This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being asked if I want to come back to Wal-Mart

I was shopping at Wal-Mart today & ran into the store manager who asked me if I was ready to come back to work to Wal-Mart. I just looked at him like this--->
    Then he told me to think about cause they're short handed & they need experienced people.
    Why in the world would I want to go back to that hell hole after putting up with crap for over 2 years?

Hold out for Full Medical and $40 hourly pay.

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
      Why in the world would I want to go back to that hell hole after putting up with crap for over 2 years?
      Oh, I can top that one. The crew manager of the telemarketing company I worked for for a few months publicly humiliated me at the morning meeting before firing me in front of the whole office. The reason? I wasn't pushing hard enough and I wasn't 'sticking to the script'... aka, I wasn't a lying, manipulative asshole, and my conscience was getting in the way of the borderline-fraudulent stuff they wanted me to feed the people I was calling.

A month or two later, I got a form letter saying "Hey, why don't you come back and work for us again?" People in the next county probably heard me go off.
      ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
      And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

You know, if the manager and/or assistant manager from my time at Goodwill were still around, AND if I were still in the area I bet they'd BEG me to come back. I hear the place gets worse by the year.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

My guess

Guessing these managers really think other companies work the same as their's does. That is part of the reason they don't try to improve things.

It never crosses their minds that you found a job so much better than before that there is no way you would not go back. Worse, they probably think they are the better company and you are dying to leave your present job.

Comment

It is not just low paying companies

My friend has just switched departments at the bank she works at.

Last year she only made $54,000. Yes, I said only. Her old boss had her doing partly her own job (the boss's) and dropped a number of duties on her that were not part of her job description.

Additional, she got the run-a-round on why she did not get a raise last year in income and/or company level, or the extra training she requested. She basically has been at level 5 doing the work of a level 6 without getting a level 6's pay. Worse, because she is a level 5 she did not have the authority to get some things done, but she was been held responsible for them.

Well, now she is moving to the new job, $3,000 a year more right away, level 6 right away, raise next year, and the new department already has a rep of not overloading your duties.

The old department offered $5,000 to stay, level raise in the future, education in the future, and claims not to overload.

She is gone anyway!
            Last edited by earl colby pottinger; 07-04-2007, 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

You ought to reply to him. IN WRITING. CC HIS boss with WHY you won't come back. Won't make a bit of differance.. but it'll feeel GREAT!

Comment

Quoth Bright_Star View Post
                I was shopping at Wal-Mart today & ran into the store manager who asked me if I was ready to come back to work to Wal-Mart. I just looked at him like this--->
                He asked if you're ready to come back to Wal Mart? Like it's an inevitable thing? Nice. That sets a good subtext!

"We want to know when you'll stop being silly and pretending you'll ever be able to hold down a job better than this one. We're shorthanded right now, so we could be talked into letting this whole 'quitting' thing slide. But we're not going to be patient with you forever!"

That's... probably a serious exaggeration, but still. Wal Mart is the bottom of the run, you don't go back there unless there's LITERALLY nothing else.
                Check out my webcomic!

Comment

My brother used to work for a Saturn dealership as a mechanic, the owner started treating him & 7 other mechanics like crap. One day the 8 of them quit and four of them including my brother found better jobs with better pay. The owner the dealership sent them proposals to come back, they all told him to go to hell.
                  Boogity, Boogity, Boogity Let's Go Racing Boys

Comment

Three of us at the Big Box are almost ready to leave our manager high and dry. We all work the same day job for more money and a lot less work. It's not that we hate the job. In fact, we love poking at computers and fixing the problem.

We just hate the micro-managing, "customer interaction" evaluations that we have to do every shift and constant pressure to sell when our job description says nothing about selling anything. And dealing with all this while getting shafted for hours and having to help out every department when we get no help in return.

At this point, we're only staying on for the extra paycheck and employee discount. But one guy and I pretty much agreed that we're both quitting in August if/when our contracts get renewed. Neither of us wants to work another Black Friday, or Tax-Free weekend, if we can avoid it. Nor do we want to work as hard as we do for the pittance we get paid.
                    A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

A month or two later, I got a form letter saying "Hey, why don't you come back and work for us again?" People in the next county probably heard me go off.[/QUOTE]
                      That was you, I was wondering what that loud noise was coming from the South. Anyways isn't it bad ethic's for him to belittle you in front of everyone and fire you in front of everyone. It could also be illegal.

Comment

Quoth mafiagodfather View Post
                        Anyways isn't it bad ethic's for him to belittle you in front of everyone and fire you in front of everyone. It could also be illegal.
                        Her, actually. And yeah, it's horrible ethics, but the place was selling toner cartridges for $270/ea and Ink for $72/ea using a sob story that's about two words away from being illegal, and is DEFINITELY misrepresentative of the situation, so I don't think they really CARE about ethics.

As far as illegal... they didn't say anything in the public execution that wasn't true, so I can't call them for slander/libel/defamation/etc, and if chewing someone out in public was a crime, then this board wouldn't exist.
                        And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

I worked at Hardee's in college.

When I left, I just left, no notice, just a letter saying I'm sick of being held accountable for other people's mistakes (The top-side cooker somebody broke on my day off? My fault. "Why weren't you here to stop him? That's not acceptable!')

Anyway, the next day when my next shift was supposed to start, the supervisor on duty called and asked where I was.

I told her that I had quit the night before.

She said, "Well yes, I read your note, but why aren't you here? You're late!"

I said, very carefully, "I....don't...work...for...you...any...more. Do...you...un...der...stand...what...I'm tell...ing...you?"

"But you can't! We NEED you here!"

"Oh, now you need me. When I needed a raise or time off or recognition of a job well done I was expendable, and you told me to my face that I was expendable. Now that I'm gone you suddenly "need" me. Burn in hell." And I slammed the phone down.

They called back several times that night.

They called me for every shift they scheduled me for, since they kept me on the schedule for a month after I left.

Apparently they were putting written warnings in my file, since I "wasn't showing up for scheduled shifts."

Just waiting for me to come to my senses and return.

Sad, really.
                          I have a map of the world. It's actual size.

-- Steven Wright

Comment

Ah, yes, the stupid companies that think that you don't get an extreme feeling of relief from leaving them...

McDonald's did that to me. I left to move out of state. Gave the manager my new address and everything so he could forward my final paycheck to me, and my W-2. About two weeks later, I started to worry about my final check, so I called the store, to speak with the manager. The girl who taught me how to make fries answered the phone, and, first thing out of her mouth was, "So, Juwl, you back in town and ready to return to work?"
                            Ha ha, no. I'm looking for my final paycheck or a lawsuit, either or.
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth TonyDonuts View Post
                              They called back several times that night.

They called me for every shift they scheduled me for, since they kept me on the schedule for a month after I left.
                              Shoulda told them to go hang once more, and that you'd file harassment charges if they kept it up. With that kind of attitude, you'd have an answering machine full of rope so thoughtfully provided by their stupidity to hang them with inside a week.

Comment

Working...
                              X