This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ugh.

so i have two stories from the lovely Inn where I work.

story 1:

I was fixing the coffee machine in the breakfast area (it's pretty impressive; it makes one cup at a time, there are seven different coffee selections, plus hot water--but it breaks down pretty often), when this old lady comes up behind me and says, with a sneer, "what is that contraption you're working on?"

i reply, "it's our coffee maker."

"I suppose it only makes one cup at a time?"

Me, "um...yes."

I finish fixing it, reset it and close the door. "Give it just a minute to reset. When the screen says 'Welcome' you can get a cup."

"Is it instant?" she asks me, sneering again, as though i'm something she's scraped off the bottom of her shoe.

"nope," i point to the plastic coffee bean reservoir on top. "the beans go in there, and when you make your selection, they drop down into the grinder, and then into the press. then hot water runs through them and you get your coffee."

i go to the desk to check a few people out, and when i come back to check the breakfast area, she is sipping at something with obvious distaste.

"did the machine work alright?" i ask her, afraid it had broken down again.

"oh, it did...whatever it does," she responded, with a dismissive wave of her hand. "and by the way, this IS instant."

WHAT THE FUCK?! even after i SHOWED her the coffee beans, told her how the machine works, she insists that it's instant coffee! IT IS NOT!

Story 2:

man comes down at around 3am to tell me his door won't close. sometimes the locks stick her, and as they're built into the handles, the handles get stuck in the open position. it's an easy fix, but not so easy to explain, so i lock up the office and follow him up to his room. on the elevator, he, reeking of beer, says to me,"so you gonna stay up here with me the rest of the night?" "i'm pretty sure i'd get fired and dumped," i respond. i walk to his door, fix the lock, and explain to him how to fix it if it happens again. i then go back downstairs. five minutes later, he is at the desk again, saying "that thing happened to my door again." "did you try and fix it the way i showed you?" i ask him. "yeah...but it didn't work."

so i, stupidly, follow him up to his room again. i'm walking in front of him and as soon as i'm within view of the door, i see that it's not stuck. i stop, turn and say, "you're door is fine, sir. i'm going back downstairs." as i try to walk past him, he says, "Stop! wait!" and grabs my arm. i look down at my arm where is hand is, then back up at his face. i am furious. and i think he knows it. "sir, there are cameras all over this hotel. you need to take your fucking hand off me and get out immediately."

"but...!"

"out. now."

i jerk my arm away from him and practically run down the stairs. i lock myself in the office and watch him leave on the moniters.

not a good night.

Quoth crawlspace View Post
    Story 2:

man comes down at around 3am to tell me his door won't close. sometimes the locks stick her, and as they're built into the handles, the handles get stuck in the open position. it's an easy fix, but not so easy to explain, so i lock up the office and follow him up to his room. on the elevator, he, reeking of beer, says to me,"so you gonna stay up here with me the rest of the night?" "i'm pretty sure i'd get fired and dumped," i respond. i walk to his door, fix the lock, and explain to him how to fix it if it happens again. i then go back downstairs. five minutes later, he is at the desk again, saying "that thing happened to my door again." "did you try and fix it the way i showed you?" i ask him. "yeah...but it didn't work."

so i, stupidly, follow him up to his room again. i'm walking in front of him and as soon as i'm within view of the door, i see that it's not stuck. i stop, turn and say, "you're door is fine, sir. i'm going back downstairs." as i try to walk past him, he says, "Stop! wait!" and grabs my arm. i look down at my arm where is hand is, then back up at his face. i am furious. and i think he knows it. "sir, there are cameras all over this hotel. you need to take your fucking hand off me and get out immediately."

"but...!"

"out. now."

i jerk my arm away from him and practically run down the stairs. i lock myself in the office and watch him leave on the moniters.

not a good night.
    Because obviously going up to fix his door, which is part of your job, is a thinly veiled come-on on your part.

What is it with these slope-headed, chromasome-deficient morons that give the rest of us Y chromasome holders a bad name?
    Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Quoth crawlspace, your hero View Post
      "nope," i point to the plastic coffee bean reservoir on top. "the beans go in there, and when you make your selection, they drop down into the grinder, and then into the press. then hot water runs through them and you get your coffee."
      Quoth stupid lady, your villian View Post
      "oh, it did...whatever it does," she responded, with a dismissive wave of her hand. "and by the way, this IS instant."
      And this boys and girls is why some people just don't deserve the goodness derived from freshly ground and brewed beans...If she can't tell the difference between freshly ground and brewed -vs- instant shit in a can, then she doesn't deserve the caffine.
      My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
        And this boys and girls is why some people just don't deserve the goodness derived from freshly ground and brewed beans...If she can't tell the difference between freshly ground and brewed -vs- instant shit in a can, then she doesn't deserve the caffine.
        Well, she knows the difference between instant and 'real' coffee!

'Real' coffee comes in those big glass pots that sit on the burner all day. This allows them to age properly... preferrably overnight... which brings out the full, delicate flavour of burnt charcoal with undertones of Mr. Clean.

THIS coffee is brewed right away, right into her cup, and therefore must be 'instant'. Regardless of how it actually tastes, it is therefore inferior, and must be snubbed.
        Check out my webcomic!

Comment

Story 1: I'd have said something even worse back... but I'm like that.
          Deepak Chopra says, "Fear deprives people of choice. Fear shrinks the world into isolated, defensive enclaves. Fear spirals out of control. Fear makes everyday life seem clouded over with danger.

Comment

Even if it was instant coffee who cares? Why not just quit moaning and go to Starbucks?
            No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
              Even if it was instant coffee who cares? Why not just quit moaning and go to Starbucks?
              but where's the fun in that?
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth PrincessKatieAirHostess View Post
                Why not just quit moaning and go to Starbucks?
                Some people just LOVE to find things to complain about.
                Unseen but seeing
                oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                3rd shift needs love, too
                RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Good for you on kicking that lowlife scumbag out! He sounds like the kind of guy who thinks that when a girl says "No", she means "Persuade me".
                  He got off lucky tho, if it had been me, he'd be wearing his testes as earrings...
                  The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                  X