This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to petrol... and new levels of suckiness

Just started working in the petrol station, after a few weeks of training... and today, I experienced many SCs.

1. Pushing in rude woman.

This woman couldn't wait; she threw a fiver at me and shouted "Pump 3!" I replied she had to wait her turn; she replied, "Fuck you." and walked out. The man I was serving then said, "What a bitch," thus raising my spirits. XD

2. Let's blow the station sky high shall we?

It was going flat out when 3 pumps needed authorisation simultainiously. I authorised 2, then was about to authorise the third one when I saw that the guy had a cigarette in his mouth. I pointed this out to my collegue and neither of us authorised the pump. Eventually, the SC first waved at us, then came storming up to the window, ciggie in hand, and started banging on the glass. My collegue indicated that he should put out his ciggie; he didn't seem to understand, probably cuz my collegue wasn't speaking idiotese. Finally, the SC went back to his car, and stormed off with a squeal of tires.

3. Another "can't wait" SC.

Like the first woman, this woman wanted to push in. She however didn't go, but hovered at the fringes of the queue bleating, "But they always let me go first!" and "I'm in a hurry!" Eventually, she joined the queue muttering under her breath.

4. Mr "I want a game card!"

This guy came back after a transaction earlier to demand a game card. Now, the game cards are only given out at the main supermarket, never at the petrol station. He still kept insisting that we were wrong and he should have one. My collegue told him that we hadn't been issued any, and we'd been told that we didn't have to give them out. In the end the SC muttered, "Fine," and went out in a huff.

I am now feeling so much sympathy for those of you who work full time in petrol stations. O_o
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

I think that any time anyone is smoking at the pumps, you should hit the shut off button.

Then, when everybody complains, you can just point to the smoker and let them all know it's his fault.

I imagine the result would likely ensure the dipshit won't be smoking at the pumps again, any time soon.

^-.-^
    Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Funny you should mention that Andara, that's actually the policy for the gas company I work for. And don't worry about it Lace, i've worked where I am for almost 3 years, and i've gotten just about every rude, ignorant, obnoxious and crazy person. Try not to let it wear away at you, I just smile and laugh at them.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
        Just started working in the petrol station, after a few weeks of training... and today, I experienced many SCs.

<snip>

I am now feeling so much sympathy for those of you who work full time in petrol stations. O_o
        Thankyou! If only customers saw what it was like...

That smoking one... I've said it before, and I'll say it here again.
        The mind boggles. Why???

Quoth Andreamic View Post
        Funny you should mention that Andara, that's actually the policy for the gas company I work for. And don't worry about it Lace, i've worked where I am for almost 3 years, and i've gotten just about every rude, ignorant, obnoxious and crazy person. Try not to let it wear away at you, I just smile and laugh at them.
        Me too... But only because if I didn't, I would seriously have a nervous breakdown sooner rather then later.
        Last edited by Sir Spaniard the 12th; 07-25-2007, 10:10 PM.
        3 Basic rules for ordering food.
        - Order from the menu.
        - If you order something that will take some time to cook, then be prepared to wait.
        - Don't talk about Fight Club.

Comment

Do you work for ESSO?
          "If it offends one person, it effects everyone".....me, on the PC world in which we dwell.

Comment

*sees customer smoking on pump 5; hits emergency shutoff for all pumps; gets on PA*

"Sorry folks, but some asshole at pump 5 is smoking a cigarette. As soon as he puts it out, you can finish pumping."

*sit back and watch the feathers fly*
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

My one friend worked at a gas station near my house. One time a guy walked in and bought some random doodads then asked if there's a phone he could use. There was a phone but it was employees-and-emergencies only, not a pay phone. My friend asked what he needed the phone for, and the guy said as calmly as one would ask the time, "oh, my car (points to the lot next to the pumps) is on fire and I need to call someone about that".

At that moment my friend became an Olympic sprinter to get to the shutoff button in about .05 seconds.
              "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth CancelMyService View Post
                My one friend worked at a gas station near my house. One time a guy walked in and bought some random doodads then asked if there's a phone he could use. There was a phone but it was employees-and-emergencies only, not a pay phone. My friend asked what he needed the phone for, and the guy said as calmly as one would ask the time, "oh, my car (points to the lot next to the pumps) is on fire and I need to call someone about that".

