Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many times are you going to change your story?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many times are you going to change your story?

Yesterday I had this customer come in to try and return something to me. Now, I'm usually fine with doing returns, but I always hate the dreaded "I bought this in 1965 and now I need to return it" type of returns. So, I'm standing here with my co-worker and up comes this guy. The conversation went like this:

SD: Skater Dude
    Me: TB (my thoughts will be in paranthesis)

SD: Yeah, I need to return this piece I bought from you.
    Me: Ok, when did you get it from us? (I remembered the guy from a couple months before)
    SD: Like 6 weeks ago
    Me: Well, I'm sorry but I can't exchange or return it. You'll have to go through Palm.
    SD: What do you mean?
    Me: We have a 14 day return/exchange policy here, its on the reciept when you purchase your items (no one ever reads the return policy)
    SD: Oh, well I only purchased it like a week or two ago!
    Me: (did you just say 6 weeks?) Um, I don't think that you did.
    SD: Yeah I did, its not working right. I've had to replace 4 phones because of this piece!
    Me: (4 phones in a week...even in 6 weeks is not possible) I'm sorry you had problems with it, but its still out of my hands. Its well passed the return policy.
    SD: So you're not going to do anything for me???? Man, I paid like $40 for this thing and had to replace like 7 phones!!! (Are we replacing phones exponetially now?)
    Me: No, that piece is $10, its not 40.
    SD: Don't call me a liar, it was messing up on me the whole time I was boarding in Japan.
    Me: (Wait, you were in Japan with it while replacing maybe A phone ) I'm sorry I can't do anything for you.
    SD: Man, this is bullcrap. I spent a lot on this and you NEED to do something about it. I'm not leaving till you fix it!

So it goes on for a while and I end up calming him down and getting him to apologize to me for acting like an ass. I was waiting for him to bust out that he's gone through 10 phones already because of one little piece that lets him use stereo headsets on his Treo.
    Movie, Music, Anime and many more reviews...coming soon!

don't seem that scammer was well prepared.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

How could you call him a scammer? Hes out 22 phones already, what are you going to do about it?
      Last edited by stormtreader; 08-02-2006, 08:41 AM.
      "don't go to the neighbors,that's just what the fire expects you to do"-phillippbo
      "Please do not look into laser with remaining eyeball."
      Support bacteria.They're the only culture some people have.

Comment

Nothing yet, he bought it tomorrow
        I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

<starts to count the number of changes>

OWOWOWOWOWOW!
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

OH!! GRRRRR! I hate those types. I can relate similar experiences in roadside service. Our policy is that if the veh is operable then it is not covered for a tow since you can still drive it to a shop. I had this conversation once:

This person had called twice for service, we do document calls accordingly. I could see by the call notes that this person was trying to get a vehicle towed that had nothing wrong with it. There were also notes stating it was on an impound lot and the owner had it taken away due to a suspended license. All properly documented.

SC: (how she actually started the call) WHERE IS THE DAMN TRUCK? WE ORDERED SERVICE OVER TWO HOURS AGO.
            ME: May I have the call number?
            SC: (angrily) *******. Now, where is the truck??
            ME: Just a moment while I review the call. (Mind you when they call up ranting and raving, for some reason, it takes me a "long time" to review calls when usually it takes under a minute)

After about 3 mins which is like FOREVER to an angry member....

ME: Well, it appears that you had tried to get service on a vehicle that has nothing wrong with it. The notes in the call state that the vehicle is operable but the owner does not have a valid license and the impound lot is not releasing the vehicle. If your vehicle is operable, we will not tow it.
            SC: Well, sometimes it won't start.
            ME: Sometimes it won't start or it's not starting?
            SC: It does sometimes but not others.
            ME: So, does it start or doesn't it?
            SC: NO, it doesn't start.
            ME: Well, you said that it does sometimes. It either does or it doesn't.
            SC: LOOK, IT'S NOT RUNNING AT ALL.
            ME: It's not running or it won't start?

Yes, I was being unusually difficult.

SC: LOOK, I PAY FOR THIS SERVICE, YOU HAVE TO COME AND TOW MY CAR NOW!
            ME: If the car is running, as it says here in the notes, we will not cover this tow. It is also stating that our driver was on location to verify that it was not operable and the impound lot will not release it.
            SC: WHO ARE YOU GOING TO BELIEVE - ME OR THE DRIVER?
            ME: Well, ma'am, I'm sorry, but the driver told the supervisor and the supervisor made the notes not to honor this service.
            SC: WHO MADE THESE NOTES?
            ME: The supervisor.
            SC: So, you're going to believe the notes and not me? ARE YOU GOING TO SEND SERVICE?
            ME: No.
            SC: (screaming by this point) WHY?
            ME: (calm and matter of factly) Because your vehicle is operable.
            SC: No it's not.
            ME: Earlier you said that it runs sometimes but not others. The call states that it is operable and the lot won't release it. The driver was there at one time and would not take it.
            SC: WHY ARE YOU BELIEVING THESE NOTES?

This conversation went round and round only because I began to have fun with her. She switched her story so many times and it was near the end of my shift so I was milking the call. I ended up telling her she can seek service on her own and send the receipt in for reimbursement consideration. She finally hung up on me.
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Working...
            X