This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid People, Stupid Phone Calls

Some people (aka SCs) have no respect. I told this person on the phone how much something would cost her, and she just said, "What? UGH!" <click> How immature is that?

You can't just say, "No, I'm sorry that's too much for me."

Or, there are the other ones that ask, "What's your phone number?" Here's your sign.

One time I had this person leaving a message, and I (stupidly) forgot to ask her name/number, so I politely asked for it and she said, "No! Fine! See how she can contact ME!"

HAHAHA.

Doesn't hurt me much!

I continually have people ringing on weeknights at about 7.30 asking if we are still open... and then are surprised when I tell them that we are open until 9pm.
    The trading hours are on all of our reciepts, big signs outside the doors, and we have been open until 9 for well over two years now...
    "Those who do not complain are never pitied." - Jane Austen.

Comment

At the store I used to work at, we were required to give the intersection at which the store was located when we answered the phones. You know, something like:

Thank you for calling xyz at 1st street and main street. My name is your_name; how may I help you today?

And at least once a week, a customer would sit through that greeting and then ask, "Is this the xyz at 1st street and main?"

What? UGH! <click>
      "At any time, for any reason and without any warning, a meteor could fall from the sky and kill us all."
      -- The Meteor Principle

Galbadia Hotel - Free Video Game Soundtrack Downloads

Comment

Quoth Ezrockspants View Post
        I continually have people ringing on weeknights at about 7.30 asking if we are still open... and then are surprised when I tell them that we are open until 9pm.
        The trading hours are on all of our reciepts, big signs outside the doors, and we have been open until 9 for well over two years now...
        OK, I've been guilty of this one, especially when I've just moved into an area or have not been to the store in question before. I can also have trouble keeping straight which location closes when if two different stores in the same chain happen to have different hours.

I do of course thank the phone answerer for the info.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

One of my friends would respond to high price quotes over the phone with "Gosh, does anyone buy them at that price?" Don't businesses want feedback?

One time I called a local restaurant from a long list of this local chain's outlets on the sheet that I tore a coupon from to place a go order. They answered with the store name and city. When I got there I found that I'd called the other store in the same city (the First and Main post reminded me of this, as stores should answer in a way that one clearly knows where they're calling, and based on the two locations, I felt the one I went to had more of a claim to answer the phone with just the city and expected most people familiar with both stores would think of the one I went to if asked).

When I got to the other one the sheepish (proprietor?) gave me an additional discount (my idea for driving further as the food cooled, she didn't offer it). They (she?) should have known better than to answer the phone that way--but then I've since learned these franchises get horrid corporate support and to only go to the ones that don't offer less and drag the chain's reputation down.
          I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

We have that, sort of. One location, which has been open for 30+ years, is called by the name of the city. Until 1999 or so, it was the only one in town, and that's it's name (on the receipts, left side, by the store number). The other, relatively new stores with addresses in that town (though the old one is also, by far, closer to the actual downtown area) are called (development by the mall) (store name), Wal-Mart (store name), (Road) (Store name), etc. But it wouldn't really help to give the exact street address in the greeting, and three other stores are now on that same road. It mostly works; I've never had someone call asking for (town) (store) who *didn't* want that one.
            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Heh...I get stupid pricing people on the phone all the time. My personal favorite are the people who tell me accusingly that "we're not very competitive". We're not, are we? Could you please explain to me then why our numbers in the pharmacy are up 110% from this time last year? Please. We compete on other things besides price, and even then our prices aren't that bad.

Comment

Working...
              X