This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Uniforms (strong language)

OK, our uniform at work used to be white shirt, black trousers and an apron. However, the white shirts were a huge problem. By the end of the shift, several members of staff would be covered in food or drink, it didn't look good. I once worked a shift, where, five minutes in, I spilt a glass of red wine down myself, and was forced to do an eight hour shift with a huge red stain down myself.

So, after much convincing (or arguing), the manager was finally convinced to change the uniforms to black. Great! Staff were very happy! If something was spilled on us, it was no where near as bad. The staff looked a lot smarter.

Not all the customers are convinced though.

A little old lady came up to the bar.

Me: Hi, what can I get you?
    OL: You can get out of that fucking uniform for a start!
    Me: *thinks* Is she coming on to me?
    Me: I'm...sorry...um...what?
    OL: That fucking black uniform.
    Me: Whats wrong with the black uniform?
    OL: You look like a fucking undertaker. Can I see the manager?
    Me: *Sighs* Ok then.

Manager came out.

Manager: Hi, whats the problem?
    OL: The fucking undertakers you've got working behind the bar!
    Manager: Undertakers?
    OL: Yes, you changed the uniform from white to black! You all look like fucking undertakers! I do not come in here to be surrounded by such miserable colours!
    Manager: What does it matter what colour the uniform is?
    OL: Aren't you listening? They look like fucking undertakers!
    Manager: OK, I've had enough of this conversation, go back to your table, or an undertaker will be looking after you VERY soon.
    OL: Well, I never! How dare you speak to someone like that!

Yes, because the way she was talking was so much nicer!

She should have just gathered her "fucking" purse and gotten her "fucking" ass the hell out of your "fucking" restaurant, IMO.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Personally, I think all black looks very smart. But then, I also tend to live in places where all black uniforms can roast you alive inside of thirty minutes. Go figger.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

Yeah, when I worked at the Olive Garden, we wore white shirts.

We're slinging red wine and spagetti sauce all night and some Genius decides white is a great choice.

Our shoulders were always filthy from sliding trays onto them, and there were always pins of sauce all over us.

Comment

There's something about elderly folks swearing that makes me giggle.

Not a helpful reaction when dealing with an already pissed off customer.

I loved your manager's response.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
            Manager: OK, I've had enough of this conversation, go back to your table, or an undertaker will be looking after you VERY soon.

That is beautiful.

When I worked in Meat Market at Kroger, my apron (which was navy blue) looked absolutely disgusting. Thankfully, my polo was maroon. I don't know how many pairs of khakis were ruined though. There were flecks of smooshed burger and/or various loose meat chunks on my hat. All I did was go back there the last 4 hours or so before the department closed and keep the coolers full and clean stuff, but it was so vile. I hated working back there, but if my boss asks me to do something I do it. That's just how I am.
            "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post

Me: Hi, what can I get you?
              OL: You can get out of that fucking uniform for a start!
              That is when you start up the jukebox, jump on a table and start making some extra dough.
              My Horror Blog

Cinemania

Comment

Quoth Boozy View Post
                There's something about elderly folks swearing that makes me giggle.
                Same here.

Holy biscuit.

I wish MY place of employment would let us wear black shirts. *pouts*
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Look, I'm not a fan of the neck to toe black outfit look either (what? I like bright colors!), but if it's part of the uniform, I'm going to keep my yapper shut!* Who appointed that old bitch as officer of the Fashion Police, anyway??

*Not that I'd say that to a friend or a person on the street, either. If that's your look, you stick with it, by gum. I'm just stating my little opinion.
                  "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

I used to sometimes wear black pants and t-shirt with a colored sweater and when I got warm enough to take off the sweater I'd joke that I looked like I should be working in the cafe (god forbid!).

I don't normally wear all black, but I think I'd prefer it if I worked with food cuz I know I'd get stuff all over me and I wouldn't want to have to spend a ton of money on uniforms or time on cleaning stains out of them. BN Cafe workers used to be able to wear either black or white shirts with black pants and green apron, but they changed it a couple years ago to all black with green apron.

When I worked at my college's little fast food-type place my "uniform" was a blue "Jay's Nest" t-shirt (I had 3) and whatever pants and hat I wanted (either that or a hair net...no thanks; we all went for baseball caps), and shoes that wouldn't have me slip-sliding all over a greasy tile floor (so, sneakers, usually).
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Don't no one be ragging on my black. I wear nothing but black, especially at work. Black slacks, black waistcoat, black tie, black cap, black apron.

Why did this woman believe that the entire staff would change their clothes just because she found them offensive?
                      You're not doing me a favor by eating here. I'm doing you a favor by feeding you.

Comment

There was a time when just about everything I owned, clothing-wise, was black, navy, or some other so-dark-you-could-mistake-it-for-black color. The reason wasn't because I was a Goth (that phase actually came LATER) but because I was heavily into the technical side of my school's drama program. It just seemed like the thing to do, and it saved my butt more than once when I got called off of being backup for light-board to help because a stage-hand hadn't been able to show up.
                        ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

When I was in high school (late 80s), my wardrobe consisted of mostly black shirts, sometimes with designs, and jeans. That was pretty much it.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I think black is very professional.

In my brief stint as a Mary Kay lady, I had two black business suits. One had a skirt....I kind of looked more like a fight attendant but still good lol.

Damn I looked hot in them.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

In my favourite restaurant, all the waiters wear black, with a black apron and a coloured vest. But the vest has a very "messy" pattern on it, which completely hides any spills, so the waiters look pleasantly clean. I'd much rather be served by "undertakers" than by someone who looks like they rolled around in my food in a white shirt before bringing it to me.

The uniform:

Comment

Working...
                              X