This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High-Definition Stupidity

This happened several weeks ago and it still gives pause to my higher brain functions. This guy calls in wanting to know why he isn't getting a football game on his high-definition sports channel. All he's getting is a poker game.

Now most people don't realize that in order to get HD quality, the program they're watching had to be recorded & broadcast using HD format. The football game in question wasn't recorded in HD. Totally outside our control, not that anyone lets that little detail get in the way of a frivilous tirade.

But that wasn't this guys problem. He understood (at least I *think*) that the game wasn't in HD. Here's the convo, best as I can recall:

Me - Sir the game isn't shown on the HD network because it wasn't recorded in HD. But if you look on the standard-def network, the game is there.

SC - That's not the point! I paid good money for the high-definition stations, so I should get the game on that station!

(WTF??? Apparently he was mad because he wasn't getting the EXACT SAME PROGRAM broadcast on two different channels!)

Me - Sir even if we did broadcast the game on the HD network, you'd still get the same picture quality as the SD station.

He didn't believe me, accused me of shelling company BS. Takes one to know one pal... Eventually he gave in and hung up. Of course if we had shown the same program repeated then we'd get idiots complaining we have too much repeated programming. There's just no winning is there
    Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Did he also want you to show The Honeymooners on your colour station as well as your B/W one?
    I second that Frederick Douglass quote--unfortunately, so do a lot of SCs.

Comment

You know, I'm pretty mad that the Cartoon Network keeps showing anime cartoons instead of the Flintstones and Looney Tunes like they used to -- why don't you take care of that for me too?
      Everything I do goes through...

Think About It Central

Comment

I swear people just have selective hearing. I don't think it would have mattered what you told him, he wasn't going to hear anything unless you told him you would fix. I love those people.
        "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts." - Steven Wright

Comment

Quoth BlakeMP
          You know, I'm pretty mad that the Cartoon Network keeps showing anime cartoons instead of the Flintstones and Looney Tunes like they used to -- why don't you take care of that for me too?
          Hey, I LIKE anime!

Of course, I like the classic WB stuff too...but it doesn't matter because I'm in Japan and don't get the Cartoon Network.

(there IS a CN Japan (where western cartoons are exotic and strange! ), but I can't afford cable. And I've got more than enough anime to watch...)
          thank you for shopping our Kmart

Comment

Quoth BlakeMP
            Don't start that mess, it's bad enough they decided to put non-cartoons on Cartoon Network. On my cable network, I got a choice between Cartoon Network and Disney Cartoon. Don't screw it up for me

However, I do agree they need to drop the silly decision they made to drop "old time" cartoons because of the PC pressure to not offend everyone who cry "wolf" for every "stereotype" that was made fun of back then. Everyone was a target, do you really think Elmer Fudd isn't a poke at the southern man.
            I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Interesting. I always thought Elmer Fudd was more New Hampshire-area than southern...
              Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

cn has a spin off network for the old cartoons now, its called boomerang, they still play dexters lab there too!!!

Comment

Technologically challenged

It's amazing how some people are technologically challenged. But then, the higher the technology, the more ignorant and fearful some people become. Of course it just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Comment

My customers rant & rave about us not having a couple of channels in HD & it gets SO old! We've explained that either said company won't let us have the format or we're working on it. Hell, half the ppl who write in call them "high density" channels anyway...
                    The universe is mostly empty space, and so is your job. ~Dilbert

Comment

Quoth Phone Jockey View Post
                      half the ppl who write in call them "high density" channels anyway...
                      Well, ya see, if you look at it like thi... well, maybe if you... ok, wait, then... ummm. The information is packed more tightly? Making it more dense?

I got nothin'.
                      Last edited by Broomjockey; 08-15-2006, 07:25 PM. Reason: format
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        The information is packed more tightly? Making it more dense?
                        No, I think "high density" just refers to PhoneJockey's customers.
                        Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Elmer Fudd: apparently, Fudd's original look was a young black, bald girl... (hence his largish head and large lips).

But the rest... ehh... I love the old loney tunes... and how do you get stereotypes out of Daffy and Roadrunner? I guess there's a bit in Sylvester and the Bulldog but... ?
                          Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Working...
                          X