This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See, no reason to be sucky. (longish)

This is most likely the wrong forum for this story, so I apologize in advance. This is a story about me. Where most customers would become instantly sucky and call up a company and scream and swear, I just sent a simple email, knowing billing errors happen.

The backstory:

I have been a customer of Sprint PCS for 6 years. I recently upgraded to the Sanyo Katana II Handset and elected to have the charge for the phone added to my next bill. The total for the phone after tax was around $194 and change ($75 rebate) and my normal phone bill is around $82. So with tax and all I was expecting a phone bill between $280-290. So I look online at my Sprint account is $512. My bill had not yet been printed so I couldn't view it online, so I sent Sprint the following email:

Customer Name: MrSunshineState
    Sprint PCS Phone Number: XXXXXXXXXX
    Account Number: XXXXXXXXXX
    Form: Ask A Question-Manage
    Topic: Pricing

Question: I have a feeling I may have been charged twice for my new handset. I
    recently upgraded to the Katana II and elected to have the price of the phone
    charged to my next invoice. I received a $75 rebate so I think the final price
    of the phone with tax was around $194 and my normal bill is around $82 so I was
    expecting a bill this month around $280. Currently my bill is reflecting $512.
    I had a couple of downloads but nothing more than $3 or $4. Can you please
    research this and get back to me? Thanks in advance for your help!

Sprint's response:

Dear MrSunshineState,

Thank you for contacting Sprint. I understand your concern regarding the high
    bill. I will surely resolve your concern up to your satisfaction.

I have checked and noticed that the account has been charged incorrectly for the
    cancellation fee of $200.00. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused
    to you due to these charges. Please be assured as the phone charge was correct
    on the account.

However, please need not worry as I have corrected the charges on the account.
    Also, I have applied the credit of $200.00 along with the taxes on the account
    to avoid further inconvenience. Now, the account balance is $282.14.

Once again I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced due to the
    high charges.

Thank you for emailing us. Please feel free to write back if you have any other
    questions. Have a great day!

Where most people elect to be sucky, I remained civil and they still fixed my problem. No need to scream, cry, or curse.

You know, I betcha it got fixed faster for the politeness too. Otherwise it probably would go on the "Solve during the next Ice Age" pile until you called in. I think that polite behaviour makes people WANT to help you because it is sadly such a novel concept these days.

Edit: Broke 1k posts and never even noticed!
    Last edited by Broomjockey; 07-21-2007, 07:55 AM. Reason: wow, blew right past 1000 and didn't notice
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth MrSunshineState View Post
      Where most people elect to be sucky, I remained civil and they still fixed my problem. No need to scream, cry, or curse.
      And it helps that you explained your problem clearly, gave them the relevant details needed to help you, and were completely honest about what charges were legitimate.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I work in Online Customer Service for a famous video game and the difference is quite clear.

"Hello, I lost item X arround Y, could you check and restore it, if that is possible? Thanks XXX."

"WHERE IS MY ITEM X?!?! IT WAS IN MY INVENTORY BEFORE NOW ITS NOT! I WANT IT BACK!"
        http://www.deezer.com/#music/album/100130
        Melody Gardot

Comment

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay you!!!!!!!!
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

You're a million kinds of godly.

Comment

Yay you. On behalf of all call center reps, I thanks you.
              "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

That was a beautiful letter.
                Calm, concise, polite and respectful.

Can we clone you???
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Here's your halo. Don't forget to duck as you go through low doorways
                  A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                  - Dave Barry

Comment

Working...
                  X