Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exactly what definitions are they using?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exactly what definitions are they using?

My customers are always coming up with their own definitions for words. The first three are just from yesterday at the credit card call center:

I had one call were the customer wanted to know why he was being charged finance charges every month. According to him, he wasn't financing anything, just merely using our money to pay for his stuff, and therefore there shouldn't be any finance charges. I also had to explain to this guy why not paying his credit card bill was bad. This turned into a 20 minute call.

Later on, I get a call from some guy that received a letter from us. It seems the customer had an issue with getting overcharged by a store and then got the overcharge credited back. The problem was, he seemed to still be demanding that we do something about it. The letter was basically a generic letter to get him at call us up and clarify what he wanted. When I asked him to explain, he said the store owed him a credit. I then informed him that he had received a credit but he refused to believe me. According to him, he never received a credit, just "a bunch of money placed back into my account" and he still needed a credit. I went over and over with his over the definition of a credit and he continually refused to believe that all the money placed back into his account was the credit. Another 15 minutes of frustration.

And on my last call of the day, I got this gem:

SC: What was the last purchase made on my card?
    ME: You spent $24.57 at Walmart on the 23rd.
    SC: And what purchases did I make after my last purchase?
    ME:

Also, lately, I've been getting more than a couple customers that seem to think the words "bill" and "payment" are interchangable. I get a lot of "Have you received my bill yet? I mailed it out a week ago" and "I was looking over my payment today and........"

I also talked to a woman that wanted to report a charge on her bill as fraudualent, not because it was unauthorized, but because she thought the price of the item she bought was too high.

And last but not least, there was a guy that thought because the interest rate, also known as an Annual Percentage Rate, has the word "annual" in it, that means we are only allowed to charge interest once a year.

Quoth HoneyDippinDan
    And last but not least, there was a guy that thought because the interest rate, also known as an Annual Percentage Rate, has the word "annual" in it, that means we are only allowed to charge interest once a year.
    That reminds when I used to do credit card applications over the phone for people (they called me) and I'd ask them what their "total annual household income" was. I'd get all manner of answers to that one...

Moron: Annual...that means "monthly" right?
    Me:

Moron: Household?! It's just a card for ME!! Not everyone in my house!
    Me:

Moron: (trying to figure out how much she makes in a year...not quite sure what math she was using) I make $1000/month, so my annual income is $78,000/yr
    Me:

Comment

Quoth Erin
      Moron: (trying to figure out how much she makes in a year...not quite sure what math she was using)
      Reminds me of a subordinate who complained to me that, since we got paid twice a month, she made less than if she worked at her friend's company where they paid every two weeks, even after I assured her it didn't work that way.
      I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

Quoth Mixed Bag
        Reminds me of a subordinate who complained to me that, since we got paid twice a month, she made less than if she worked at her friend's company where they paid every two weeks, even after I assured her it didn't work that way.
        Nope, they just get more, smaller checks. I much prefer semi-monthly to bi-weekly. Easier to plan for auto debits, etc.
        The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Quoth Banrion
          Nope, they just get more, smaller checks. I much prefer semi-monthly to bi-weekly. Easier to plan for auto debits, etc.
          Yeah, but bi-weekly gives you this nice extra check every half year

Comment

Quoth Erin
            Moron: (trying to figure out how much she makes in a year...not quite sure what math she was using) I make $1000/month, so my annual income is $78,000/yr
            Me:
            That reminds me a shit on of our photo techs has. Its a black T-shirt that has "Math is Hard" written on the front in white letters. He said his math teacher wanted to buy one.
            "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." - Anonymous

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." - Dr. House

Comment

Working...
            X