This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth JustADude View Post
    Heh... and during my brief period in Telemarketing Hell as one of the Sales Demons I used to hate people like you. People who knew what they were doing were so much more annoying than the pathetic, lazy SCoWs that just give whatever info is asked for to people who call up and sound official.

Yes, that was a compliment to you and a rip on exactly how scummy telemarketing is at the same time.
    I actually did a short stint doing cold calls for computer supply sales. Paper, ink and toner, primarily.

They weren't a particularly hard-sell company, but the pay was pure commission, so if you didn't make sales, you were SOL. And if you got a new customer, that customer was yours for the first six months, and you had protected commission checks.

I made a sale in my second week of training, which was basically getting thrown in a room with supervisors and work on your cold-calling skills. It seems that I was fairly unique in that most people usually took about a week or so after training to get a sale. *shrug*

I might have stayed if I could have handled the 6am start time, and had a better wardrobe.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth DrinkJockey View Post
      [He] was/is a flat rate tipper, no matter his tab, the tip is the same.
      So, from the tone of the post, I'd guess we're not talking $50-$100 tabs and a $20 tip here. I'm betting something like $5 on a $150-$200 tip
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Less than a month after I started working for B&N they handed me a bag containing fourteen thousand dollars and said, "here, go to the bank."

Deanna, I hated selling the member card, too. I am not a salesperson and I will not push it beyond the first offer. And what do teachers expect, we're gonna tell every single customer that we offer a teacher discount? Most teachers abuse it anyway. When I'd see high school teachers buying board books with a 2 year old running around at their feet, and fifth grade teachers buying romance novels, it really bugged me. Then I would ask if they were for the classroom, and of course they said yes.

Then when I'd get the occasional honest one, buying a bunch of kids stuff and deliberately setting the one or two books for themselves aside to ring separately, I'd just throw them all on the same receipt with the discount. I really like the ones who have both cards...it implies they are honest and using the appropriate card for the transaction. And occasionally they would have the member card because they bought a lot of music stuff for school and the teacher discount doesn't come off music/DVDs.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Delphae View Post
          Receptionists, secretarys, assistants and janitors rule the world. Don't piss them off becuase your messages will be lost, you won't get that appointment and no one will clean your office. Be nice to them and your life is soooo much easier.
          Pretty much be nice to everyone and your life will be easier. Besides, if someone feels the need to belittle others just to show how "superior" they are, it's blatantly obvious that they are not.

I've done a little bit of phone work as a temp, and dealt with jerks like that. Now, the smart bosses will have a list of clients/favored people that they will talk to immediately, the rest get shuffled to voice mail or have messages taken. Then I'd get a call like this:

ME: Good morning, Dewey Cheetham and Howe, may I help you?
          SC: Get me Mr. Cheetham.
          ME: May I ask who is calling?
          SC: Just get him on the damned phone!
          ME: I'm sorry, Mr. Justgethimonthedamnedphone, Mr. Cheetham is out of his office at the moment, may I take a message?

Okay, I never said the last line. But I did get quite a few of those belligerent idiots, who did not understand how phoning a company works.
          Last edited by XCashier; 07-06-2007, 11:22 PM.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
            ME: Good morning, Dewey Cheetham and Howe, may I help you?
            Huh? So did they buy out Boye or what?
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
            X