Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With friends like mine, who needs SCs? ...but I get them anyway.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am going to go out on a limb and actually say I can see how the lady might not recognize her own son.

No, seriously.

Picture this: she is out shopping, and to her knowledge, her husband has their son. So she is not going to be looking for nor expecting her son to be around. Out of the corner of her eye, she notices a kid kind of tailing her. Not wanting to be obvious about it, she never looks directly at him. But the kid continues to follow her, and she is starting to get nervous. You know how strange kids can be these days. So she contacts the employee of the store to report the weird behavior, never realizing that the kid tailing her is her own son.

Farfetched, you say? Kevin Smith's mother, who was not expecting to see him on tv protesting his own movie under an assumed name, looked right at her son and didn't see him as her son. Now, do you still think the above scenario is that implausible, unlikely, etc?

When things are out of the context you have set for them in your mind, you often don't see them as they are. Remember that.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Excellent point Jester! But it had to be embarassing for the mother, that's the kind of moment where you want to sink into the floor

Comment

There's actually a condition that some people have that makes them unable to recognize faces...doesn't matter whose it is.

http://www.prosopagnosia.com/

It's really interesting, and would be very hard to live with I imagine.

That said...it doesn't sound like this is the case.

Comment

CrabbyCabbie has that - he's not posted in a while, but he's mentioned it a time or two.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Kilamon View Post
            Kevin Smith, director for Dogma, Mallrats, Clerks, and other films, wasn't recognized by his mother either. He tells a great story...
            Oh, man, that's funny. I've always liked him.

Quoth Jester View Post
            When things are out of the context you have set for them in your mind, you often don't see them as they are. Remember that.
            I wish my old GM could have remembered that. He ran some really brilliant campaigns, but there were so many times when he'd drop clues about where to go and the whole lot of us would be floundering because we didn't have the right context to understand them.

Actually, that reminds me of a time we were doing a small live-action Vampire campaign with a different friend. We found evidence of a helicopter having landed in one spot. I don't think we ever figured that one out on our own.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Nox View Post
              A woman came up to the register complaining that a kid was following her around. I called the manager. Turns out the stalker was her own son. He'd been with his father at another store, then decided to find her. She didn't recognise him.

Who does this... Gotta wonder if the kid has any self-esteem left.
              Tamezin

Comment

But Kevin Smith's mom said "that guy looks JUST like you" - so she DID recognize him in that sense, but assumed the television crew HAD probably checked ID and that the guy was really named "Brian Johnson". So she assumed the news was reporting the truth - that this guy named Brian Johnson was out protesting the film. But we all know that the news hardly tells the truth or checks their facts out before airing something - if the news reporter couldn't get his ID to check the name - and assumed it was the actual filmmaker, then she shouldn't have run the story.....it's not a credible story at all b/c it was a guy protesting as a joke.... anyway end rant on local news media.

I understand the context thing though - but you would think the kid might have said "mom" at some point or another to get her to turn around - why would he just be following behind her the entire time and never say anything?? - Especially if it seemed she kept trying to get away from him? I'd yell out "mom" to get her to stop. Or why not just turn around and LOOK at the kid dead in the face and say "did you need something"? to get him to stop tailing you..... and where was the kid when she was "reporting the suspicious behavior"? Shouldn't he have been right behind her if he was "stalking" her?? Just a weird story.

Comment

I still think it's possible that Daddy got Sonny Boy a new outfit and a haircut.

Possible, yes, but probable?
                  Unseen but seeing
                  oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                  There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                  3rd shift needs love, too
                  RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                  X