This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rude.

Okay, we've all said how rude and irritating it is when we greet a customer at the door and they either grunt or utterly ignore us.

But here's one of my pet peeves on par with that at the register.

Me: "Did you find everything okay?"
    SC:

Thank-you for ignoring me. In my opinion that's as good as saying, "Why yes, I found everything fine." And, if you didn't, well, too bad I guess since you're too good to talk to me.

Or,

SC: "Doesn't matter- you can't do anything about it even if I didn't."

How could you possibly KNOW what I can and/or can't do? You might be surprised at the fact that I indeed can find many things in the store that you cannot.

To continue...

Me: "What did you want that you couldn't find?"
    SC: "Oh, nothing. I was just proving a point."

Actually, no. As my Grandmother says- the only point you've proven is the one your head forms.

*sigh*
    "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
    HellGate: London

Even when I'm grumpy and just off work, I'm still polite and will respond to questions like that with "Yes, thank you." I often go grocery shopping around midnight-1am, given that our Meijer is 24/7 and I work nearby, and I'm always super-polite to all the help, as I know I'm glad I'm off work, and they're still stuck there. Maybe it's just cuz my mom raised me right, I don't know...but rudeness just abounds nowadays, and makes me sad.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I HATE that. I say "Hello" to every single person who comes up to my register. Approximately 2 % actually respond. If I am in a bad mood I will say, "And how are you today?" in the most syrupy-sweet kindergarten teacher voice I can conjure. You WILL speak to me, damn it!
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

When I'm not working, I sometimes just let my mind wander. Sometimes, I don't immediately notice the greeters when I walk in somewhere that I frequent like Wal-Mart or Best Buy, but I don't ignore the help if they manage to catch my attention. I still speak to them and act like a civilized human being once my mind comes back to reality. I'm just one of those people who is usually thinking about five or six different things at once, and so I come off a little distracted quite frequently.
        The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

I'm really shy, and if I'm greeted while shopping, I just reply with "hi." I'm more talkative if I need help or I'm at a register, though. At work, I greet with "hi" or "what would you like?" cos really, people want their 3am fast food to be fast, they don't want small talk. But if small talk is started, it will be politely continued.
          Michael: Maybe you'll be inspired by the boat party tonight and start a career as a pirate.
          Tobias: I haven't packed for that.
          <3 Arrested Development

Comment

IF they don't ask then how can they expect you to help them? Having a customer getting snotty at you cause they think you can't is annoying as hell.

Comment

I'd say about 25 percent of my customers completely ignore me when I say hello. When I follow up with a direct question like "Can I help you find something today?", a good number of people still ignore me.

The implication is that I'm just some retail worker, not worth even a second of breath from these people. If you don't need help, just say so and I'll leave you alone. If you don't, I'll probably ask you again, assuming you didn't hear me the first time. And that really pisses people off.

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

Even if I'm in the crappiest mood imaginable, if a salesperson greets me, I at least give them a nod and the most sincere smile I can manage. Not worth writing home about, but at least I try not make the salesperson feel as though they're not bothering me.

But for the customer to get all snippy at you just because they couldn't find anything (which, by the way, is NOT your fault) is inexecusable.
                Last edited by Marxfan; 08-03-2007, 10:42 AM.
                "I used to be Snow White... but I drifted."~Mae West

Comment

Just a note, which I mentioned last time this came up, but not everybody who doesn't respond is "ignoring" you.

I'd wager that about 40% of the time, my head is in the clouds, and I'm only paying enough attention to my surroundings to not walk in front of a bus.

I've had Nekojin get my attention and then speak a whole sentence and I'll have already zoned out and will realize about a minute later that I need to ask him to repeat himself. If I'm not actively paying attention, and you say "hi" to me, you're not going to get a response. And I'm not walking back after I'm halway through the store and my mind prods me that someone said something. Sorry, but shopping is not a taxing event, and I use that time to think of other things.

^-.-^
                  Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post
                    Me: "What did you want that you couldn't find?"
                    SC: "Oh, nothing. I was just proving a point."
                    What kind of point could you possibly be making? That you want nothing? Brillant...
                    I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Oh, dear, it's not the ones that ignore me that get to me. It's the ones that view my greeting as an affront to their supreme greatness.

Me: Hello!

SC: *death glare* (How dare you speak to me without first being spoken to, lowly servile worm?!)
                      Mike: I'm gonna tell my boss I'm Puma Man, maybe he'll let me off early.

- "Puma Man", MST3K.

Comment

Quoth Posture Moll View Post
                        Oh, dear, it's not the ones that ignore me that get to me. It's the ones that view my greeting as an affront to their supreme greatness.

Me: Hello!

SC: *death glare* (How dare you speak to me without first being spoken to, lowly servile worm?!)

At the conv. store I used to work at, I would test to see if people would listen when they came in the door,(but only with regulars).
                        Instead of saying "welcome to 7-eleven", I wold say something like "welcome to hell", or "screw you mom". Only two or three people would pick up on it, and then I would have to explain.
                        And the sky was full of stars... and every star, an exploding ship, one of ours...

Comment

I stopped asking "Did you find everything ok today?" when I started getting really inappropriate responses from men.

Never had a problem with it at the lady's clothing store or the grocery store....
                          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth NightAngel View Post

SC: "Doesn't matter- you can't do anything about it even if I didn't."
                            Actually when that happens to me, it's kinda true If we're out of the product, the best I can do is a raincheck (if it's on sale) but that's it. I have no idea when our shipments come in cause that's just not my job. I'm not even around when they ship stuff in.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                              Just a note, which I mentioned last time this came up, but not everybody who doesn't respond is "ignoring" you.

I'd wager that about 40% of the time, my head is in the clouds, and I'm only paying enough attention to my surroundings to not walk in front of a bus.

^-.-^
                              I do that all the time.

As to walking in front of vehicles because you're busy spacing, be careful- That's how Gaudi died.
                              "Respect: to admit that something one may not enjoy or prefer might still have great value." ~L. Munoa

Comment

Working...
                              X