This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2 Year Old Beef Jerky

This was probably one of the grossest returns I ever saw at the supermarket in the seven years I worked there. I was working the express register so I was behind a counter so obviously this SC mistook me for customer service...even though about 10 feet away there was a desk with a huge "Customer Service" sign above it. So this man comes over with this package of beef jerky.

M = Me
    GBJM = Gross Beef Jerky Man

GBJM: Hi, I'd like to return this beef jerky. (Beef Jerky package looks like it's seen better days and the beef jerky is starting to grow fuzzy white stuff.)
    M: (stares at beef jerky and looks at GBJM like he's joking)
    GBJM: Yeah, I bought it like 2 years ago and I just found it now. Must have lost it somewhere. Since it's no good I want to return it.
    M: Well, you'll have to take it over to the customer service desk. I doubt they'll take it back though since it's so old.
    GBJM: Ok, well I'm gonna try anyway. (GBJM walks over to CSM desk and waits. I proceed to call the CSM over the intercom.)

By the time the CSM came out, I had gone on my break and was sitting on the bench right next to the customer service desk so I heard everything. The SC explained his situation to the CSM, who looked like she was ready to puke. She ended up calling the manager who actually took this disgusting beef jerky back. That was when I really decided my manager needed to grow a set of balls. I mean, who would take back a package of food that had been sitting around somewhere for 2 years? I know beef jerky lasts a long time but it was growing white stuff!

The SC wasn't throwing a fit or complaining or anything like that, but I figured he was still a SC just for trying to return something like that. I mean, it's not our fault if you misplace your groceries and they go bad!

Anyone else have any gross returns that the manager amazingly accepted?
    "The more I drink, the cuter you get!"

After a bit of common sense, the manager didn't accept this one back...

I used to work at a McDonald's and we had a lady return an apple pie complaining that she'd taken a bite out of it and there was mould growing inside it. She wanted a refund and a new pie for the distress of eating a mouldy pie.

First thought was Oh...Dearie...Me... We've got to recall all the pies, clean out the vats, file reports etc etc.
    My manager took the pie off the lady and the first thing he noticed was that it was stone cold and mentioned it to the customer.
    "I bought it earlier and took it home. I like them cold."
    Fair enough. Some people do. Heck, even I do!
    So, the next thing he did was check the time sticker on the pie itself. And alarm bells then started to ring. The time on the pie was 8pm. It was now 4pm. iirc, pies can be kept for 80 minutes in the hot cabinet after they have cooled and been boxed (and if that is correct, boy that's sad!), so the latest time which should/could have been on the pie was 5.20pm. And I worked in a McD's where everything was strictly adhered to all the time. So the lady had bought it "earlier" but the question was how much earlier...

After looking in the bag she had brought it in in, my manager found a receipt. Dated for 3 weeks previously.

It turned out that the lady had bought the pie from the Drive Thru and promptly forgot about it. It had been in her car, during the summer, for 3 weeks. And she thought it would be ok to go ahead and eat it.

My manager, a very cool guy, laughed her out of the restaurant

Comment

Had a guy complain that two pounds of mince (ground beef) he'd bought the day before had gone dark and grey.

We were somewhat alarmed by this, examining the mince with worry. I remembered the guy coming in the day before and buying it.

"Your fridge is cold enough?" I asked.

"Fridge?" he asked.

I looked out at the sun as it baked and cracked the paving slabs. It had been in his car boot for over twenty-four hours.

Rapscallion

Comment

I am trying to think which story is the grossest. Nah, my head will explode if I keep that up.

I am shocked and appalled that these people are allowed out in public, unsupervised. :shudders:
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
        X