This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery-flinging fit-thrower

We sell, among other things, radio control parky flyers: styrofoam or card foam airplanes that are ready to fly anywhere and can be easily and inexpesively repaired.

This fella comes in with his plane, saying it won't work. He claims he only flew it the once and it worked great, but now it isn't working. He had recently charged the battery for the airplane and changed the AAs in the transmitter.

I was being nice, trying to decypher the problem, but I was pretty sure it was the battery, especially when I opened the battery door and found the battery plugged into the reciever.

For those who don't know, this is no-no. A radio-controlled vehicle should NEVER be turned on without first the transmitter being active. If the reciever picks up a rogue signal from a cell phone, hi-def radio, a walkie-talkie, or a fluorescent light without having the transmitter on for the reciever to double-check with,even then there is no telling what it will do. The motor could start turning full blast and if there is a sharp object (like a propellar) attached, it could cause injury.

I tell this guy this and he says "I didn't read that in the instructions." So I open the book and show him, where it says so in BIG BOLD LETTERS. So I start looking for a charger to test the battery, because I'm certain now it's dead. WHen I ask the boss, he takes an interest.

This is the point at which the guy changes his tune. He claims the plane has "never been used" and that it doesn't work at all. "I haven't ever flown it." says he. I add "but for the once, right?" Sputter, sputter "uh, yeah." I get an unhappy glare.

"I just want to exchange it for a plane that works."

This is the part I hate. We don't warranty the items we sell. We can't. We get in huge trouble with the manufacturers if we take matters into our own hands. AND, once the RC item in question has been opened and used for the first time, it belongs to the customer and cannot be exchanged. I agree with this bit, however: the warranty covers defects only and any damages caused by the customer through use either proper or poor are not covered.

"We can't do that." the boss says, "I can't send it back to get it replaced. They'd tell me to eat the loss. It's not a defective item. You misused it."

SC: "I didn't know no better."

Boss: "Well, it's a perfectly good plane. You need a new battery."

SC: "Well, can you gimme a new one."

Boss: "I can sell you one."

SC: "You can't just give me one. Don't you want my business?"

Boss: "No, I can't just give you one."

SC: "But it's your store, you can do anything you want to."

Boss: "If I gave away parts that people broke I would be out of business next week."

SC: "Well, I'll just take my business eslewhere." This is the biggest statement an SC can potentially make, because they think they are threatening your livelyhood. The best reaction you can have is as follows.

Boss: "Okay." Reason being is that when they realize you don't care to have their business, then they have nothing they can hold against you and thus have no power to influence you. In most circumstances, they retreat to their cave. Unfortunately, this one did not.

SC: "Well, I just think you could cut me a break. I come in and spend this money and I make one mistake and you want to treat me like I'm everybody else."

Boss: "You didn't read the instructions, and you tried to lie to me about it being a defect. I don't take well to that. What reason do I have to give you special treatment?"

SC: "Then I'll just take my business elsewhere!"

Boss: "Then get the hell out of my store."

SC: "Well, sell me the damn battery first."

They make the transaction Boss: "Okay, now get out." The man walks away and out the door, then a minute later runs back in and flings the battery at my boss, who deflects it easily.

SC: "I tell you what, you can have your god damn battery! I want my money back! I know you were talkin' about me after I left so I'll buy it from someone who'll treat me right!"

Boss: "We weren't talking about you. I told you to get out of my store."

SC: "I want a refund!"

Boss: "Get out of my store or I'm calling the police."

SC: "Call them. They'll arrest you for robbin' me like this!"

Boss: "Swordsman, call 911, tell them we have an irate customer who will not leave the premesis."

SC: "I ain't no irate! I'm mad at you 'cause you're being a jackass!" He retrieves his battery.

I pick up the phone and hit the 9, but he is already in full retreat making sure the store knows he's never coming back.

Why do we get more asshats on fridays?
    O God, thy sky is so vast and my plane is so small.

Quoth Swordsman422 View Post
    For those who don't know, this is no-no. A radio-controlled vehicle should NEVER be turned on without first the transmitter being active.
    I didn't know that! I bought my dad one of those planes last year for his birthday. He probably read the manual (he hasn't had problems with his) but I'll mention it to him next time I see him just in case.

I can tell you one thing - if we broke it due to not reading the instructions, I'd be way too embarrassed to pitch a fit about it.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

That guy was an asshat. He walked up to the front and said something about you guys talking about him. I was confused and the boss was too angry to give me any details. This story really clears things up.

Anywho, I don't remember this guy and I'm good with remembering regulars or even people who come in once. We didn't lose any business.
      Check out my cosplay social group!
      http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

SC: "I ain't no irate! I'm mad at you 'cause you're being a jackass!" He retrieves his battery.
        *snicker* Now I want to know what the heck he thinks an "irate" is.

I pick up the phone and hit the 9, but he is already in full retreat making sure the store knows he's never coming back.
        Can you get that in writing?

^-.-^
        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

SC: "Well, I'll just take my business eslewhere." This is the biggest statement an SC can potentially make, because they think they are threatening your livelyhood. The best reaction you can have is as follows.

Boss: "Okay." Reason being is that when they realize you don't care to have their business, then they have nothing they can hold against you and thus have no power to influence you. In most circumstances, they retreat to their cave. Unfortunately, this one did not.
          This is SO F'N TRUE it's not even funny. Anyone who pulls the old "grant my impossible request or I'm switching to dish" card with me gets an offer to be transferred to the folks who can help them cancel their service. Stops them cold almost every time.
          "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

How is giving him something for free getting his business?
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

"But it's your store, you can do anything you want to."
              I "could" open up the register, take out all the money, and give it to you, for no reason at all, as it is my store. However, I'm not "Going" to. I am going to kick you out until you learn to behave, however.
              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                I "could" open up the register, take out all the money, and give it to you, for no reason at all, as it is my store.
                See, now to me, "You can do anything you want to" implies permission to do such things as impose a "leaving tax" where you pay me $5 to be able to get out of my store, or, alternatively, I can break your pinky. His choice. Remember, it isn't assault if you have their permission.
                Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

The man walks away and out the door, then a minute later runs back in and flings the battery at my boss, who deflects it easily.

Boss: "Swordsman, call 911, tell them we have an irate customer who will not leave the premesis."
                  If the police arrested hin, would he be charged with assault and battery?
                  "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                    If the police arrested hin, would he be charged with assault and battery?
                    Booo!

I don't think the manager was ever 'threatened' by this customer, so, no assault, and the battery was deflected, I think...
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

SC: "Well, I just think you could cut me a break. I come in and spend this money and I make one mistake and you want to treat me like I'm everybody else."

To the first statement: I'm glad he knows it's your store. And of course you can do anything you want to, like tell him to get out of your store.

As to the second: I get that one all the time, how we're treating him like everybody else. Who is everybody else? The customer who is honest and doesn't try to deceive a company, let alone doesn't try to steal and get free stuff all the time? Yeah, he's right. He's not everybody else.

Comment

When he threw the battery, you should've had something that looked like a radar gun and said some really low rate of speed.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                        X