This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Euro-Spec pricing

SC: Yeah, can you tell me how much this is?
    Me: *points to the big sticker on the back of the book*
    SC: $20?
    Me: (grabs the item and looks at the price tag) Thats the Euro price. It's $14.95.

Apparently the US Dollar $ turned into the Euro € sometime during the shipping process.

I work in a college town and the local university's initials are UK.

On the backs of many books and other items there will be a US price, a Canada price, and a UK price.

See where I am going with this?

https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I always cringed when a book had only a UK price on it. Because then the US price is usually approximately double the number the customer sees on the book. And of course they don't know the difference between the pound sign and the dollar sign.
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Hon'ya-chan View Post
        SC: Yeah, can you tell me how much this is?
        Me: *points to the big sticker on the back of the book*
        SC: $20?
        Me: (grabs the item and looks at the price tag) Thats the Euro price. It's $14.95.

Apparently the US Dollar $ turned into the Euro € sometime during the shipping process.
        So, wait, a book that's 20 euros is $14.95 us?! Shipping and handling to the UK must be killer! If that book were purchased in the states using the euro cost it would be $27.57! Is this a Microsoft book? I heard they were selling Vista for the same metric in Europe ($499 in US and E499 in Europe) for the same product, as though no one bothered to look up the little fact that euros and dollars have different values behind them.
        Bears are bad. If an animal is going to be mean it should look so, like sharks and alligators. - Mark Healey

Comment

Somewhat

Here's something I don't get: Most books in the US list US and Canadian prices. I work in the distribution center and occasionally come across mis-shipped books that are Canadian ediitons of books that are published in the US with both prices listed. If you publish a separate edition for Canada, why bother with the Canadian price on the US edition? And conversely, if you print both prices on the US edition, why bother printing a separate Canadian edition?
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
            And conversely, if you print both prices on the US edition, why bother printing a separate Canadian edition?
            Guh!
            *needs a drooling emoticon*
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              Somewhat

Here's something I don't get: Most books in the US list US and Canadian prices. I work in the distribution center and occasionally come across mis-shipped books that are Canadian ediitons of books that are published in the US with both prices listed. If you publish a separate edition for Canada, why bother with the Canadian price on the US edition? And conversely, if you print both prices on the US edition, why bother printing a separate Canadian edition?
              Actually, I could see this. I know Canada has content laws for broadcast media, but I'm not sure about printed media. That could be cause for a different printing. Any Canucks that could enlighten us?
              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
              X