This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to grow a spine? (Long)

Okay, haven't posted in a while since I don't work retail anymore. Still an avid reader of this site though... Anyhoos, this story happened last Sunday when I was home at my mother's for my brother's confirmation on Sunday morning. Since we were going to have a celebration after we get back from church and alot of people were coming, my family had been up since 4 AM, cooking and cleaning for the celebration since we have to leave for church by 6 AM.

Anyways, since everyone was busy my mom told me to call McD's delivery service and order breakfast. Now this was done at 4 AM. I don't know what the protocol is in other countries, but in this country you'd have to call McD's hotline number, give them your order, and they would relay the order over to the nearest McD's to your location that is still open, since not all McD places are open 24 hours. Okay, so I give them the order which was 2 double cheeseburger meals, a box of chicken nuggets and an extra large fries. This will be important later on.

One hour later and the delivery guy hadn't showed up. I'm puzzled because I use McD's delivery service quite often and the nearest 24 hours location is only a 10 minute drive away from my house. So I called the hotline again, and they told me that my order had been relayed. Okay, getting upset but still keeping my cool. 15 minutes later and no confirmations, no anything. I decided to call straight to the McD place that was supposed to deliver my order. They told me that the hotline center had not relayed my order yet. I was getting angry, but still really polite. I thanked the person that answered the phone and hung to call the hotline number again.

The person who answered the phone at the hotline center confirmed that they had indeed relayed my order. What the.. I then politely asked him to reconfirm to the McD place, hung up, then called the McD place again. By this time, it was already 5.30 AM and everyone in the house was already preparing to leave for church except for me. I was hungry and wanted my McD breakfast lol.

So anyway, after someone picked up the phone at the McD place, I asked him again if the hotline center had relayed my order. He said no. I kind of sighed and said "Fine, I'll just order directly from you if that's possible." He said it was okay and started taking my order. So I started giving him my order again. "Two double cheeseburger meals, a box of chicken nuggets and .." and this is where he cut me off by saying, "and an extra large fries, right?" I just kind went "How did you know?"

He uhmmm-ed and ahhh-ed and told me that the hotline center had JUST relayed my order. Something in his voice made me sure he was lying. I finally said, very calmly, "You know what? Nevermind and just cancel my order. You have a good morning now," then hung up.

I told my mother and she told me I need to grow a spine. Should I have made any complaints? I actually kept myself from saying something because I remembered this site, and didn't want to be an SC. Plus, I felt sorry for those McD people because it was 4 AM and they were still at work. I was frustrated, but remained polite and calm through the entire thing. Let me hear what you think.
    Last edited by DigitalEngine; 06-25-2007, 09:51 PM. Reason: typo
    -It's only after you've lost everything that you're free to do anything.
    -I see the strongest and smartest men who have ever lived. And these men are pumping gas and waiting tables.-Fight Club

I don't know, after that runaround I probably would have told them to forget it, too.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I think you did fine. You were frustrated but you kept it in check and just cancelled the order. I would call back later and ask to speak to a manager and make a complaint, but at the time, fussing or yelling wouldn't do any good, and yelling at the employee stuck there at 5am wasn't going to do anything.

By the way, at one point in your story, you said 5:30PM, but the rest said AM, so I just assumed typo.
      "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Yeah, you're right, it was a typo, thanks mys.

My mom thinks I should ask to speak to the manager and make a complaint too, but I didn't because I didn't want to get those people in trouble. That's when she told me to grow a spine lol
        -I see the strongest and smartest men who have ever lived. And these men are pumping gas and waiting tables.-Fight Club

Comment

I think this is a time where it would be worth getting someone into trouble, as, for all you know, this is something that happens all the time. I never feel bad about making a valid and legitimate complaint. Make sure to note that they didn't give attitude, it was just that the order was called in and never delivered, and tell the mgr what the employee said to you.

By the way, where on earth do they have deliver McD's? And why couldn't I have that in college?
          "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I live in Indonesia. McD's has had delivery service here for years, now

That's just the thing. I've used McD's delivery service for years and have never had a problem like this before. I've never heard of anyone having the kind of problem, either. They're lucky that it wasn't my mom who placed the order. She's one of the biggest SCs I know and would definitely tear all of them a new one at the first sign of inconvenience.

But I would make a complaint if something like this happens again. Thanks mys!

Comment

Blowing you off one time is somewhat understandable, but multiple times, obviously lying, definitely a call to the manager, as long as you aren't sucky about it, which means no foul language, screaming, whining, demanding freebies, etc. (you know what it means).
              Labor boards have info on local laws for free
              HR believes the first person in the door
              Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
              Document everything
              CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Wouldn't it have made more sense after going through all that to just go to Mickey D's & getting your food there? That's what I would have done.

Comment

From time to time we will have problems when ordering a pizza or whatever. When said issues occure it's my wife who will call. She used to manage a few different pizza places and goes in with the philosophy that as a manager she would not have been aware of certain issues unless they were brought to her attention. She doesn't do it to get free stuff, but to stop these problems from happening in the future.
                  My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Heck, I drive to the McD's here myself and speak directly to the cashier, and it still takes them three tries to get my order right. I've pretty much given up on them, especially since there's a Varsity Jr. right next door. Mmm, hot dogs.

Comment

WOW a maccas that delivers!!! I want one!!!
                      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I would definitely let the manager of the McDonald's and the hotline both know of the fact that the person you spoke to over the phone claimed to have not received the order during two separate calls, but when you attempted to place the order directly, they reminded you of an item that was on the hotline order that you had not mentioned directly, indicating that they had received the order, but apparently was unwilling to deliver it.

You would be doing the hotline and the store a favor, as they cannot fix problems that they are not aware of.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Off the main part of the topic...

Delivery AND extra large fries??? I'm jealous!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Unseen but seeing
                          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                          3rd shift needs love, too
                          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                          X