Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I said, and GK confirmed, the DS does pretty much all the stuff the PSP does, more easily, and cheaper, and sometimes better (remember that the PSP limits the quality on flash-based media) just with a smaller screen.

But a portable CD player is still the best way to go for media on the move.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Yes but the DS, like all things Nintendo, has a smattering of weird and cute and obnoxious games that I'll never want to play. PSP has Need for Speed, Moto GP, Grand Theft Auto, and Final Fantasy -- Games I actually care about playing lmao. I use my DS for the occasional Trauma Center and Mario Kart. Otherwise it sits there and does nothing.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
        [Thread Hijack]

( The mem cards are twice as much as the standard SD flash cards my DS uses ) and homebrew ( Sony hates homebrew ),
        [/Thread Hijack]
        Has he looked at the SanDisk website? They sell the same memory sticks without the Sony brand on it. Mine all came from there.

And I agree with the homebrew thing. Sony could be giving the DS alot more competition if they would embrace the mod community instead of trying to fight them.

Lastly, please note: I COMPLETELY agree with the folks saying a portable DVD player is a better choice for viewing your movies. I tend to use my PSP because I also play games and poke around on the net, and I don't want to cart around a PSP, DS, Portable DVD (yes, I have one), Laptop, and a couple of books (for when I get bored ) Especially at a gaming con, where I'll likely have my D&D manuals, 7th Seas manuals, and Injurious Games (www.redshirtgames.com the pics of the grey rats with the big, albino Mutie and the marines with the blue flames paint job are mine) minis in the bag already. Think of my back!
        Last edited by Geek King; 07-27-2007, 04:28 PM.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
          Yes but the DS, like all things Nintendo, has a smattering of weird and cute and obnoxious games that I'll never want to play. PSP has Need for Speed, Moto GP, Grand Theft Auto, and Final Fantasy -- Games I actually care about playing lmao. I use my DS for the occasional Trauma Center and Mario Kart. Otherwise it sits there and does nothing.
          Psst, the main Final Fantasy series is on the DS right now. FFXI: Revenent Wings. FFTA 2 will also be on the DS. Not to mention FF Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate. There's also a full 3D remake of Final Fantasy 4 (3 US) coming on the heels of the first FF3 DS 3d remake. The DS has its full share of games that aren't "cute and obnoxious" as you put it. Plus you're seriously missing out if you're passing on the "weird" ones. ( EBA, OTO ftw! ). Not to mention goodies like Metroid, Zelda and the Castlevania series. ;p Heck, even Dragon Quest DS is coming. If you liked Trauma Center you seriously need to look into the upcoming Lifesigns. too, btw.

The only FF title slated for the PSP is just a port of FFT. Which I already own, thanks. My coworker has a PSP. He spends most of his time playing some cute, weird, obnoxious golf game and obsessing about getting cat ears for his nun or playing GTA. Which I've played enough of already, thanks. -.-

Has he looked at the SanDisk website? They sell the same memory sticks without the Sony brand on it. Mine all came from there.
          Doubtful considering his complaining about it, but I'll throw him the link at work tonight and guide him towards the light.
          Last edited by Gravekeeper; 07-27-2007, 05:13 PM.

Comment

I just can't help it, I don't like Phoenix Wright or games called "Rocket Slime". But I'm addicted to Armored Core and Ace Combat

Comment

Quoth Pezzle View Post
              I just can't help it, I don't like Phoenix Wright or games called "Rocket Slime". But I'm addicted to Armored Core and Ace Combat
              Then don't buy those games... -.- its not like you're forced to buy every game a system has on it. If you were you'd be owning some obnoxiously cute PSP games already. Not to mention the relentless re-releases of PS1 games. Heck, there's even ports of GBA games going to the PSP. ( Riveria? What the hell? )

Also, don't diss Phoenix. Phoenix rules. ;9

But enough thread jacking.

Comment

Yeah! What he said! (and not just 'cause I'm a fangirl, either)

*digs out her Phoenix Wright background image*

One of the games I picked up recently on the DS is Etrian Odyssey, which is basically a type of dungeon crawl. Only one of the things you have to do is to actually map the areas you explore on your own. It's a bit old school and a bit hard core. You can only save in town.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Then don't buy those games... -.- its not like you're forced to buy every game a system has on it. If you were you'd be owning some obnoxiously cute PSP games already. Not to mention the relentless re-releases of PS1 games. Heck, there's even ports of GBA games going to the PSP. ( Riveria? What the hell? )

But enough thread jacking.
                  Hey I'm not sayin' mario isn't fun! Hell, there's a Resident Evil for DS i need to get my hands on. I'm just saying that the DS has a large collection of games I'm not interested in and thus I was more inclined to get the PSP, which had a far wider collection of dogfighting mech building carjacking games, which is all me. You're getting interestingly defensive about a portable game system. You probably just don't have your ESP on and thus couldn't decipher the semi sarcastic tone in my fingers when I typed ^-^

Comment

There's also a full 3D remake of Final Fantasy 4 (3 US)
                    Er... since when? FF4 is the US' FF2. FF3 was 6 in Japan.
                    "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Juwl View Post
                      Er... since when? FF4 is the US' FF2. FF3 was 6 in Japan.
                      6, 6. Whichever it was. The one where Sabin Bum Rushes. -.-

One of the games I picked up recently on the DS is Etrian Odyssey, which is basically a type of dungeon crawl. Only one of the things you have to do is to actually map the areas you explore on your own. It's a bit old school and a bit hard core. You can only save in town.
                      Ugh, yes, I'm playing that at the moment. The designers must hate humanity. Decent game, pretty old school, but the difficulty level is bordering on vindictive. ;p Until you learn how to build a party that works and which skills don't suck arse its pretty arduous.

You probably just don't have your ESP on and thus couldn't decipher the semi sarcastic tone in my fingers when I typed
                      No, no I didn't. You were sounding too much like one of those Gamespot PSP zealot posters. -.- Seen the PSP "Lite" yet?

I'm anxiously waiting Phoenix Wright 3 in September.

Comment

Ugh, yes, I'm playing that at the moment. The designers must hate humanity. Decent game, pretty old school, but the difficulty level is bordering on vindictive. ;p Until you learn how to build a party that works and which skills don't suck arse its pretty arduous.
                        An Alchemist and the healer class are both musts. And I like a Survivalist to complete my back row, with a Protector (or whatever the paladin-type is called) and the fighter type that can use axes up front.

I'm anxiously waiting Phoenix Wright 3 in September.
                        Gah. I don't even have PW2, yet. What I'm looking to get right now is Ouendan, but I haven't been trying very hard because finances are just too tight.

^-.-^

Comment

Working...
                        X