At that moment my friend became an Olympic sprinter to get to the shutoff button in about .05 seconds.
                So this guy's car is on fire and he comes strolling in, buys some stuff, and then asks about using a phone?

I can tell you from experience, that when my car starts showing flames, I am out of that sucker with everything important (people, medication, & ID, in that order) and that it's as safe as I can make it before making a beeline to the closest phone (my cell, these days) to call 911.

It's a real bring down when you realize there are flames coming out from under the hood and licking the windshield....

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Dave1982 View Post
                  *sees customer smoking on pump 5; hits emergency shutoff for all pumps; gets on PA*

"Sorry folks, but some asshole at pump 5 is smoking a cigarette. As soon as he puts it out, you can finish pumping."

*sit back and watch the feathers fly*
                  Oh, that would seriously rule. I can see some people digging out anything they could find to hit the idiot with.

Quoth WHShit View Post
                  Do you work for ESSO?
                  Nope; I still work for the supermarket; just started working shifts at the petrol station now for a change.
                  People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                  My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                    This woman couldn't wait; she threw a fiver at me and shouted "Pump 3!" I replied she had to wait her turn; she replied, "Fuck you." and walked out.
                    Isn't that when you pocket the money and report her as a drive off?
                    SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
                    SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

You know, the more I read here, the more I am convinced I live in a particularly polite town. I've don't recall ever having someone break in line in front of me, or seeing it done to anyone else.

Of course, here in the south, someone who did would probably be subject to an immediate and intense ass whuppin' by a crowd of pissed off people.

Which leads me to ponder "If people are prone to fight, does that make for a more polite society?" I mean, think about it. If someone thinks an ass whuppin' is highly unlikely, would they not then be more prone to act like an asshat? Think about this: could it be possible that the MORE prone a group of people are to fight that the LESS they will actually fight? Hm. Something to think about.

Comment

Friend of mine used to work in a fuel station. Had a moron drive in with flames coming out from under the bonnet and park between the pumps, shouting out to ask if there was an extinguisher anywhere he could use.

His parting shot was "I only wanted to borrow it..."

Rapscallion

Comment

I smoke and I'm amazed each and every time I see someone smoking at a pump. I'm all for Darwinism in action, but don't take me out along with you.

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                          You know, the more I read here, the more I am convinced I live in a particularly polite town. I've don't recall ever having someone break in line in front of me, or seeing it done to anyone else.

Of course, here in the south, someone who did would probably be subject to an immediate and intense ass whuppin' by a crowd of pissed off people.
                          Not trying to stereotype, but from the southern writers/bloggers I've read, I thought that southern politeness had more to do with the importance of not doing something that would shame your Mom. Am I misinterperting that?
                          Last edited by auntiem; 07-26-2007, 10:07 PM.

Comment

From what I understand, people down South are a lot more easy going and they don't always have a huge golf club up their ass the way people from, say, Northwest WI do!

Any person I've ever met from the South (with the exception of panhandlers in Minnesota from Louisianna) has been nothing but kind and truly showed "southern hospitality".

Everyone up here is in a 24/7 hurry hurry rush rush panic panic panic and everyone else is a "fucker" or "fag" or "asshole". No "sir" or "ma'ame"
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                              From what I understand, people down South are a lot more easy going and they don't always have a huge golf club up their ass the way people from, say, Northwest WI do!
                              As someone who grew up in WI, and lived in TX for 2 years, I've got to disagree. Sorry Blas.

I met a lot of really nice people there. I also met some very nasty people.

Instead of rush rush rush, it's extreme laziness, and Illiterate ramblings. Also, there is a lot of judgemental opinions that are prevalent through a lot of communities. If you aren't a white male christian, you are a second class citizen. There is a distinct lack of tolerance.

I heard a lot of very very nasty comments at work. Such as "All gays should be burned." "Catholics aren't Christian (due to the fact that they aren't fanatical enough??)" "Wiccans are evil"

I much prefer everyone in a rush, than that attitude.
                              Last edited by Ree; 07-27-2007, 01:22 AM.
                              I'm just me. I like it. Stop trying to change what I like!

Comment

Working...
                              X