This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Mixed Bag View Post
    So, if I prefer the hardware attributes of another brand, I can install Linux or the iPod OS on such a model? (he asked, making sure everyone knew he was referring to lawful activity only)
    On the legal issue:
    You can't install iPod OS on another brand of player (even if it could accept it), because iPod OS belongs to Apple and it's only licensed for the iPod it's on.

Linux on the other hand is open source and free for use. So you can use it how you see fit as long as you make your "adjustments" open source as well if you choose to let someone else use it.
    I've lost my mind ages ago. If you find it, please hide it.

Comment

Squall, no one thinks Target is French. They're just making a joke at Target's (and themselves, if they buy there) expense. They know they're not going to a high end store.

Calling Target "Tarjay" is a perfect definition of irony.

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
        Squall, no one thinks Target is French. They're just making a joke at Target's (and themselves, if they buy there) expense. They know they're not going to a high end store.

Calling Target "Tarjay" is a perfect definition of irony.
        No, some people do think Target is a french company. There was one of those annoying chain emails going around about how Target refuses to give money to Verterans groups, but will to GLBT groups, because it's a French company or something stupid like that.

Target is actually partially owned by a French company, but it owns something like 5% of the stock, if that.

ETA: here's a Snopes article on that e-mail
        http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/target.asp

Comment

Ah, didn't know that. But then, I don't typically talk to people that believe chain emails to begin with.

Comment

Quoth AFpheonix View Post
            Ah, didn't know that. But then, I don't typically talk to people that believe chain emails to begin with.
            Really? I talk to them all day.

People that ask me if their Sims card will fit into this phone? What about this one? Or that one over there? *First of all the thing is a d*mn SIM card, it's like these people think they were invented by Ernie freaking Sims! Second, yes, for the last time, any [our carrier] SIM card will fit into any [our carrier] phone!*

People that ask me if we have the "Silver" phone. *The d*mn thing is a SLVR, it's pronounced "sliver," no we don't carry it. Go away.*

People that ask me if they need an adaptor to use their car charger in a foreign car, because they had heard that other countries used different electrical outlets. *Yes, it happened. Yes, I kept a straight face, but only until they left.*

They are the same people that tell me with a straight face that they don't use Secret deodorant because it causes cancer, that they will never spend a dime on Proctor and Gamble products because they are owned by Satanists, and that eating Pop Rocks and soda together will kill you. I call them customers.
            Dips: The best karma happens when you let a jerk bash themselves senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

Comment

You can put Linux on the iPod with no problems, and even have both operating systems on there, choosing which one you want to use when the iPod boots up.

It doesn't void the warranty at all, and if there is ever a mistake you can just wipe the ipod and set it back to factory standards in a few minutes.
              "Time shall help me face my painful memories with indifference, and with more of it, I won't feel the need to face them at all..."

Comment

Back OT, "Do you guys sell games?"
                M: Board, card, or video? The first two, oddly enough, yes, the third? Not a chance in hell.
                "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth BeckySunshine View Post
                  Grrrrrrrrrrrrr...it makes my teeth itch to hear it pronounced that way. Trying to make the name of the store sound French does NOT make it a high priced specialty store, you know...
                  It's called irony.
                  Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Quoth trunks2k View Post
                    IIRC, technically the commentator is correct. The IPod itself doesn't play mp3s but rather converts MP3s and such into a proprietory format doesn't it? That's what I recall hearing, but I don't own an IPOD, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

But yeah, it's basically an MP3 player.
                    Time for some technical corrections.

The iPod is able to play MP3s. It can also play a number of other formats. It is price-competitive, although some players have random other features that I never use anyway (like FM radio... no longer a point with my library with me). iTunes is awesome, as well. Definitely the best jukebox around, in my opinion.

Most of my library is in MP3 or AAC (Mpeg-4) format, as it's either iTMS stuff or from my CDs or from LEGAL free sources. I'm currently slowing my use of the iTMS because of the DRM. However, I still use the iTMS for music videos and TV shows every now and then. It's great for when you need some cheap entertainment away from home, but have wifi. You just buy a couple TV episodes, and watch'em to kill time. Great at the airport!

(Note to general public: It's the iPod. Not the Ipod. Not the IPod. Not the ipood. It's the iPod. Same deal with iTunes. Also, Macintosh computers are Macs, not Max, Macks, or MACs. I know these are all extremely common misspellings, and that makes things easy to confuse, so I thought I'd throw that out there.)
                    Last edited by Cvstos; 08-12-2006, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I don't think a lesson in iPod ettiquette in spelling or capitalization corrections is neccesary. Other mp3 players play mpeg-4 and WAVs as well, so I believe that saying it is not an mp3 player is reading into semantics a little too deeply. Other mp3 players have some of the same basic functions and conversions, and people act like iPod is the only one you should buy and they are wrong. I'm not trying to be rude, just throwing it out there. They may have the market cornered in the portable video market, I will give it that. There will be competitors in due time. But for mp3s or wavs, I'll settle for a cheaper product, the makers of iPod are fat cats and will do fine without my business I'm sure.
                      Last edited by squall; 08-13-2006, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X