This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An old story from my experience......

I saw another thread about having gas pumps shut off due to a fire threat, and customers still trying to pump gas. It reminds me of one I once had happen.

I was working graveyard shift at this c-store in my hometown. Business was fairly dead, so I was going about the busy work chores on my duty roster. All of a sudden, I see this car come flying into the parking lot, headed straight for the nearest gas pump. Smoke is billowing from the back of the car, and I see the glow of flames shooting out from under the car.

I just felt my jaw drop in disbelief. Sure enough, he stops right in the middle of all the gas pumps and bails out of the car. I make a bee line for the emergency cut off behind the counter and grab the phone to call 911. Of course, I'm trying to keep my whits about me. The guy comes in huffing and puffing, "MY CAR'S ON FIRE!!! MY CAR'S ON FIRE!!!!"

I'm already on the phone trying to relay the problem to the emergency dispatcher, and trying to think of anywhere to go that I could be shielded if it gets worse. The only door to the building is the front door FACING THE PUMPS. I was literally in a state of disbelief as I told the dispatcher what was happening.

So, my only response to the guy as he's telling me about his car being on fire, "I KNOW!!!! I CAN SEE THAT!!!! GO MOVE IT AWAY FROM THE PUMPS, QUICKLY!!!! WHY WOULD YOU EVEN PULL IT UP TO THE PUMPS OF ALL PLACES?????!!!!!!!!"

The next minute or two was literally a blur, but I stayed in the building because I couldn't even think straight. My mind was just racing. I'd lost track of the guy driving the car. The fire trucks arrived shortly. It didn't take too long for the firefighters to put the fire out. It was like I was on the phone trying to think what to do, then all of a sudden time just flashed forward.

The first thing I did after that was lock the doors, then call the manager to tell her what had happened. Then, I realized that the guy was still around, I'd totally forgotten about him. He was talking to the police. I just kept the doors locked and stayed inside the building until the manager came. Then, I told one of the police officers about what had happened, and the manager sent me home early. I think she finished shutting the store down, and just closed up shop until her shift the next day.

Honestly, I remember enough to know most of what happened, but some of the details are unclear. It was just like one of those Star Trek episodes in which time becomes distorted and skips forward at random intervals. Plus, things like that just never seemed to happen, so I was shocked.
    The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Wow..

At least you had teh wherewithall to shut down the pumps. Some people would've just run!

Comment

A friend of mine had something similar. The guy parked up between the pumps, flames licking around from under the bonnet of his car. He was getting out as my chum got on the tannoy and bellowed "Get your car off the forecourt!"

"I need a fire extinguisher!"

"Get out!"

"I only want to borrow it..."

Rapscallion

Comment

You know now something very, very valuable about yourself: you do the right thing in an emergency.

Be proud.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

It seems that I do have a capacity for handling most situations with a calm face, even if I have no idea how to deal with it. Even when people get to freaking out over whatever circumstance, I just don't get overly upset. About the only time I get worked up is when someone has done something to piss me off, then it's just a matter of telling that person to go to hell and how to get there.
          The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Anybody else thinking of the gasoline fight in Zoolander?
            Jim: Fact: Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.
            Dwight: Bears don't eat bee... Hey! What are you doing?
            The Office

Comment

Quoth I8DaCookie View Post
              The guy's car is on fire and his first thought is to...pull into a gas station?
              Yep. He's a winner. Let's hope he's bred.

Quoth I8DaCookie View Post
              Someone get me my drool rag.
              I'm not touching it. You handle your own germs.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
              X