the 1960's.
      Last edited by skeptic53; 08-02-2006, 05:23 PM.
      Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...
      TASTE THE LIME JELLO OF DEFEAT! -Gravekeeper

Comment

Over here on the west side of the pond, my fiancee read this thread and told me to relate to you the saga of the McDonald's Beanie Baby madness. He was working at MickeyD's for this dark moment in American consumerism, and can remember people actually climbing over the counter when a box of Beanie Babies was being unloaded, and on one memorable occassion threatening to castrate him if he didn't hold out a specific Baby for a very angry Beanie freak. He wants me to tell you that he feels your pain, WHShit.
        Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

This totally reminds me of what some of the major retailers do here with new DVD releases and the free promotional items on release week. You would be amazed at how many people suddenly want to buy whatever DVD it is that week just because there is a FREE item. Most of the time its something that is pretty worthless like a keychain with the movie logo.

The best one I remember tho is when the (aweful) remake of "Willy Wonka" came out my store had a free small size Wonka bar or Wonka donut with purchase. Well we had run out of the Wonka bars (they were so small one could eat it in one chomp). Anyways some guy came in and literaly started to CRY in front of me because we were out. He then went on and on about how nobody sold them anywhere and on and on and on. The funniest part of the story is later that night at Super America guess what I saw for a dollar......

Wonka bars.
          New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
          New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

Quoth dragonflygrrl
            Over here on the west side of the pond, my fiancee read this thread and told me to relate to you the saga of the McDonald's Beanie Baby madness. He was working at MickeyD's for this dark moment in American consumerism, and can remember people actually climbing over the counter when a box of Beanie Babies was being unloaded, and on one memorable occassion threatening to castrate him if he didn't hold out a specific Baby for a very angry Beanie freak. He wants me to tell you that he feels your pain, WHShit.
            LOL...I remember this! I had forgotten all about the McDonalds beenie babies! OMG! I bet that was hell seeing as how people obsessively collect them. CLIMBING over the counter??? WOW! Tell him I said I feel sorry for what HE went through.

Funny enough...this week WE have no free dvd's (don't worry, we will have them next week) as you can collect them at 5 other stores. YAY? Nope! We get people demanding to have the free dvd with the paper still. Had a lady yesterday ask for it. I told her that we were not doing it. She says "whadda ya mean, you are the ones who do them"! "Are you sure"? (grrrrr)

So, I tell her that, yes, I am sure, and that it can be collected at 5 other stores (why, when we have to have the dvd's is it exclusively us, but when other stores have it it can be a choice of 5?)

So......blah blah, she is unable to open the paper herself and read which stores to go to. I have to open it for her, with her asking, before I even get to the page "where"? "where"?. I tell her, and she asked me 2 times which stores they were again. I told her, you can refer to the paper, I have told you the stores already". Her answer? "Well, I am NOT buying this here if you do not have the dvd, I'll go to ASDA".

Just buy the stupid paper here, that way you can have a list of the stores and the paper already bought, so your happy hand can hold the cupon to the cashier at another store, and in return, get your free dvd.
            "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

Quoth Demolition Man
              This totally reminds me of what some of the major retailers do here with new DVD releases and the free promotional items on release week. You would be amazed at how many people suddenly want to buy whatever DVD it is that week just because there is a FREE item. Most of the time its something that is pretty worthless like a keychain with the movie logo.

The best one I remember tho is when the (aweful) remake of "Willy Wonka" came out my store had a free small size Wonka bar or Wonka donut with purchase. Well we had run out of the Wonka bars (they were so small one could eat it in one chomp). Anyways some guy came in and literaly started to CRY in front of me because we were out. He then went on and on about how nobody sold them anywhere and on and on and on. The funniest part of the story is later that night at Super America guess what I saw for a dollar......

Wonka bars.
              As our store does movies too, I kow what you mean. When Bambi came out, it was with a stuffed Thumper (which is OK). Harry Potter came with a cheap as hell HP scarf. Garfield came with a furry keychain (which molted orange fur everywhere.and I wore black that day), Incredibles came with a cheap pen (really crap) and Shrek came with a Shrek hat (THE BEST free gift ever!!!!..it has ears!).

I hae never seen people so upset as when you tell them it is first come first serve and we are out. They like to use the sentence "it say's if I buy this I am gauranteed to get the free item". NO....it say's subject to availability, stupid! Grrrrr

Comment

Working...
              X