Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This guy wasn't really a SC, he was just a THIEF (attempted bad check writer)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This guy wasn't really a SC, he was just a THIEF (attempted bad check writer)

Last night during my overnight shift (it was around 11:15-11:30PMish), I had a customer (white male, 40s, bald, w/ tattoos on arms) who tried to buy the following:

$100 American Express Gift Card
    $100 American Express Gift Card
    Box of Aquafresh tooth whitening kit (worth about $30-$40)
    20 oz bottle of Pepsi (no biggie but just to make the list complete)

Well, seeing this, I asked the customer how he wished to pay for it, and I saw a checkbook in his hand. Well, needless to say I was seeing more red flags than China, especially when the customer got all fidgety and was asking me if I had a problem with checks. I told him that yes, I have a big problem with someone coming overnight buying $200 worth of gift cards (and these were the kind with $6 fees on top of each one too) with a check, especially one with a low number #1090. So at first I told him he'd have to come back during the day when there's a manger on duty to get the gift cards, and only get the tooth whitening kit and Pepsi for now.

Well, as luck would have it, this individual overplayed his hand and wanted two cartons of Marlboros as well. So, basically I told him that could not do his order at all now and told him to leave. Now, had I known how to do it w/o looking too suspicious, I was about ready to call the police to see if his ID/check was on a bad check watch list or something. After this individual left, I called our other 24 hour store in this town to alert the overnight checker there, and guess what? He tried that same stunt there first!! All I can say is, I hope this guy gets caught soon and is thrown in jail where he belongs.

I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this topic, cuz this guy wasn't a SC. He was just a downright THIEF.

I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this topic, cuz this guy wasn't a SC. He was just a downright THIEF
    Hey, give the guy some credit! Thieves suck too, ya know!
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I couldn't think of anywhere else to put this topic, cuz this guy wasn't a SC. He was just a downright THIEF

Hey, give the guy some credit! Thieves suck too, ya know!
      Testify! Fuckin' A! Preach it! Hear, hear!

There, I'm done.
      "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

(white male, 40s, bald, w/ tattoos on arms)
        Ah, yes, few things are more attractive then a look that says "I failed at Live Fast, Die Young."

Comment

(white male, 40s, bald, w/ tattoos on arms)
          Way to leave no clues there, Mr. Criminal Mastermind. If you could identify what the tattoos looked like you could have him pretty much dead to rights. Tattoos are unique to the people who have them and would be a great distinguishing mark.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
            Tattoos are unique to the people who have them and would be a great distinguishing mark.

which is exatly why the 5 tats on the Katt are hidden
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
              especially one with a low number #1090.
              Wow, and I'm only at 293 on my latest checks. :muttering: stupid bank that wouldn't let me start at higher numbers... (/muttering)

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
              Ah, yes, few things are more attractive then a look that says "I failed at Live Fast, Die Young."
              You DO realize that now I'll have to say that to friends, family and coworkers when I see people like that, right?
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                Wow, and I'm only at 293 on my latest checks. :muttering: stupid bank that wouldn't let me start at higher numbers... (/muttering)
                1090 actually means 90. My checkbook started at 1001.
                You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

I've had this happen b4 at C-stores...

My tactics were to call the non-emergency police number, get dispatch, and talk to them like they were a manager "Oh, Janet, I need you to come up front and help me authorize a customer. Writing checks." Dispatch was smart enough to catch on, and since they had caller ID, they could figure what store I was in. Next thing to do would be tell Dispatch the plate & description as quietly as possible.

If the customer/scammer/thief figured me out or just wanted to leave, I'd see if I could get a hold of the check they were trying to use, and write down as much info offa it as I could: printed name, printed bank, address, etc. And get a good good look at the scammer. Along with that, see if you could get a good look @ the ID the thief had.

I helped catch at least 2 or 3 people doing bad things with checks this way.

Cutenoob
                  In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                  She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

I love people who try to pull obvious stunts like that. The ultimate enemy, however, is a cashier that either was not trained properly or who does not remember store rules like, "no more than 2 cartons of cigarettes on a check," or, "please call me to initial any checks with a number below 300," or, "gift cards CANNOT go on checks." Sixteen-year-olds (or just the unexperienced) haven't developed a sense of what constitutes a red flag in a check transaction, usually.

Comment

Good thinking. When I drove cabs in Indianapolis, every cab company dispatcher had a red phone on the console. If they picked it up, it connected directly to police dispatch. We drivers had several times we loved that system with a psycho passenger or having been held up.

Comment

Quoth Sofar View Post
                        1090 actually means 90. My checkbook started at 1001.
                        Actually, it can mean anything in the world, from check #1 to check #1090.

Quoth Shengirl View Post
                        I love people who try to pull obvious stunts like that. The ultimate enemy, however, is a cashier that either was not trained properly or who does not remember store rules like, "no more than 2 cartons of cigarettes on a check," or, "please call me to initial any checks with a number below 300," or, "gift cards CANNOT go on checks." Sixteen-year-olds (or just the unexperienced) haven't developed a sense of what constitutes a red flag in a check transaction, usually.
                        I think that whole rule about low-numbered checks is silly, because you really have no idea where they started. My last checks started somewhere over 1000. My current checks I started with 138. I've had this bank account for 7 years. The check number is virtually meaningless in today's world.

^-.-^
                        Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Estil View Post
                          with a check, especially one with a low number #1090.

You know, I opened a bank account a little over a year ago after dealing with my credit union for over ten years. The reason was because my job had changed, and it made no sense to me to drive 35 miles there. So, I opened up a new account and transferred all of my money to the local bank. When I got to the checking account, they started my checks on number 1000, and I have excellent credit. My checks are still under 1100 now, so does this mean that if I paid with a check somewhere with check number 1080, I would be under suspicion?

Comment

Quoth greensinestro View Post
                            My checks are still under 1100 now, so does this mean that if I paid with a check somewhere with check number 1080, I would be under suspicion?
                            Suspicion is a strong word. 99% of the time, a low check number means absolutely nothing. Plus, even if the check was going to bounce, as long as nothing else is wrong with the transaction, the cashier and I would not be held accountable for it. We're not psychic. It's just that the chain wants us to check to make SURE nothing else is wrong - the ID matches the person, the address on the ID matches the check, the name on the check isn't on our "This person commits fraud constantly" list...

Comment

I think some of you are misunderstanding me. The #1090 check only helped to confirm my initial suspcisions (the stuff he was wanting to buy, especially the gift cards, was the biggest red flag). It wasn't because of the check number alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X