This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repeatedly Asking for Quotes is Not Going to Lower the Price

Before I get into this. Yes. Our software is freaking expensive. It's very specialized and we provide good service. The price covers our costs. Nobody's getting rich here and nobody's getting shafted.

Here's a summary based on the notes in our database:

8/18/2005 Eugene gave a quote to an agency who have a 20-user license and wanted to add 5 users. Their license was four years out of date (meaning it was four years since they had paid for anything) and would require that they purchase an update (for $5000) before they could purchase a 5-user pack for $1995. Quote total $6995.

7/13/2006 Mark was asked for quote. This time they wanted to know the price to add five users and the price to add ten users. He repeated the quote Eugene gave for adding 5 users and told them adding ten would be an additional $1995. Quote total $6995 or $8990, depending on what they wanted.

7/20/2006 I was asked for a quote by phone. I repeated Mark's quote. "No," the guy said, "we don't want to add users. We just want to buy the update."

"Oh," I said, "You received the latest version as a free update, so you have it already. You CAN pay for another update now if you like. That will restart your free update period and you will get the NEXT version, which is coming out in a month or two, for free. Otherwise, you will have to pay for the next version, and I can't guarantee what the price will be."

"So," he replied, "I wouldn't GET anything new if I paid for an update now."

"Well, not now. But you WILL get something when our new version comes out. It's completely your decision. Some agencies find it more convenient to buy things when they have the money in the budget rather than wait. Others prefer to wait. It's your call."

"Uh, huh. So what if I want to add five users?"

"That would be $6995."

"Can you break that down for me?"

He grilled me for about 10 minutes trying to trick me into quoting him $1995 to add five users without paying to bring the first twenty users up to date. [We can't do that because the result would be a single license where 20 users are stuck at the current version and 5 users qualify for the next version for free. It's not happening.]

Finally he stopped and accepted that the quote was $5000 for an update or $6995 if he wanted to add five users.

7/26/2006 So he emailed us. I got the email. This time he wanted to find out how much it would cost to add five users and buy a Software Maintenance Agreement.

Sigh.

I wrote back and basically told him that it would cost $5000 for the update, $1995 to add five users and $2600 to add a one year agreement.

No. The agreement could not be purchased unless the update was purchased. [See how I anticipated his next question, there? ]

Haven't heard back from him. Maybe he'll go dormant until our next version comes out. Then his objections will be moot.
    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Don't you wish you could bump the price up a dollar every time they "ask" for the price again.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind
      Don't you wish you could bump the price up a dollar every time they "ask" for the price again.
      Well, in this case, you sort of can. Just a quick note on the next price quote saying "I see you've requested several rate quotes recently. Please note that this quote is only good until our next update."

Comment

Quoth LostMyMind
        Heheheh....being a bartender, I CAN. Or at least I can be a smartass about it. Sample conversation that happens often enough:

SC: "How much for a Corona?"
        ME: "Four dollars?"
        SC: "FOUR DOLLARS? Tell you what, how about I give you three?"
        ME: "Sure, for five dollars, I can get you that beer."
        SC: "I said three dollars."
        ME: "Six dollars, no problem!"
        SC: "Um, can I still get it for four dollars?"
        ME: "For you? Sure, why not?"

Amazing the crap you can get away with when you not only have a smile on your face the whole time, but you also control their booze!

TWO DAYS TILL MY VACATION! (And a week without these numbnuts!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

I can't tell you what I don't know!

Why can't you prepay for photofinishing? 'Cause we don't know how many prints we can make from a roll of film. That's why.

And yet, customers want to know exactly how much their order will cost, and if I tell them it's impossible to say, they think I'm lying ("Depending on how many prints we make from the roll, it should be around $10" just isn't good enough for these people).

Another good one was when a lady wanted to make reprints from an APS roll. Quick reference bar: APS is a special format of film that (among other things) allows you to make wider prints. A standard 35mm print is 4"x6". In addition to 4"x6" (Classic), APS allows you to print 4"x7" (HDTV) and 4"x12" (Panoramic).

When we quote a price for APS reprints, we always use the HDTV price, as this is the most popular option for APS reprints. Keep in mind as you read this that the price of a panoramic reprint is almost three times that of an HDTV reprint.

So a customer brings in a 25-exposure APS roll for reprints and says she wants one of each frame. I quote her a price that is based on HDTV reprints, but let her know that the price depends on the number and size of prints that we actually make.

When I go to print the order, what do I find on the roll but no less than 25 panoramic prints (this is unusual; most customer rolls don't have more than a few, if any). Remember when I said above that panoramic reprints are about three times as expensive as HDTV reprints?

So she comes into the store to pick up her order, and when I tell her the price, she gets all huffy and "That's not what he quoted me!" Yes, that's not what 'he' said, whoever 'he' is. *Sigh* I always did pride myself on being memorable.

Of course I call her out on her BS right away and go over our price list with her torso is sitting on the ground 'cause she no longer has a leg to stand on.

Naturally, she refused the entire order. And naturally, she called about 20 minutes later to come back and pick out the ones she *really* wanted.
          "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
          -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Working...
          X